Trees that witnessed the rise and fall of empires throughout history

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by intergalactic fire

Well, thanks again for not automatically getting offended! When I tried to look at it in a way that someone who didn't know what it was would, it didn't sound complimentary.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

I just searched the web for ' indonesian trees'.
The first link i came across was the indonesian treeman.
Wow that's some special tree
Talking about 'if a tree could talk' i think we may have found one.
Another thing i didn't knew.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yes! I totally agree...from now on maybe we can nickname intergalactic fire as the "Lorax" of ATS.

I present to you all, "intergalactic fire" will be now be known as the INTERGALACTIC LORAX. It's an honorable mention my friend

I love the pics and this thread is breathe taking
I will always visit to review these beautiful pictures.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Fantastic pictures!
The Baobab is my favourite.

Baobab Fruit

S&F!

I love trees!!
edit on 25-5-2012 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePublicEnemyNo1
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yes! I totally agree...from now on maybe we can nickname intergalactic fire as the "Lorax" of ATS.

I present to you all, "intergalactic fire" will be now be known as the INTERGALACTIC LORAX. It's an honorable mention my friend

I love the pics and this thread is breathe taking
I will always visit to review these beautiful pictures.

It is indeed honorable! Intergalactic Lorax is his name, and his name shall be Intergalactic Lorax!

The thread is awe inspiring, I have to agree. You won't be alone revisiting it that's for sure!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
You could add this one here in Oz to the list as it's been estimated at over 10000 years old

Mt Read Huon Pine

(I'd have uploaded the pic but ATS uploads is really quirky and seldom works for me)

Not that it's seen any empires rise & fall in that time as there's been no human activity in that lonely place for that length of time. Tasmanian wilderness can be virtually impenetrable, well prior to the recent rise of the bulldozers at least.
edit on 25/5/2012 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
What a wonderful thread to wake up to! This are amazing, my bucket list of places to visit keeps getting longer and longer!

Also, a thanks to whoever that was that posted a pic of the baobab fruits, they look so different!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Thank you, OP, for posting this thread. I am a green thumb, so to speak, so I loved reading about all those ancient trees.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Looking at the Patriarca de Floresta and Baobab i felt a overwhelmingly happy feelings, i don't know why.

These are just amazing, imagine what sort of events happened near the tress and if trees could in reality "remember" those events.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I want to hug them, seriously love the pictures.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Very cool, thanks for sharing. I have an Oak tree in my yard that is older than America. It is the most beautiful tree and I love having it in my yard. I also love to climb up in it and watch the wildlife out back. Makes a great hunting location during hunting season as well.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
What a wikid interesting thread, Ive often thought about what these amazing living things might have shared their time with.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Great thread and thanks.

I have been communicating at plants and trees since I can remember, and I feel at rare times they communicate back.

I could just be crazy though. .. either way I dont mind.

cheers!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

if only trees could talk

ahhh but they can.
It is we who need to learn how to listen.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Hey now. excellent work on trees here. Thanks for bringing them for us to jaw drop at. They are the sentinels of history as it were, having stood guard over time itself.

I live on the west coast and have paid many forests a visit. There is a certain feeling one gets when standing in the presence of one of these ancient denizens. If you are quiet and just open your mind you get this feeling of patience, of insignificance, of the Devine ( or something like that). That the ground upon which you stand has been there undisturbed by cataclysm for millennia and this monster tree is proof that life goes on, somewhere.

By the way I would like to add a pic or two of the Methuselah tree so everyone at least knows what it actually looks like. I have visited it a number of times. I know exactly where it is and what it looks like.

There is a bit of history I can relate about it from memory. The region of that forest was logged in the early 20th century and Methuselah escaped only because it's wood was considered un suitable for the lumber industry. Sitting atop a ridge it has been exposed to the weather and acted like a lightning rod for centuries. It is believed that this is what finally toppled the top of the tree in 1954 reducing its height from 225 feet to just 137 feet.

The bit of forest it occupies was home to some coastal Indians that left their mark nearby in the form of pestle holes in rock where they ground their flour. The whole place is magical. Nowadays its exact location is being kept secret for fear of vandalism(???).

I get why. The tree is unprotected as it sits right off a main road. People drive by it all the time and unless you know exactly where to pull off and go look, you'll never find it. In the past, people carved their name in its trunk and stomped all around its base, which BTW, is very, very bad for the roots of any of the ancients. So don't do it. Just take pictures of the tree (by itself) from at least 30 feet away They were afraid that the constant activity would finish it off so now they pretend to not know where it is. Other pictures on the web crack me up. They show the location to be Sierra Nevada and their dried out stump of a dead tree is not the real Methuselah.
Okay... I'll go with the flow too.

Edit: Take off your shoes, you are on Holy Ground:

www.google.com...
edit on 25-5-2012 by intrptr because: YouTube

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Thanks so much for posting these. This was the morning wake-up I would love every day! Trees do indeed talk and my childhood was spent communing with them in their loving arms. My mom is a tree-lover and always taught me the ways of the trees. My 5 year old hugs trees. He likes to talk to them and touch them. He says they make whispering noises when he talks to them. Childhood imagination, or something more..? If he hears people trimming branches, he gets very anxious and if they are cutting a tree down, he gets SUPER upset. The HOA recently removed a pine tree behind our house and he was yelling at the workers out the window to stop hurting the tree. It was very upsetting for him.

One of the best ways to listen to them is to remove your shoes and either stand at their base (by the roots and moss) and lean against them, touching the trunk with your palms in an embrace, or if you are more daring, climb up in them and sit in their many laps. They are incredibly supportive and their bark feels amazing against your arms and cheek. You can hear their soul in your ear and their connection with our Mother Earth. They are rooted in her and channel her energy.

It would be my dream to touch these ancient trees..I think I will make it my quest to hug at least one on your list.
edit on 25-5-2012 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It's amazing how we can be in the presence of a living thing that is 3,000 years old.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This thread is a good place to remind ourselves that man is the only animal who purposely destroys forests. It's a symptom of societal and individual mental illness and retardation, and nobody in real power on a one-world level is doing anything about it (which speaks volumes for your one-world government types).

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It's funny how a species that only lives for about 80 years can chop down a species that lives for 80 thousand years like it's goin' out of style!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
This thread reminded me of a song by the band The SteelDrivers. Its a narrative of a Civil war battle as told from the perspective of a tree. Here is a link to the Youtube video www.youtube.com...

new topics
top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join