It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we bless our food?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
So I was sitting at the breakfast table, with three of my friends, aware that they are all christians, well sort of... I mean religiously...not really spiritually, so they start eating and I say... "... (and I was only talking to one of my friends, for some reason) you should pray before you eat...you know...just ...respect to God" in the most polite way I said it...and she said "Well I know God and God knows I respect him so ...yeah" and she started eating and I didn't say anything i just started eating and then I thought...why do we pray for our food? I know that I know, but I don't know where in the bible it says, does anyone know where in the bible it says we should bless our food?

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
this is so sad! can't anyone give me a chapter lol
come on where are my Jesus Freaks up in this bunch! haha I gotta ask my pastor or something.... I looked in the index...got nothing!

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
At my school they do it to just thank their god for the "bounty" at their table.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
At my school they do it to just thank their god for the "bounty" at their table.

you know, everytime I see you I see your signature, that little pic and I keep wondering how people are getting those things >.< I want to get my own pic ^.^ ...any help? sorry just going off topic for a second

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I dont have an image in my signature...do you mean my avatar?

If so this Tutorial will tell you everythign you need to know.

posted on Oct, 1 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   

1 Timothy 4:3-5
Forbidding to marry, [and commanding] to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature of God [is] good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Romans 14:6
He that regardeth the day, regardeth [it] unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard [it]. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

1 Thess 5:18
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Mat 15:36
And he took the seven loaves and the fishes, and gave thanks, and brake [them], and gave to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.

Act 27:35
And when he had thus spoken, he took bread, and gave thanks to God in presence of them all: and when he had broken [it], he began to eat.

[Edited on 1-10-2004 by Raphael_UO]

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
In other words, we pray and give thanks to God for the blessing of wonderful food He gave us. It is trully a blessing to eat everyday while some (most of the world) does not.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Because your mother and father worked damn hard to put food on that table; or, in Bushes case, bankrupted the treasury even harder to ensure 45 million American went without food even longer....

Deep

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Isnt it summat to do with the last supper?

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
regnassem,

re: " does anyone know where in the bible it says we should bless our food?"

Maybe in the same place that it says to observe the first day of the week as a special day for rest and worship.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by regnassem
but I don't know where in the bible it says, does anyone know where in the bible it says we should bless our food?

that's because it isn't in there just like many,many,many other traditions of men even though this is way down on the "matter much" list.Just because Yahoshua did it a few times doesn't mean you "have" to or your food won't be blessed whatever the hell that means.My suggestion is to use common sense.Much can be known just from that.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by rstrats

regnassem,

......."

Maybe in the same place that it says to observe the first day of the week as a special day for rest and worship.

or observe a birthday that isn't even a birthhdate.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Common sense wise as a Christian you should have a desire to thank Jesus Christ for what you do have, for all things were made through him and for him and because of him we can have these things. Giving thanks to the Lord is about remembrance, of remembering the One who gave it all, even to the point of death on a roman cross to ransom our damned souls and resurrect our dead spirits by giving us the Breath of Life. The simplest point can be made in the scripture I will post below.

Luke 17:11-19

11 Now it happened as He went to Jerusalem that He passed through the midst of Samaria and Galilee. 12 Then as He entered a certain village, there met Him ten men who were lepers, who stood afar off. 13 And they lifted up their voices and said, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!”

14 So when He saw them, He said to them, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And so it was that as they went, they were cleansed.

15 And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, returned, and with a loud voice glorified God, 16 and fell down on his face at His feet, giving Him thanks. And he was a Samaritan.

17 So Jesus answered and said, “Were there not ten cleansed? But where are the nine? 18 Were there not any found who returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?” 19 And He said to him, “Arise, go your way. Your faith has made you well.”

Out of the 10 lepers he healed,1 was a Samaritan and the other 9 were jews, but it was the foreigner who returned to give thanks.

The moral of that story is, that often we take advantage of the Lord and do not give him his due glory, this is why it's important for christians to be humble in spirit, so that we remember the hand that feeds us and where our blessings come from.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by regnassem

"Why do we bless our food?"

This is the reason why: Link

There was also a study done that showed that people who were prayed for had a better chance of getting better. To make sure it wasn't just the "placebo effect" they did a double-blind study.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I used to pray before I ate when I visited my sister.
You would too if you tried her cooking.

top topics

join