It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defrocked sex abuser priest now works at Philly TSA!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I'm telling you; I'm more afraid of the screeners in the airports than I ever was of terrorists. Especially after hearing stories like this:

I-Team: Priest Removed From Ministry Due To Sex Abuse Allegations Now Works At PHL

The CBS 3 I-Team has learned that a Catholic priest who was removed from the ministry over sex abuse allegations now holds a sensitive security post at Philadelphia International Airport.

The security checkpoint between Terminals D and E is a busy place where thousands of people – including lots of kids – pass through every day. But you might not believe who the I-Team observed working as a TSA supervisor at that checkpoint this week: Thomas Harkins.

Until 2002, Harkins was a Catholic priest working at churches across South Jersey. But the Diocese of Camden removed him from ministry because it found he sexually abused two young girls. Now, in a new lawsuit, a third woman is claiming she also is one of Harkins’ victims.

CBS 3

They say he is in charge of the baggage area but who's to say he doesn't fill in for other areas when there are manpower shortages?

Apparently, the statute of limitations expired before the abuse came to light and that is how he got past the criminal background screeners. You still gotta wonder how the TSA can justify keeping this man on, as a supervisor even, after what was revealed about him?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Unfortunately, if the man was never prosecuted for his crimes while in the church, he would not be flagged in a background check and now ends up back into another system that leaves the door open to more of the same type of behavior.

Not good...Our system is broken and there should be no limit on crimes against children.
edit on 25-5-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I doubt the TSA will do anything about this.

This is the same airport where earlier this week a flare was shot at an airplane coming in for landing. The FBI classified shooting a flare at a plane as a NON-ISSUE!.

They don't have any interest in protecting the public, only conditioning us for control.

CX

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
If he is ever charged and found guilty of this abuse, surely there is some law about not being aloud within a certain distance of where kids are?

Unfortunately we'll have to wait till that happens.

Lets hope he doesn't get his hands caught in any baggage machinery in the meantime eh?

CX.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Can't complain about the TSA's screening process.
They don't have one.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

You still gotta wonder how the TSA can justify keeping this man on, as a supervisor even, after what was revealed about him?

Because he fits the profile of a good TSA employee perfectly. And with his background? Definitely supervisor material.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Why are you surprised, this is the perfect dream job for any sexual molester out there! There's kids to molest, little old ladies to strip search and weomen to frisk. All the perks of being a molester and it's perfectly legal!
* End of sarcasm...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
There is no bigger church in the United States than the Church of Federalism, so it only makes sense that any red-blooded sex crazed priest would rightly join that church. I fear for the baggage. Can you imagine how he gropes and fondles that baggage in lieu of groping and fondling humans?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I have to say the bright side of this story is that he was actually defrocked..

The down side is that he was allowed a position such as this. If he has no contact at all with children, I can understand to a degree, but no way should he be allowed to pat down children.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

Yeah, he'll only have access to their luggage.

Oh look; a Hello Kitty suitcase (starts drooling)!

Nothing could go wrong in that scenario.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Yeah, he'll only have access to their luggage.

Oh look; a Hello Kitty suitcase (starts drooling)!

Nothing could go wrong in that scenario.

Then every scenery in life is a potential catalyst. He could be on the subway and see a hello kitty purse.

I'm not saying its ok for him to have the job, but your argument makes no sense, because he could be drooling anywhere at any given time.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Its not about his ability to drool anytime, its about his ability to rummage through anyone's luggage as it passes through the baggage areas.

Imagine what he could be doing with some little girl's unmentionables while back there. Imagine also if he decided to leave a little bit of himself behind.

This guy has the authority to search through bags and, being the supervisor, probably doesn't have much oversight over what bags he decides to rummage through. Also, him being a supervisor probably gives him all kinds of access to other parts of the operation as well, such as the screening room where they look at all the backscatter images. Letting guys like him into there is just one more reason to opt out.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I was wondering when that TSA - Catholic Church exchange program would begin.

I hope this means a new show for catchy-voiced Chris Hansen.

"I'm Chris Hansen with Dateline NBC, and this is "To Catch An Exchange Predator", where we dive into the dark underworld of the TSA's Catholic Church exchange program. Spearheaded by DHS, purloined in the Vatican, powerful figures upend fundamental American values..."

new topics

top topics

join