It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People are marching in the streets all over Quebec

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Tonight, May 24th, thousands of people throughout Quebec have spontaneously gotten up and are marching throughout the province.

What started off, 102 days ago, as a student protest to which the government responded by passing Bill 78, a repressive law limiting the right to protest has now become a protest throughout the province by students, workers, job seekers. It doesn't matter anymore where you are from, people have had enough of this corrupt government.

A couple of days ago, a teacher suggested using a method that worked well in Chile and in Argentina. The idea was to get people outside between 8:00 and 8:15 and to start banging on cooking pans. People throughout the province started doing this, but didn't stop at 8:15. And tonight they just started marching through the streets.

One protest was organised in Montreal and one in Quebec city, but many more are going on throughout Montreal and across Quebec.

I never ever, in my wildest dreams, expected to see something like this here.

I am searching for English language coverage and will be posting these.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
So as not to duplicate the work of others, here's a link to a discussion with the pertinent background information: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Here is live coverage from Concordia University TV

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The French language news here is covering this wall to wall; no other news is coming out right now, all the channels are on the protests. Unfortunately, I'm not finding anything about it on English feeds.

But let me tell you; this is huge. There has been support over the past few days from Canadian students, New York OWS, even a protest in Paris. Thanks everyone. And tomorrow night, if you feel like it, take out your frying pans at 8:00 and bang them for 15 minutes!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
What they are thinking: "We need to build bigger prisons."

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I fear it may not stop anytime soon. People everywhere are angry at just about everything. Quebec just started shouting back first.

What's more, posted a thread here earlier today (sorry, just got off work)
My thread was about the gov't budgeting in millions for the online piracy act that isn't even law yet.
Yes, we already said a resounding no and they're at it again.

What will happen when the rest of the country starts seeing what Quebec is doing? Is that why there is not much for English news about it?

I mentioned it to my neighbor and he had no idea what was going on in Quebec!

The whole country needs to get together and send a clear message.

They can't arrest us all.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ajmusicmedia

The station just went offline. There were a few thousand viewers at the time. Just before that they reported that filled buses were going by and police vehicles all filled with arrested citizens. Guess we'll find out later.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
back on air--- Translation by me: They say the police are now following them and as they move closer to a major intersection, Sherbrooke and something, they see police ahead. This is a calm demonstration, but it gives me a chill nevertheless. They are moving to Lafontaine park so as not to block access to the nearby hospital. It is almost 1AM and they are still in concert banging lightly on pots. Some look as though they are settling into the park to rest. Some cars honk their horns is support, so the marchers think.

They have been walking since 9PM. This is the night of the pots. Some unknown person suggested they bang on a pot and the rest quickly joined them from all over with a pot and stick or a lid and spoon. There is an air of calm persistence. On the march again I only see youth at papineau and Sherbrooke. English commentary is on now, so will end. Police via megaphone are asking them to let traffic flow through. link to live converage at CUTV here

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance

They can't arrest us all.

Nope but that can shoot everyone.

Imagine if everyone was out protesting around the world at the exactly the same time?

lotsa shooting

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
There were no arrests tonight which is a nice change... Last night they arrested over 500 people in Montreal and close to 200 in Quebec City.

The only thing now that can calm things down would be for the premier, Jean Charest, to resign and the dismantiling of bill 78. Can't wait for tomorrow...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Here is a fantastic article from the New Yor,k Times.

Our Not-So-Friendly Northern Neighbor

It's the best article I've seen so far in English; it explains the situation perfectly and gives you a background of the Quebec social situation.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
The power of change... Blessings... We are all watching Quebec through the internet.. of course.. CNN with its viewership at a 20 year low prefers to show 'Syria Danny' and other contrived tales instead of the truth in Quebec..

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Hold on just a second.
I don't wanna sound like captain buzzkill but theres something highly suspicious about all this.
First, everyone I speak about this are absolutely outrage by these manifestations. Students, teachers, co-worker, clients, ppl in the streets, I can't find a soul around me that doesn't support (Liberals) Jean Charest in his process of slightly raising tuttion fees.

Second, why no one is talking about these huge construction contacts fraudulently obtained, the guy had an Italian name and the list starting to be effin long now. The corruption is totally everywhere and I really suspect this was all carefully planed by a few individuals to gain some "capital politique", The unions are getting behind this and at this point we all know what the unions are capable. This wont be pretty.. /sigh

By the look of it, its a storm in a glass. People are walking in the street for their daily exercise so its not that bad after all. I just hope someone is not trying to divide and conquer. Thats my only concern.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by eagleeye2

I don't know much about it but I think the idea is they passed the law is to prevent the few that would protest the tuition raise. But now even though they're still talking about that, it no longer really has anything to do with that. Now it's a much more serious issue about taking their right to protest away.

A bad situation easily turned into a complete cluster and now the fight is about something completely different. Kinda like me and my ex. Never ever did we end the fight with what we started it with. Always turned into a huge cluster somewhere in the middle about something completely different because someone wanted to out jerk the other.

Take note, I said my ex. Let that be a warning I guess. If the gov keeps trying to out jerk the people and make mountains out of mole hills then the people in gov just might find themselves getting broke up with too.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by eagleeye2

The tuition is going up because prices are going up because student loan balloons which are basically another way to scam the public.... and around it goes.. just another mortgage bubble waiting to happen.. This is not about taxes going up.. That train has long since left the station.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Situation is pretty same in all NATO world. I chose NATO, because it is geographically almost perfect match.
Middle classes looted by capital without face, less and less job opportunities, lies of governments - incorporated under UN UMBRELLA Inc. - eroded by internet. Result?
Social tension is rising. Today I heard 50+ something old village guy:
"We should do a defenestration, it's only solution."

The role of Presstitution is perfectly apparent: there are large demonstrations and other forms of protests all over the Atlantic alliance daily, but almost no reporting in MSM. Situation in Japan will inevitably deteriorate - at least economically - thanks to Fukuzilla. It is warming everywhere, because screws are tightening everywhere.
edit on 25-5-2012 by JanAmosComenius because: addddd

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Yeah right! I didnt see this on Fox!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I hope we can get something like this started in America. it's good to finally see people standing up for their rights against these corrupt governments.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join