It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheTardis

Anything that has religious undertones is not acceptable in this
secular society.The werewolf symbols were more acceptable and
embraced by this secular world we live in.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

No.. I am not saying to go around flipping people off.. I am just saying that they already have an opinion formed and they are already fighting for something and that this patch changes nothing. They dont care and the fact that we are so worried about where this one little thing will lead is silly. This is what has been instilled in us at this point. We are always worried about how something is going to be perceived because god forbid we hurt someones feelings. Especially if we hurt some terrorist feelings because that might be all he is looking for is for someone to ask him how his day was and give him a big hug. Maybe if the flight crew on airlines gave everyone a hug when they boarded the planes we wouldn't have hijackings any longer. We could all share hot cocoa too and sing songs.

Point being we are all being programed now to worry entirely too much about others feelings to the point that we don't even think about it now. We back down from things, we change what we are doing, we base our decisions around whether we will hurt some small group of peoples feelings or whether we will get a nasty letter from some activist group. Its getting out of hand is the whole point. These marines just chose a name. Funny thing is in Vietnam war we had a plane named the Crusader, no one cared about it then. There is a insurance company called Crusader, And their is a British tank and the list goes on.

Now here is the best part of this. The Marine Corps unit in question here is a Fixed Wing Fighter Attack Squadron. They are not ground troops and would surely not be mingling with the enemy. They are flying at however many thousand feet. Keep this in mind as well.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is one of the biggest things I can't stand about today's society.

You can't say something that offends someone.

Yet they can say anything they want to and not give a damned thing about how other people feel.

Horsepatties.

If you aren't going to care about me I won't care about you. I do not have to care about how you feel if you don't care about how I feel.

Why don't you try shutting your mouth if you don't want people criticizing you for once in your misbegotten life.

(By you I mean a general you and am not referring to anybody specific)
edit on 25-5-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
PC has gotten waaaay out of had lately. OP, I do agree that the thickness of societies skin has gotten way too thin.

There has been no problem with my old high school mascot though. I wonder why.

We had as our school mascot, "The Overweight Caucsian Christian".

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

The crusader thing is a bad example so I'll use: A white guy using an afro wig.

Now do I think afro wig is politically incorrect, no because without intent it seriously couldn't be viewed as a middle finger to anyone. Could others say they think its politically incorrect, yeah maybe, but something of this matter shouldn't be a concern to anyone because it's not a serious issue such as something you hold dear to you or it doesn't fit into religion, politics, and economics - which govern world peace.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

"Crusades" is a clear reference to the Christian vs Muslim war back then, which implies that it's a religious question. Definitely not helping, and contra-productive. Makes completely sense to get rid of this name

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

But the point is that it is also a reference to a war that is so old and had nothing to do with the United states which wasnt even thought of at the time so it is totally out of context and anyone that assumes it is their way of "Sticking it to the man" is just being silly and looking for something that isnt there. Which again is totally what this topic is about. That would be like me getting offended by someone wearing a civil war uniform from the north and I live in the south. Has nothing to do with me. Should it bother me? Should I ask them to change into a different shirt? It has nothing to do with the situation at hand. Nothing at all. Would it change anything if these Marines were non Christian? Do we know for sure they are christians? Again. This is absolutely the point of this topic. Why does it bother people so much? Did we receive a complaint from the people they were flying over? Or did some group here decide that it "might" be offensive to that one guy that could see the tail insignia from the ground with his binoculars?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Politicial correctness legalized Segregation and it is the blight on this country instead of promoting the similarities Americans have they seek to divide them even further,.

If people have a problem with just being called an American that is rather sad but nope gotta have those hypenated names even tho that country was so crappy they or the ancestors moved here.

Most people who go around using that little hypen never have gone back "home" and most have no clue what it means.

Can't stand political correctness myself.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheTardis
reply to post by MrXYZ

But the point is that it is also a reference to a war that is so old and had nothing to do with the United states which wasnt even thought of at the time so it is totally out of context and anyone that assumes it is their way of "Sticking it to the man" is just being silly and looking for something that isnt there. Which again is totally what this topic is about. That would be like me getting offended by someone wearing a civil war uniform from the north and I live in the south. Has nothing to do with me. Should it bother me? Should I ask them to change into a different shirt? It has nothing to do with the situation at hand. Nothing at all. Would it change anything if these Marines were non Christian? Do we know for sure they are christians? Again. This is absolutely the point of this topic. Why does it bother people so much? Did we receive a complaint from the people they were flying over? Or did some group here decide that it "might" be offensive to that one guy that could see the tail insignia from the ground with his binoculars?

It's completely irrelevant if it offends you or not. It offends people over there though as it implies this is a religiously motivated affair, and that's all that matters. It's contra-productive and therefore a moronic name.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Politicial correctness legalized Segregation and it is the blight on this country instead of promoting the similarities Americans have they seek to divide them even further,.

If people have a problem with just being called an American that is rather sad but nope gotta have those hypenated names even tho that country was so crappy they or the ancestors moved here.

Most people who go around using that little hypen never have gone back "home" and most have no clue what it means.

Can't stand political correctness myself.

Haha.. That is what I have been saying for years. If you are so proud that you have to stick Mexican Flags all over your car or hanging on your mirror or antenna or if you have to wear your Africa shirts or wear those Africa things around your necks then by all means if it was that great then please go back there. We can take up a collection to get you a one way ticket. The Spanish community here is bad about this. They have Mexican flags, Puerto Rican and Dominican flags so they all know who to talk to. There use to be a time when if a large number of foreigners carrying flags crossed your border it was an act of war. Now we are just afraid we might make them feel uncomfortable or offend them. Its sad, where this country is going.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

reply to post by MrXYZ

It's completely irrelevant if it offends you or not. It offends people over there though as it implies this is a religiously motivated affair, and that's all that matters. It's contra-productive and therefore a moronic name.

Ok.. Then show me where they complained? They already think it is a holy war. To them it "IS" religious. What other reason do you think they hate us? We are not Muslim. That is all the reason they need. They do not care if we wear religious things. Should we be ashamed of being Christians? Or do you think by hiding it we make them feel more comfortable?

The point here is that someone here decided it might be offensive. Not someone there saying that is offended them. We are at war with these people. Who cares if we offend them. Its war.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Maybe this is not a PC issue, I can see how this name could potentialy interfere with the military objective of winning the hearts and minds of local population. So is it really PC, or "mission first, fancy squandron names second"?

EDIT: and I despise political correctness, but it is arguable whether this is PC or not
edit on 25/5/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
Maybe this is not a PC issue, I can see how this name could potentialy interfere with the military objective of winning the hearts and minds of local population. So is it really PC, or "mission first, fancy squandron names second"?

EDIT: and I despise political correctness, but it is arguable whether this is PC or not

Omg I actually agree with Maslo, the world had gone mad!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

reply to post by MrXYZ

Ok.. Then show me where they complained? They already think it is a holy war. To them it "IS" religious. What other reason do you think they hate us? We are not Muslim. That is all the reason they need. They do not care if we wear religious things. Should we be ashamed of being Christians? Or do you think by hiding it we make them feel more comfortable?

The point here is that someone here decided it might be offensive. Not someone there saying that is offended them. We are at war with these people. Who cares if we offend them. Its war.

It doesn't only offend the terrorists we're at war with, but also the general population. Last I checked we aren't at war with them. In fact, the terrorists are a tiny minority.

And offending the general population is clearly contra-productive. Also, the way you phrased it makes me wonder if you believe this to be a Christian vs all Muslim war...I hope not, because that would be a moronic opinion.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I do agree with this as well.. Like I said.. Probably not the best example I could have found, it just happens to be what I saw this morning that got me off on this tangent.. But I still would like to know if this was motivated by the fear of upsetting the enemy or upsetting those that we are protecting. But yes I can see how it could be counter productive. But I think it is so minimal and not something in the recent past.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I do agree with this as well.. Like I said.. Probably not the best example I could have found, it just happens to be what I saw this morning that got me off on this tangent.. But I still would like to know if this was motivated by the fear of upsetting the enemy or upsetting those that we are protecting. But yes I can see how it could be counter productive. But I think it is so minimal and not something in the recent past.

Did you see what happened when that moronic pastor burned a Koran? It most definitely not of "minimal effect" to offend people we aren't even fighting.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

And offending the general population is clearly contra-productive. Also, the way you phrased it makes me wonder if you believe this to be a Christian vs all Muslim war...I hope not, because that would be a moronic opinion.

No.. I do not believe that "we" are at war due to religion. But the Koran teaches that all who do believe should be killed which is why there always seems to be some one fighting over there. So in one respect it is and always will be a holy war. But no, I do not think we are there to spread the word of God or anything.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Did you see what happened when that moronic pastor burned a Koran? It most definitely not of "minimal effect" to offend people we aren't even fighting.

Now.. Hold up a second on that. Dont believe the MSM on everything. The Koran was burned based on their customs and their directives of how to dispose of a Koran that has been desecrated. Our media blew that up and they used that against us. If a Koran is desecrated it is to be burned and it is a sin for them to do so. The Korans in question had been written in by them which again is a sin. They were using them to pass messages and we burned them just as the book directed. Dont confuse the situation.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

No.. I do not believe that "we" are at war due to religion. But the Koran teaches that all who do believe should be killed which is why there always seems to be some one fighting over there. So in one respect it is and always will be a holy war. But no, I do not think we are there to spread the word of God or anything.

Yes, and the bible says you can't mix linen and wool...or eat shrimp. Yet millions of Christians do so every day. Most Muslims aren't fundamentalist extremists, just like most aren't.

That stupid name is equal to a Muslim wearing a "Bin Laden is my hero" t-shirt in the US...a really stupid idea.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Yes, and the bible says you can't mix linen and wool...or eat shrimp. Yet millions of Christians do so every day. Most Muslims aren't fundamentalist extremists, just like most aren't.

That stupid name is equal to a Muslim wearing a "Bin Laden is my hero" t-shirt in the US...a really stupid idea.

Thats great.. So what your saying is that most wouldn't take offense to a small Marine fighter squadron using a 600 year old name on the tail of some planes because they are not extremists and would understand. Right? Thank you for helping prove my point.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join