It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somebody please help me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
My uncle just gave me his sony vaio laptop forever.I didn't know that it was password protected and my uncle doesn't remember the password.It is a Windows Vista operating system.I tried everything from Safe mode to
administrator but somehow I can't get past the Vista login screen.

When my uncle gave the laptop,he had lost the adapter so i had to buy the adapter.When the guys at the hardware store tested the adapter,they got past the login screen somehow and the desktop screen appeared.How is that possible?(Note that this occurred before I knew it was password protected)I am completely locked out.

Please help me.
edit on 25-5-2012 by Claudius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
windows and passwords ... ??

use one of these . ophcrack is pretty good. Plenty of these programs around.

7 free windows password crack tools

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I regularly use the #2 one in the above post called Offline NT Password & Registry Editor]

Its so easy

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Do you know if this is the admin account? It probably is but I figure that's worth asking first because some people just make a new account and never have a password for the original admin account.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Just type "how to crack windows vista" on youtube.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Can't you pop the disc in and bring up the cmd prompt so you can activate the administrator account? I'm sure there are many ways of doing this.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
I regularly use the #2 one in the above post called Offline NT Password & Registry Editor]

Its so easy

+1

- or, failing that, a reinstall of Windows, which is always a nice idea when you get a PC or laptop from someone else anyway.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Claudius

I suggest doing a system reinstall. This will give you a fresh install with your own user account.

Most computers have a partition with the reinstall data on it. To get there, start the computer and tap F8 repeatedly until a screen comes up with startup options. One should say "Repair Your Computer" or something to that effect. Highlight that one and press enter. This should take you to the the install screen. Follow the instructions from there. What you want is a full reinstall.

The downside is that you will lose all data on the computer (pictures and stuff) but you can't get to them the way it is, anyway. Another downside is that you will have a ton of updates to do. You'll also have to install java, flash and whatever else you want. Be prepared to spend a few hours on the whole process, but it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
They most likely used a live windows PE cd.

You can reinstall windows, or you can use an NTFS boot disk to change the admin password. Both google accessible.

I'd just go with a reinstall, unless there is stuff on there you need. Then I'd clone the disk, reinstall and then assume rights over the drive with the fresh install - but it's been a long time since I did that, using ghost and ghost explorer. lol, old...

it's doable, but ntfs boot disks with the ability to change the pword work in seconds...

edit on 25-5-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Claudius

The guys in the store were able to get past the login screen because the computer was in hibernation mode which doesn't always require a password to get back in, it depends how they are setup. Then you did a hard reboot of the system (reset or power off) and this will require a password.

You can try to crack the password or do a full reinstall.

Im sure the Linux fan boys will be a long soon to try to convert you to using their system instead of windows.

edit on 25-5-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Or the windows fanbois to get the first blow in

I didn't did I ? I I did too !!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by doomedtoday
Do you know if this is the admin account? It probably is but I figure that's worth asking first because some people just make a new account and never have a password for the original admin account.

This worked for me as well OP! Try what this poster suggested if all else fails!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Password Recovery tool worked thanks for your suggestions.

top topics

join