It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Is there any group that has thick skin any longer? Does anyone else get tired of all of these groups going after schools because of their mascots or as in this case now a Marine Corps squadron because of its logo and name? This is getting pretty old and I think it is about time people just take things for what they are rather than deciding to make it their personal mission to change something that has nothing to do with anything. Do they think this Marine Squadron was going to start a new "Crusade"?

A Marine fighter squadron challenged on its use of the "Crusaders" name and cross-and-shield symbolism as its insignia has been ordered to reverse the decision, and to return to identifying itself as "Werewolves," the Marine Corps said on Thursday.Text

SOURCE

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Reply to post by TheTardis

I can most certainly agree with your view about political correctness being extremely ridiculous 99% of the time, and that in the end it is only doing more harm than good, but I don't think this case is about being PC the way we usually think of it.
-I think this instance is about common sense. Considering where we are concentrating our military efforts at the moment, I would think it best if our enemies didn't think we too were fighting a 'Holy War'.
What seems an innocent gesture to us is anything but to radicals who still refer to the Crusades on a daily basis as an example of how infidels defy God's plan.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
being PC is a Fing JOKE, if you cant take it im sorry. (not talking about the op) call me what you will, call yourself what you will, call your team, squad, or naughty bits what you will.

People today are way over sensitive, your team sucked here is a trophy every one gets one, Thanks for coming out.

My people were subjugated 200 years ago i want money from my great great great grandparents suppressors.

your mascot offends my people you must change it despite having used it for 30 plus years...without a problem but now its not ok....

now onto the use of the name crusaders and the emblem they chose, what is the big deal? oh i get it were fighting a war in the middle east and it might seem l insensitive. BOOO FREAKING HOOO

Its a war, people are getting killed daily if you really think the name of the squad that is over there doing it is the problem. You might need to pull your head out of your back side. The problem isn't the name, code, creed or race of the fighters its that its war plain and simple. Some people get off on hurting other people, Some people do not follow the ROE. Some people do not have an ROE, other than kill any one who isn't apart of our philosophy.

Being pc is a joke the only people that complain are the people that are to freaking stupid to see the real problems in this world.

you can politely call me a cracker, honky, snow man, red man, mic, or whatever you would like it doesn't bother me and it shouldn't bother you.

exception to the rule per say. The "N" word when talking about a person of African American race is generally not cool but if others are not allowed to say it then maybe it should not be said at all regardless of the ending sound (er vs a) just my opinion. If you want the word to go away it would most likely be best to stop throwing it around so much, as it it is now days most kids hear it for the first time from rappers, on tv or in movies mostly ending with the A sound but not always.

Just my .02 and if you don't like it well you can kiss my non PC regions

thank you and good day/night depending on your location in this universe.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by crimsongod21

I agree 100%. Thats what I am talking about. Everything is becoming PC and non PC now instead of people just being accountable for their own actions. And it all starts at the youngest of ages now with the coddling. I went to my daughters soccer games 10 years or so ago when she first started playing and someone said "Oh they dont keep score".. I was like "WHAT"?? She said they dont keep score and everyone gets a trophy at the end of the season. Really? Is this what we are teaching kids now. That no matter what you do or how bad you do it that you can still win? What happened to people learning what defeat feels like? Or learning that you have to practice and try hard. This is what is wrong with our country and society today. We care too much about someone else getting their feelings hurt and people that really dont even care much about a cause take up said cause so they can maybe spare the feelings of someone else who may or may not even care. But we have to all feel warm and fuzzy inside. People need to learn what losing feels like and learn from their mistakes or they will constantly be weak. We are raising new generations of people who expect hand outs, who expect to always win without trying and who expect someone else to take up their cause.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I've said it before, and I'll say it again....

The saying "sticks and stones." needs to be brought back, and lived!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
you're looking at it too narrowmindedly. This isn't about offending ppl as much as it is escalating war. When you're dealing with ppl who do not think like you and I do, you have to choose your words and actions carefully. That's just being responsible. This country doesn't need any more soldiers coming home in a wooden suit because someone thought the opposition should just "walk it off", and grow thicker skin. This isn't the same thing as changing the mascot from a cougar to a bobcat because it offends older women. C'mon. Think about it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Yeah. This is PR rather than PC.

When the enemy rallies troops behind the notion that you are waging some religious war against everything they hold sacred the last thing you want to do is fuel that.

Unless of course you have some terrorizing scorched earth policy and are willing to go full-out brutal devastation on your foe. But that's obviously not the tactic being used.

PR not PC.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

Or also the "im rubber your glue what bounces off of me sticks to you"

Now don't get me wrong words can be "hurtful" i understand this i do. But when you let other people negatively effect your life over a word or phrase, i mean come on grow a thicker skin learn that the world isn't all peach trees and roses. I was taught from an early age that you can and will lose, I remember playing soccer as a child and trying to keep score despite the official s not doing so. My team sucked no if ands or buts, and when the end of the season arrived and i received a meddle i was very confused. It looked the same as all the other kids, even the kids who hadn't lost a game all season, it made no sense to me. Even at that young age i new there was a winner and a loser to everything and no amount of sugar coating could change that.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

No.. I get it but the point is that I bet most anyone over there could care less about the patch on these guys arms. They either like us or they dont. They dont like us and then change their mind because of a patch in which they probably dont know the meaning of in the first place. Its just a patch and a name and I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the people over there dont believe that the marines are there fighting a holy war and carrying bibles.

And I posted the article as just one example, maybe not the best example but just one example of the rampant political correctness we have now that is being pushed to the point of ridiculousness. We are so concerned about other peoples feelings now and where has it gotten us? Is there less crime? Is there less racism? Are we a stronger nation? Are our children tougher or smarter? If anything I say we are weakening our society and our position on the world stage by looking like sissies all the time. What other country goes out of its way to coddle others?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I've got it they should change there name to the Pansies!!!!!! its not offensive its actually cute and cuddly!!!! how could any one fight against the Pansies!!!!!!!!

If you think that the people are soldiers are fighting over there give one lump of human bodily waste what a single squad is called you are delusional.

The squads name and logo would be placed on a patch see an example here that would be worn i believe on the upper arm area of there uniform. Now imagine your in a fire fight who is going to go... OMA look they are the crusaders look at that logo OMA they are fighting a holly war now too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to say not too many and the ones that do in that situation they most likely wont live long as they are too busy gawking and not trying to fight and or survive.

Now you could counter claim that they might see it on a wounded soldier left behind and that is a possibility but if they have already killed this "crusader" i don't think its going to bother them too much.

just my .02

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Here is another example. This is a local High School in my area. They have been the "Redskins" for as long as I can remember. This to me is a complete Joke because in my opinion and yes its just my opinion and I have enough American Indian in my background to speak on this subject. I think most kids associate the "Redskins" name with the Washingtion Redskins and not a slang term for American Indians. I know they try to say that it is the same as the "N" word but seriously? When is the last time you heard a rapper throwing "Redskins" around in a slang way? Its just something else for people to complain about.

"Your sports team name 'Redskins,' logos and symbols not only create a racially hostile environment but also are intimidating to Native American students and families," Linda Bolin told the board. "By promoting the continued use of Redskins as your sports team name, logo and symbolisms, you are teaching your students that stereotyping a minority group is acceptable."

SOURCE

Luckily the school stood up and didnt cave on this so they got to keep their logo and their name and all is well and its funny.. No one around here seems to care and we are right in the heart of indian country.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheTardis

I have to agree with spinalremain on this one.

And for me personally, I don't want to see another war being falsely declared as having been waged "in the name of god".

It's like feeding the trolls whom are against the religious - don't feed the trolls.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

On a similar note a town in Mo wanted the University of Kansas to change there mascot as it was "hurtful" to them. No i am being 100% honest here is a link to the news story. click me

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

And for me personally, I don't want to see another war being falsely declared as having been waged "in the name of god".

It's like feeding the trolls whom are against the religious - don't feed the trolls.

Ok. I get it.. Bad example.. However I still dont think anyone thinks we are fighting a holy war and one unit does not make the military as a whole.. This is one unit with one patch that is being referenced. The "Jihad" are fighting "Infidels" not god and we are all in that category. Jihad actually means Holy War if I am not mistaken. They hate anyone that does not believe in their god. They dont care what god you believe in and I promise you that they are fighting a holy war whether we are or not. So it really changes nothing. To them we are all non believers and we should all be wiped from the planet. That is why they are so hard to stop. They have a singular purpose and cannot be reasoned with. Their bible says we have to be killed. That how it works.

So changing the patches on some uniforms is for us, not them.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Political correctness is a bain on our society.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

that's not going to change for a long time, so don't hold your breath. i do agree with you though, even if the islamic mantra is "change your religous beliefs to islam or die"

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Well I don't know much of their religion so I can't speak on that. For all I know it could be a holy war and we're just Israels puppets being used to weaken muslims.

What I do know is that if we start dressing all of our troops in symbols that represent holy wars then countries with nukes will start to seriously question our motives.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
anyways, the Crusades were in response to MULSIM aggression and invasion- the way some in the media (and some Muslims) portray it, the Crusades were some sort of attack on innocent peace loving Muslims.

This is all centuries old like and shouldnt matter a jot

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

But that right there is exactly what this thread is about. Your afraid that this one thing will lead to some other big thing when in all actuality it is just one unit with one patch and the odds of it starting a trend or of the enemy giving to craps is slim to none.

Look into the Koran and the teachings of Allah a little. As the previous poster stated. They believe that anyone who does not believe as they do needs to die and it is their duty to kill them all and if they die in the name of Allah they will go to their heaven get something like 16 virgins all to themselves. Its pretty messed up. That is why I don't think this one patch changes anything as far as they are concerned. To them everything they do is a holy war. That is why they are so hard to stop. It would be like our Bible telling us to kill anyone that is a non believer and that we would be rewarded for dieing for the cause. This one Marine Unit isnt the problem.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

The way I read what you're sayings is that because we can flip everyone off and get a way with it then its okay. I don't think like that. I try to respect others - especially so if they're not doing anything to me.

Umm yeah nukes are scary and while I think you're right that one unit with patches probably wont be noticed its still bad policy...

Why do keep wanting to bring up their belief system. Are you trying to make this about a holy war?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join