It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trees that witnessed the rise and fall of empires throughout history

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Good thread, however.....one already exists:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

How to use the ATS search function
edit on 25/5/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

Thank you SO much for posting this, there are trees & names I have never heard of!

So much terrible news of late, this was a breathe of fresh air and a welcome change!

Fascinating

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Im facinated by tree's and there metaphysical wisdoms they share. I've read this book I think you would be interested in reading called "The Ringing Cedars" by Vladimir Megre.

The ringing Cedars

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I'm having an emotional morning but wow this is beautiful. The stories they could tell. Why am I crying?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Star and flag for finding and sharing. These photos and histories are amazing. It was a nice break from all of the "earth-shattering" doom and gloom a person gets exposed to here on ATS. Thanks!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
You think a lot like me my friend. Anytime I see a something very old, whether a tree, rock formations, or an ancient site in ruins, I can't help but think what all it has witnessed over the years. It also puts life a little more in perspective on the human lifetime, which isn't much compared to Earth.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

How do they determine their age??

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by gghg1

Thank you for bringing that YouTube. A unique perspective. Good song too.
By the way, welcome to ATS!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I found that thread, yes, by using ats-search. And it's a good read, i thank the OP for that.
The reason i made this thread was to add and share my personal selection and opinion and post them on one page here.
Also the ones i chose, selection of 10, are not the 10 oldest existing, but rather my selection of some of the oldest living. As i said there are a lot of trees with the same age as you can see in the link i provided.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by votan

How do they determine their age??

One way is to use a "tree corer". An invasive kind of drill that takes a "core" from the tree so they can count the rings. Some think it is harmful to the tree and should be discontinued. Depending on the tree and it's locale you can get a rough estimate by measuring its width across the base. We estimate from the data provided when they used to log and then count the rings on the stump. They made contests out of who cut the oldest tree today.

Tree coring

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
great thread, not quite so aged , but local to me ........... major oak

wont go into too much detail...... robin hood/maid marian etc...
legend/myth whathaveyou.
just bookmarking.
back later.

edit on 25/5/12 by vince_convinced because: can't......get.......the......picture....to....sigh.

edit on 25/5/12 by vince_convinced because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Another method is taking a small sample of the inner core(the oldest part) of the tree and use radiocarbon dating.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by vince_convinced

I don't know when that pic was taken, but we went there a few years ago, that tree is delapidated, theres like telegraph poles holding it up, and its dead in the centre of a clumber park. Its near to me so might pop over there this weekend check it out

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
God dangit 'The Baobab' is HUGE! Wow, amazing thread OP! F+S for you! Only if Humans could live that long

edit on 25-5-2012 by spire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
nice post

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I wish we had more threads like this on ATS S&F

god i love quality information.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
This post is really cool! I am a certifed arborist with the isa... you would be surprised at how old some trees are. In Texas there is a stand of live oaks numbering thousands spread over more then a hundred miles... most of these trees are on ranches and in front yard of homes. They're average age maybe 1500 to 2500 years old. Some of these oaks got topped by the french and spanierds 500 years ago to build or repair ships. They're regrowth is staggering. Some regrowth limbs are four feet in dia. In fact some trees have a flat spot over the trunk where the limbs connect that is over a hundred square feet in dia. A result in being topped by ship builders

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
this post made me smile and say "wow", thank you!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Wow, I love this thread. I live in New England, and close to my house are some of the oldest trees in America. They are big oak, maple and black walnut. Most of the old elms have disappeared but there are some left.

I have often wondered what these trees could possibly tell us. They have witnessed so much of American history (and this is biased, but the same holds true for the rest of the world) that somehow, I believe that we will find a way some day to query their stored knowledge, as it is said that a tree possibly records so much more than we understand, and today we just know by their ring structure, what kind of environment they were in in those years.

I think it is so important to save the large trees. I am saddened when I go down the street and find that someone has sacrificed a really old tree, just because it interfered with their property and house. They could just trim it, but sadly, most just cut them down.

Please save the old trees.
edit on 25-5-2012 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

edit on 25-5-2012 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Wonderful thread....the beautiful old trees you shared with us were a delight to see.

Am fortunate enough to have spent alot of time around the CA Redwoods, they really are breathtaking and beautiful......lol...never met a tree I didn't like......

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join