It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wealthy Non Profits Contribute To US Economic Woes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
There are multiple non profit medical institutions that are monopolies worth billions of dollars. One for example buys up every hospital and medical centear that they can get their hands on. And pushes other hospitals out of business. Most recently, they built a new hospital near another one to push them out of business. Ceo's making millions of dollars, corporate jets, and property ownership that surpasses that of our richest americans. But they don't have to pay taxes. It is so bad that folks that don't live in that non profits main city have to pay an occupational tax of $50 a year to work there. To pay for the city services that the non profit is not. All while the non profit with their monoplies, under pay and over work the very workers that have to pay taxes to work there.

So why should non profit CEOS's and assisitant CEO's be making millions of dollars? With many other execs making huge amounts of money. And why should a non profit that owns likely hundreds of buildings by now, not have to pay taxes? I think if a company makes billions of dollars, and uses services, they should have to pay for them. Services include fire companies, roads, snow removal, garbage removal, police protection etc...

This is a perfect example of a rich corporation hiding behind a non profit status to line their coffers even more. Non profit or not, they use the services provided and someone has to pay for them. Here is a fine example of a company that pays no taxes. Notice the nearly 4 billion in their reserve portfolio?

UPMC third quarter report

UPMC is a $10 billion global health enterprise with more than 55,000 employees headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pa., and is transforming health care by integrating more than 20 hospitals, 400 doctors’ offices and outpatient sites, a health insurance services division, and international and commercial services.

■UPMC’s operating revenue grew by $746 million to $7.2 billion, with an operating income of $290 million.
■UPMC’s operating EBIDA – or cash flow income – was $584 million.
■UPMC’s $3.7 billion diversified investment reserve portfolio provides for long-term sustainability.

edit on 25-5-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I agree that today the "non-profit" business model is being abused by corporate America. These large healthcare non-profits are a joke and the tax laws need to be re-written. I also would include "Goodwill" which has become the largest second hand goods chain store in the USA. The truth is that today all corporations are manged for tax liability.

I would be if you cut out the tax loop hole for profit and non-profit companies that they would operate more efficently and would better serve their shareholders and customers.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
YOU TOO can do this same thing!!!
Get ordained from some online church, become a church, write off all of your expenses, tax free non profit Etc.
I wonder which business just found themselves threatened enough to drag this out into the light??
Tax free monopolies, it's like the black superherpes, or the superdevil.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
NoN-Profit =

makes my senses tingle.
wife worked for 1 for awhile.
made her all kinds of promises.
when came time to deliver on them
they had all kinds of excuses why they couldn't

don't trust any of them

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

While I do not agree that "all" non-profits should lose their tax exempt status, I do believe that the fraudulent use of the "non-profit" status for just that purpose has become epidemic here in America and it's robbing our government of much needed income.

After watching a recent segment of Bill Maher's "New Rules" in which he addressed this issue, (with his added bias against Mitt Romney & the Mormon Church) I started a thread dealing with the same subject matter but from a slightly different perspective.

It can be found here; www.abovetopsecret.com...

Personally, I don't think that Mitt Romney is any better or worse than anyone else for donating to his church and/or favorite charity and then receiving a tax break for those donations. At least not from a legal standpoint. The real problem lies with the system or our tax code that has been corrupted to allow for such behavior and IMO, it's time to re-evaluate and distinguish just what constitutes a "true" charity from those created to evade taxes and eliminate the later.

P.S. I noticed that you started to join the conversation in my thread, but apparently chose to delete your post. Love to have you join in. F&S for your OP, I believe the subject matter needs to be discussed and reviewed.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Their total income increased by what 1000% or something like that and their on tap cash is 300 million nearly and they are non-profit..... I think not!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Yeah!!! SHUT EM ALL DOWN! Fire all of their employees! That'll help the economy. You can start with the United Way, the Red Cross, MADD, the YMCA, The Center for American Progress to name a few. I'd love to see Jesse Jackson have to get a real job.

While you are at it, how about getting rid of the idea that the Government is entitled to this money.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
They are building not only a monopoly but an empire! In the article I mentioned, they state that they support over 2,000 high paying construction related jobs. So I imagine some could argue that they create jobs. But um they grew this big by freeloading off the american taxpayers. Let me operate a business tax free, and I would have some spare change to build and hire more people.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
You can change your business to non-profit and the business will thrive because people think non-profit is more worthy of their support. In essence all the money of a non profit organization can be paid out in over paid employee salaries to the owners of the business. All non profit means is that the corporation never makes profit. You just become an employee of your corporation. It can be a scam and it's hard to tell which ones are good or bad because of regulations added to our laws governing them. Seems that it is legal to scam someone out of their money but illegal to outright steal in a lot of cases. I'm sure that most people are aware of that.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Good or bad, if they have that much capital, they can pay for their own services. If they are "out for the good of mankind", then perhaps they should pay their share so people on limited budgets don't have to pick up the slack.

If they are out for the good of mankind, then they shouldn't be working on creating a monopoly. Having a choice creates lower healthcare prices and better services. This company is known to treat patient care in a fast assembly line process.

They look for ways to save money on a regular basis on the backs of ther employees or patients who will never even get a glimpse of their corporate jets.

22 UPMC Executives, Physicians Earn More Than $1M

Twenty-two executives and physicians at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center made more than $1 million in 2010, and UPMC President and CEO Jeffrey Romoff topped the list with $5.97 million in total compensation, according to a Pittsburgh Business Times report.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I don't believe corporations should be taxed at all. I believe that investors and employees/management of corporations should be taxed for every cent or benefit that they receive. Those company cars they get should be taxed unless used exclusively for work. Those luncheons should be taxed also. No dinners to wine and dine people should be allowed to be deducted, it's just a tax deductible perk of the jobs of the high class.

I can't see corporations owning big jets, it's unfair to the investors to pay for these things. These "perks" cause the stockholders to make less on their investment. It has become a big scam over the years and the corporations should be pulling in sizable dividends for investors. People don't realize the big con game going on in these big corporations.

new topics

top topics

join