It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternatives to the Penalty Shoot Out.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Sepp Blatter has challenged Franz Beckenbauer to come up with an alternative to the Penalty shoot out.

I actually think the penalty shoot out is the best way to decide a game if no winner has been decided at the end of play. They are exciting and to the neutral fan a great part of the game. There unpredictability make for a great spectacle.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter today labelled penalty shoot-outs "a tragedy" and challenged Franz Beckenbauer to come up with an alternative.
www.independent.co.uk... tive-7788407.html

So football fans, what would your alternative be? Or are you like me and enjoy a penalty shoot out (unless it's England of course)

edit on 25-5-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I agree. Its the best part for a non-fan. You guys should forget the soccer and just have penalty shoot outs.
Just kidding. They are good on EA fifa games too.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
This is the best way to decied a game! Its the only time the keeper gets a chance
too be the hero to, im sick of these people who run FIFA,
beckenbauer only wants it to change cuz a German team lost!
How many times have England lost a penalty shoot out? a lot of times i can tell you!
but thats football, also Platini is AGAINST goal line technology which will prove if
the ball has crossed the line or not, i bet he would quickly change his mind if
France went out of the Euros because they scored a goal that wasnt given!!
Get all these guys out of FIFA, they dont know what their doing!!
wheres all the english guys working for FIFA? did we not invent the game!??

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Chop_UK

We should take it back from FIFA. They are a bunch of corrupt elitists. I mean how long has Sepp Blatter been in charge. More like the MAFIA than FIFA.

As far as alternatives, maybe having penalties before the game? Then the team who loses know they have to win in normal time?
edit on 25-5-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
It is the fairest way to decide the game for sure... but being English, I obviously have some mental issues as a result of penalty shoot-outs :shk: :shk:

I mean really you could have a coin toss... you could keep playing until someone scores... you could have a "Crossbar Challenge" and the most people on a team to hit the crossbar wins the tournament for their team.

Joking (kind of) aside, yes... penalties are the fairest (and possibly cruelest) way to end a game.

And yes... F*** Blatter and FIFA.... bunch of corrupt wankers who are ruining the sport.

Everyone should just leave and boycott FIFA and we can all do our own tournaments

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Sepp's been in it for to long! To be honest i think it should stay as it is for pen's
If they did take them before the match i think there would be alot more negative footie matchs,
if a team knew they had already won penaltys, they could defend all game hoping for
a 0-0 result!! i know in the MLS they used to have a 35 yard line which players would run at
goal from with a time limit, maybe thats not such a bad idea?
Fifa = Mafia haha! we all know how currupt it is in Italy! (match fixing!)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
What about 5 corner kicks? That could be good.

I also like in the NHL how they come from halfway and get to skate at the goalie for their shoot outs. I would like to see a penalty shoot out where the soccer player circles the ball all dramatic then strolls down from halfway and scores. Soccer halfway is a long way though. Maybe dribble in from a quater way down the field.

You could also have overtime with less defensive players. Open the field up. Remove two defensive players for 5 mins overtime each way sudden death. First goal wins. If a draw,then running shoot out.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Why doesn't it just go into overtime until someone wins like in the NFL?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Usually there is an over time. If it is still undecided after that time, its golden goal.

vvv

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

Haha could you imagine them runnin from the centre spot, they would collapse before they got to the goal!
5 corners would be interesting tho, or maybe a good old fashioned replay!??

If its a draw they could play again few days later? would make for more money & tv viewing!!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Usually there is an over time. If it is still undecided after that time, its golden goal.

vvv

There's no golden goal anymore. Just extra time then penalties. The idea of going until someone wins is actually a pretty good idea, as is having to start with the ball on the half way line and shoot before the 6 yard line.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
The only thing that needs to change is the people who work for FIFA

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

We should take it back from FIFA. They are a bunch of corrupt elitists. I mean how long has Sepp Blatter been in charge. More like the MAFIA than FIFA.

Is there a thread yet on ATS looking extensively at the Fifa corruption conspiracy out of curiosity? You should write one up if not, It'd make a great thread in my opinion. This is a very, very real conspiracy after all, something I imagine few have have much doubt about.

Personally, like some others, I reeeally can't wait for Sepp to just go away as well. I don't care where he goes, as long as It's just not involved with football - Oh, and It would be just great if he could take some of his friends with him.

We don't need him nor do we want him. Sadly, I'm sure he knows this and yet.. he remains. Sigh. Changes to the game need to be made, and first and foremost we need the introduction of Intelligence. It's not even just a want, It's a genuine need.

Edit to add: And they want to take away a penalty shoot-out? You mean they're seriously considering taking away the most exciting aspect of the game? Well, good luck to them and their careers if such a thing was ever passed. But, let's hope it never is.
edit on 25-5-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

How can it be undecided? Why don't they just have overtime until someone scores another point and wins?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I think that maybe one of the alternatives they come up with. It makes as much sense as penalties.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

How can it be undecided? Why don't they just have overtime until someone scores another point and wins?

Simple - Because eventually the players would become too tired to continue (and perhaps even too tired to score) and the game would also become incredibly boring.

A Penalty shoot-out is an exciting end to a game, and a welcome change from the back and forth on the pitch. Removing that would destroy the game in my opinion.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

A game is undecided, if the scores are level. Remember in soccer, its 1 goal 1 point, as you say. So chances are much bigger in football to be level after the normal allocated time is over. Then it goes into some extra time. If the scores are still level, well it goes to a penalty shootout.

For me this setup works great. Some complain that it is not a good end to a match, but for me it makes sense.

vvv

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
They tried the Hockey way with Sudden Death aka Golden Goal and it wasn't popular (well, Germany won the European Championship in 1996 thanks to it)
Penalty Kick is a pure luck contest, there's so much that could go wrong (I was happy everything went wrong for Bayern Munich last week, i hate them
)

Maybe they should do it like in the NHL, where they decide regular games with a Penaly Shootout but during the Playoffs it's Overtime until someone wins. At least during Cupfinals and during the Playoff round of World Cup/European Championship should they just let them play until someone scores a goal.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I agree, i think penalties are the most exciting part of football in a major tournament,
the ups and downs you can go through over that 5mins or so is amazin,
who would of thought chelsea would win after missing their first penalty?!
Sure makes for some good entertainment!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Chop_UK

I agree, i think penalties are the most exciting part of football in a major tournament,
the ups and downs you can go through over that 5mins or so is amazin,
who would of thought chelsea would win after missing their first penalty?!
Sure makes for some good entertainment!

The Chelsea game is a really great example you know. I mean, they looked out of it at one point. I'm not a Chelsea fan usually, but since they were the only English team left in the tournament I supported them and again, at one point I was convinced they were going to lose that shoot-out. It just looked all over..

Munich at home, Chelsea, an English team and I'm sure we all know about our reputation with penalties, Neuer who's a great penalty saving goalkeeper, and then Chelsea on the backfoot.. just thought, "ohh here we go, business as usual then." In an instant though It was just completely turned on It's head thanks to Cech going the right way and getting a hand to the ball both times. It was an amazing end to the game.

That's the great thing about a shoot-out - It can be a lottery. The Keeper could go the wrong way after all, and there's honestly very little skill to it (talking as a goalkeeper myself btw). I really hope It's something that's never taken away from the game.

<<   2 >>

join