It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7-year-old's suicide shocks Detroit community

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Autumnal

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus
The child was 7 which means he was likely in first grade.

Was he slow?
7 is second grade round here. Kindergarten 5, first 6, etc...
Did I miss something about why this kid would have been held back a year?

My son just finished 1st grade and he is 7 years old. The cut off date is that they must be 5 by October 1st to enter kindergarten. My son turned 7 in March so he was 7 years old while in 1st grade for the last few months. It is entirely possibly that this kid was much like my own age wise. There were plenty of kids who turned 7 years old towards the end of the school year in 1st grade. My son will be 7 through most of 2nd grade and then 8 for the last couple of months of 2nd grade. Not unheard of.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa
There were plenty of kids who turned 7 years old towards the end of the school year in 1st grade. My son will be 7 through most of 2nd grade and then 8 for the last couple of months of 2nd grade. Not unheard of.

Be aware of what you are sending your child into on a daily basis, MaMaa. If he remains a civilian, there is a good chance that he will look back on his childhood as potentially the most psychologically destructive, and gruelling period of his life.

Many schoolchildren have to fight not only to preserve their sanity, but sometimes to protect themselves physically, on close to a momentary basis. The main reason why it is so hard, is also because at that age, you have virtually no prior experience, and no frame of reference. You haven't read Machiavelli or Miamoto Musashi at primary or high school. You don't have the coping skills that you will learn as an adult. Often, the only thing you can do is run and hide, and pray that somehow, they won't find you.

If you love your child, MaMaa, do anything you can to make it easier. Realise that the hours he has after school and in the evening, are the only reprieve he gets, before having to step back into the breach next morning.

Other than basic literacy and numeracy, school is not about education. It is for the purpose of penal reform. The purpose of it is to break children. I was made to sleep alone at a primary school camp by a teacher who openly admitted that he felt I needed to be broken. The goal is to inflict psychological injury that a person will never recover from, even into adulthood; so that way they will keep their head down, and won't attempt to defy or resist the psychopaths who run this planet.

You can help minimise the risk of them succeeding in doing that to your son.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Thank you for the unwarranted parental advice, I think. I am well aware of how things are in school, this isn't my first pony ride! I have four kids and am very aware of everything that goes on in the schools. I volunteer not only in the elementary school, but the middle school and high school. I know all of my kids teachers very well, hell a few of them are now very good friends of mine whom I see outside of a school setting. My kids are also very open about everything that goes on at school. Being a stay at home mom, I have a lot of time to devote to these things. We sit and talk about all things school after school on a daily basis. Yes we have encountered bullies, yes my boys have had to knock a few on their rear ends. I have home schooled as well last year not because of social issues, but because I felt I needed to fill in some gaps that the school missed with math and science. I appreciate the concern, but I am not an ignorant new mom by any stretch of the imagination. I have four kids that vary from older teenager to a 7 year old, all boys I might add. Me and my husband are highly involved in their school and social lives (varies per age of course), but I am well aware of how these things work.

They are not stepping into a hell hole and only get a few hours reprieve at home. My kids enjoy school, have plenty of friends and of course are not without some issues here and there that we deal with immediately. We have taught our boys how to stand up for themselves, how to stand up for others and not to just take someones crap.. even if it is a teacher. We teach them to question everything, even us as parents. My 13 year old son once got sent to the office with two other kids because he stepped in and stopped a fight. He explained that this kid was being a jerk (read that a bully) and shoving the other kid around while teasing him about something. My son didn't hesitate to jump in and knock the kid on his rear and put a stop to it. The teacher who witnessed it all confirmed exactly what all three boys said. They are all friends now oddly enough. My point is that I have kids who are probably more equipped to deal with some of these things than others because my husband and I have taught them. Ignorance breeds ignorance and it is my job as a parent to educate and create good upstanding adults. Or as I joke.. "I will create marriable material!" LOL

As for the school and the teachers, they are great. I live in a small little Colorado town in the foothills where teachers and parents communicate with some regularity. I talked to my 1st graders (well now 2nd after summer is over) teacher every day when I walk over to pick my son up from the school. In all of the years my boys have been going to school in the local public schools we have only come across ONE bad teacher. She wasn't even bad as in mean or allowed bad things to happen, she was just lazy and not a very good instructor. Not very personable either, but certainly not a bad person who just let bad things happen with her students. All of my four boys had one teacher in particular for either 1st grade or kindergarten and to this day my older boys will still go back and help her out in her kindergarten class. My second son (13 yr) recently took the last day of school off and spent it helping this teacher with the kindergarten field day! My third son used to go down to the kindergarten room during free hour to read to the kids and work with what they call book bags. My oldest son in high school sometimes will help this very same teacher with math activities with her students. This is a good school and the teachers do care! They have made huge impacts on my kids lives in a positive way, so not all school settings are hell for kids.
edit on 27-5-2012 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CelestialSon

Yes, but this child was also teased and bullied by his own mother and 7 sisters at home. That's different. They lacked human emotions. Maybe they are all psychopaths and can't help it. Perhaps the whole family can apply for disability now.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

Originally posted by StopFearMongering
The problem is bullying is never going to stop. It's just human nature.

Rape is also part of human nature. That doesn't mean we should be saying "Well, it's never going to stop because it's just who we are."

We should be trying to find a way to stop it.

Rape is a form of bullying - usually by the parent who is raping the child. All this crap about everything being "human nature" is a bunch of brainwashing propaganda. It gives people permission and encourages them to 'give in' to whatever mode of behavior is being pushed by TPTB via media, movies, religion and education.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join