It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternatives to the Penalty Shoot Out.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Yeah it was a great match to watch!
its 50/50 with pen's but as some guys have said play extra time until someone scores,
only problem with that is do you think Chelsea would have won if there was no penalties!?

I doubt it....

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Because it is older, classier, and just plain real different than the NFL.

No doubt nerve-wracking and seemingly unfair at times, the penalty shoot outs are what make real football (soccer state-side) football!

I am more an advocate of measures regarding reformation of goal size, time limitations, etc. than I am of alternatives to the penalty kicks...

It differentiates true football from other sports, IMO...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chop_UK

Yeah it was a great match to watch!
its 50/50 with pen's but as some guys have said play extra time until someone scores,
only problem with that is do you think Chelsea would have won if there was no penalties!?

I doubt it....

Why not? It was 1-1 after 120 minutes no matter how much pressure Bayern had.

For me, it's agony when you lose on penalties but it's the only way to create excitement. Golden Goal is ok but if teams go on the defensive they could be out there for hours before a goal is scored.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Each team does set plays from a minimum distance from the goal. Say from corner to corner in an arc, the team can place the ball anywhere along the arc, and take a free kick. The play ends when the ball is kicked out of bounds. A penalty by the defenders would replay the kick, by the attackers and the kick is forfeit.

The teams alternate until one team is ahead after the same amount of free kicks.

edit on 25-5-2012 by TheComte because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

They play until someone scores a point in the NFL, no one gets tired or quits. But if someone does that's why there are bench warmers.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

[quote]They play until someone scores a point in the NFL, no one gets tired or quits. But if someone does that's why there are bench warmers.

Have you ever watched soccer?

There are no time-outs, like in American football...

90 minutes of constant running, man...

Their poor bodies are pretty much fried by the end of that...

Not to mention, the opportunity to score a goal is much more limited--just look at Americana football scores vs. Soccer (real football)--whatever you want to call it...

In the NFL, there is a time out every few minutes via refs, replay calls, injuries, tv timeouts, regulation timeouts--no comparison...

A lil' craz idea of yours i say, just IMO...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

They play until someone scores a point in the NFL, no one gets tired or quits. But if someone does that's why there are bench warmers.

Ties can still happen in the NFL though if no one scores in overtime.

What I said still stands as well. The game, if dragged on for too long, or longer than was expected, would just become too boring for any spectators and players would still become tired - Let's remember, our game is different to yours in that respect. We only allow 3 substitutions per game.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BurningSpearess

90 minutes of constant running, man...

Their poor bodies are pretty much fried by the end of that...

Come on, be realistic. I've watched quite a bit of soccer and there are plenty of times when players are standing around or walking. And when they want a rest they fake an injury and lie on the ground for a few minutes. The same as a timeout IMO, and they can do it as much as they want.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Would personally like to see the golden goal come back in extra time, with an added rule : first goal wins, but every 5 mins each manager selects one person from their team to leave the field. So after 30 mins you're at 5 players from each side, 4 outfield players each, (if there's not already been sendings off.) then it carries on until one team scores if there's not been a goal already. But it's highly likely one team would've already scored before they get down to those numbers.
edit on 26-5-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

Come on, be realistic. I've watched quite a bit of soccer and there are plenty of times when players are standing around or walking. And when they want a rest they fake an injury and lie on the ground for a few minutes. The same as a timeout IMO, and they can do it as much as they want.

Okay, don't take me so literally, please...
I am being realistic...

I am making the comparison to American football and these differences are essentially obvious to one who is fond of both sports.

Think about it; in "true football"/ soccer there is no offense on/defense off like in American "football," which I didn't even touch in the post you analyzed. This affords even longer breaks...

True, they may not always be *running* in soccer, but they are most always on their feet, ready for whatever may quickly change on a very large pitch,and be proactive or reactive in seconds.

The fake injuries are an exception, not a rule IMO.

Note: sorry wwj for perhaps getting your thread off-tracks a bit, but I do believe that this plays into the possible end-time scenario, and needed to justify that...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join