It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Are Plants Aware of the World Around Them?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I know that the trees can communicate. I can't prove it but I know they can. I put my wireless wire tester on a tree and the signal was found in the branches of trees twenty feet away. It had a better signal than testing a wire on a car. The woods have intelligence not necessarily a single plant.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
I know that the trees can communicate. I can't prove it but I know they can. I put my wireless wire tester on a tree and the signal was found in the branches of trees twenty feet away. It had a better signal than testing a wire on a car. The woods have intelligence not necessarily a single plant.

I suspect there is some electromagnetic broadcast function too. I think for the most part it is a broadcast type signal that they each make. IE a steady state signal that alters under stress. This in turn modulates the other plants where they touch, and thus the signal travels.

I think sometimes what if this electromagnetic state could be forensically reconstructed- not sure what all plants record to some level- but when my imagination runs wild, I imagine that plants could tell a lot of tales, and could be the ultimate spy network, or solve a lot of whodunits.

edit on 7-6-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Have you ever heard of buck fever? Have you heard of experienced hunters getting lost in the woods? I know the woods and I know that they can turn you around and make you make mistakes. They can show you things or they can lead you out to safety too. The woods communicate with everyone but most people don't realize how. That is why many people fear the woods. The feeling is like your being watched but the trees of the forest can mess up your brainwaves. There is something in the bible about half of an army being lost to the woods. I know it may be possible. What you say about electromagnetics may be a clue to understanding this.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
They are connected to the source field that holds us all in and eyes that see are not corporal.

The Origins and Creationism forum USED to have some dignity, but it seems that in my absence it has all but disappeared to be replaced by lunacy and pseudo-science. We typically deal with evidence here, not speculation of the unfalsifiable.

Originally posted by detachedindividual
I looked into this after I saw it, and I read that plants even respond out of wind path, so whatever signal they release it reaches out in all directions and is not carried on the wind.

They could be communicating through their root systems.

It's fascinating, it proves awareness and communication, and it could even be argued that it indicates awareness of a community too.

Communication, yes. Conscious awareness, not at all.

Why warn other plants? Does that indicate some form of emotive response?

No, it does not indicate a form of emotive response. It is likely favored by natural selection as a communal defensive strategy. Say for every time you (a single plant) warns the community, you receive 9 warnings from other plants. That's a huge benefit for relatively little cost.

Originally posted by hadriana
Once I sat at an amusement park and realized that the trees were all bending away from the rides where there was a lot of screaming.

This could possibly be described by phototropism (growing towards a light source) if the rides are relatively big. However, plants have been known to react to the vibrations caused by sounds.

If you can't prove it, then how do you know? Claims like this are only important if you can demonstrate them. While trees can communicate through chemical signals, your experiment doesn't imply any sort of conscious communication.

edit on 8-6-2012 by PieKeeper because: Text was weird.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper

If you can't prove it, then how do you know? Your "experiment" doesn't imply conscious communication at all.
edit on 8-6-2012 by PieKeeper because: My text is being weird?
[/font]
edit on 8-6-2012 by PieKeeper because: (no reason given)

Knowing, intuitively, IS worth something. Its a real fallacy, IMO, to say that only quantifiable information is of any value. If you support science, then why would you be discouraging to someone that is trying to use a bit of methodology to confirm his intuitive hunches? A lot of the best science was done doing just that.

Consciousness is a loaded gun. Who can really define just what that is? And if we do define it, what gives us the right to apply our definition to other beings that have different sorts of organizational behavior in their cell structure?

It's also easy to think there is no science here because it sounds, well, hippy new age'ish to associate plants with a level of knowing and action. It's also probably very threatening to some. For instance, no one feels all that guilty about chopping down trees to build homes or eating spinach for dinner. After all, it is 'just' plants, and it is easy and safe to put plants in the THINGS category, instead of the potentially sentient beings category.

That said, any old farmer, or lover of horticulture - knows - deeply - that plants ARE livng beings. You know it when you forget to care for them, or care for them improperly, and they DIE. You start to notice that they have affinities.

When science dies a cold sterile death it will be because science's hardline approach to reality killed the very wonder that sparked the interest in the topic to begin with.

Personally, I love science, and I love data. I often cannot FIND data that I am looking for on plant behavior. It is either very expensive, or otherwise unattainable. There are several people doing very real research on this topic. Also, the information typically is under 'signaling' and not 'communication. Stefano Mancuso is one of the leaders in this field.

Personally, I will maintain my sense of wonder when I work with my plants. I have seen 2 companion plants - not of the same species but known for being mutually beneficial - literally reach out and hug one another, growing branches that were counter to light's position in order to make contact. I find as much knowledge in great Indian medicine men's observations as I do in the scientific data - IE Rolling Thunder talking about plants tribes. It can shift perception some, and that might not be a bad thing, because science needs that at times in order to break new ground.

www.ted.com...
edit on 8-6-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
Knowing, intuitively, IS worth something. Its a real fallacy, IMO, to say that only quantifiable information is of any value. If you support science, then why would you be discouraging to someone that is trying to use a bit of methodology to confirm his intuitive hunches? A lot of the best science was done doing just that.

My problem is with his interpretation. It's a very large leap to claim plant intelligence from finding some sort of signal.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I read some of the research articles pertaining to this. I guess our government funded research on this lie detector stuff for ten years but discontinued research because they couldn't get the plants to give us information that would help the military during war time.
here's one of many sites I researched, there are more technical ones out there summarizing the results. www.pureinsight.org...

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I loved to think some sort of bio-magnetism that they sense, every living thing produces this and there is also the normal magnetism from earthen minerals.

Maybe they sense things near them thru that, like a resonance from them and they wait for it be reflected.. kinda like echo location.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

The cannabinoid receptors are a class of cell membrane receptors under the G protein-coupled receptor superfamily.[1][2][3] As is typical of G protein-coupled receptors, the cannabinoid receptors contain seven transmembrane spanning domains.[4] Cannabinoid receptors are activated by three major groups of ligands, endocannabinoids (produced by the mammalian body), plant cannabinoids (such as THC, produced by the cannabis plant) and synthetic cannabinoids (such as HU-210). All of the endocannabinoids and plant cannabinoids are lipophilic, i.e. fat soluble, compounds.

There are currently two known subtypes, termed CB1 and CB2.[5][6] The CB1 receptor is expressed mainly in the brain (central nervous system, CNS), but also in the lungs, liver and kidneys. The CB2 receptor is expressed mainly in the immune system and in hematopoietic cells.[7] Mounting evidence suggests that there are novel cannabinoid receptors[8] that is, non-CB1 and non-CB2, which are expressed in endothelial cells and in the CNS. In 2007, the binding of several cannabinoids to a G protein-coupled receptor (GPCR) in the brain was described.[9]

The protein sequences of CB1 and CB2 receptors are about 44% similar.[10] When only the transmembrane regions of the receptors are considered, amino acid similarity between the two receptor subtypes is approximately 68%.[4] In addition, minor variations in each receptor have been identified. Cannabinoids bind reversibly and stereo-selectively to the cannabinoid receptors. The affinity of an individual cannabinoid to each receptor determines the effect of that cannabinoid. Cannabinoids that bind more selectively to certain receptors are more desirable for medical usage.
en.wikipedia.org...

how do plants know to produce chemicals that have receptors in the human brain?
edit on 8-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

the druids ( and many peoples ) knew this..thats why certain trees were scacred

Canplants read your mind?

www.mindpowernews.com...
edit on 8-6-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Plants create chemistry to try to get animals to eat them and spread their seeds. I'm sure that psychotropic plants have incorporated this into their design. Flowers do this through smells and colors. Mankind is a big influence on plant life survival in the world and is easily influenced by them. It seems strange that man is like this but the apes and monkeys are not. We share more traits with birds than apes.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
man like birds?
I do like to fly
lol
sometimes there are plants involved
sometimes the plants make airplanes
sometimes they don't

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by fockewulf190

@How Are Plants Aware of the World Around Them?

[color=gold]They are part of the CONSCIOUS of EA*RTH or GIA, and are tied into EA*RTH GIA energy. So basically what may be observed as the actions of individual plants is actually the activities of the ENTIRE EA*RTH hence the ability for FLORA fo readjust to whatever damages the flora EXPERIENCES in any part of EA*

Gaia ( /ˈɡeɪ.ə/ or /ˈɡaɪ.ə/; from Ancient Greek Γαῖα, a poetical form of Γῆ, "land" or "earth";[1] also Gaea, or Ge) was the goddess or personification of Earth in ancient Greek religion,[2] one of the Greek primordial deities. Gaia was the great mother of all: the heavenly gods, the Titans and the Giants were born from her union with Uranus (the sky), while the sea-gods were born from her union with Pontus (the sea).

Her equivalent in the Roman pantheon was Terra.

NAMASTE
LOVE LIGHT ETENRIA*******

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Maybe we are like chickens that can't fly but still desire to.
Those look like pinfeathers on my arms.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I believe in Gaia but like the name "Mother Earth" better. In the Ruins the earth's rejuvenation is portrayed by Odin's horse Sleipnir. I like Earth-ism, man's original religion of the earth. I believe we can also pray to god through the spirit of the earth. I suppose I'm part heathon

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Are any acts of self preservation or preservation of species NOT intelligence?

How would you define intelligence?

lol, that's about as hard to be fair about as explaining consciousness.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by fockewulf190

Plants have an aura.

An aura implys there is a soul of some type present.

Plants dont have eyes to express feelings nor can they talk. That however doesnt mean they dont feel.

Feeling equals awareness of surroundings. I suppose to a higher intelligence who communicate completely differently that humans, wonder how we have any awareness if we do. We obviously arent very smart. We kill each other.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join