It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strong Emotions Makes People's Brains 'Tick Together'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
A research team at Aalto University and Turku PET Centre,has revealed that experiencing strong emotions synchronizes brain activity accross individuals.

Human emotions are highly contagious. Seeing others' emotional expressions such as smiles triggers often the corresponding emotional response in the observer. Such synchronization of emotional states across individuals may support social interaction: When all group members share a common emotional state, their brains and bodies process the environment in a similar fashion.

Emotions contagious? Why am I not suprised about this? I've always believed that we can give off energy within our own bodies based on how we feel. It's the same reason why people are happy around others that are happy as well, sad around those who are sad. When one person starts laughing in the room, even without knowing what the person is laughing about others will follow along with that person and start laughing themselves. What about yawning? Ever seen someone yawn and find yourself yawning as well a little after they did? I think, that's basically what this is.

What do you guys think?

Source

Regards,

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

No wonder all the emotional people I know are total sheep, group-thinkers . . .

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Not that I'm implying that this thread should be shut down by any means, I think this article is deserving of one. I would just like to bring attention to the fact that I have already previously included this article in two threads of mine.

First Thread, that I started today:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
PROVING: 46 & 2, "The Next Major Human Advancement", The Awakening... I'm Almost There,

and...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
I Need Some Answers, Sun, NMR, Gene Expression, Light, Behavioural Psychology, Circadian Rhythm, Etc,

Here's what I'd like to take from both of those Threads, and add to this one... I'm not going to outline everything, for I have already done so in the threads that I have linked, rather I will provide another article that is to correspond with this one.

The possibilities, and what this alludes to is SIMPLY AMAZING.

Brains Wired for 'Avalanches' -- And Learning
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (May 2, 2012) — The brain's neurons are coupled together into vast and complex networks called circuits. Yet despite their complexity, these circuits are capable of displaying striking examples of collective behavior such as the phenomenon known as "neuronal avalanches," brief bursts of activity in a group of interconnected neurons that set off a cascade of increasing excitation.

A neuronal avalanche is a cascade of bursts of activity in neuronal networks whose size distribution can be approximated by a power law, as in critical sandpile models (Bak et al. 1987). Neuronal avalanches are seen in cultured and acute cortical slices (Beggs and Plenz, 2003; 2004). Activity in these slices of neocortex is characterized by brief bursts lasting tens of milliseconds, separated by periods of quiescence lasting several seconds. When observed with a multielectrode array, the number of electrodes driven over threshold during a burst is distributed approximately like a power law. Although this phenomenon is highly robust and reproducible, its relation to physiological processes in the intact brain is currently not known.

Neuronal avalanche
www.scholarpedia.org...

Just think about the connection between ticking together, and the idea of a neuronal avalanche... To fully grasp this idea, some research as to the workings of a neuronal avalanche is warranted.

Ahhh man, it's hard not to rant on and on about this, but... I have already done so in the two threads that I linked above.

what a future we have a head of us....

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I would have to agree with you based on my personal experiences. Simply put, it's kind of like when someone says to you "Gee, I sure am glad I talked to you today...you made me laugh when I was sad".

I can't always, but I always try to make others (strangers too) smile, simply by smiling at them for no reason. It does seem to have a rather positive affect on others and myself. On the flip side of things, when I'm upset, it seems to affect anyone I walk by. I've passed by people who looked at me and were like "What's her problem"? Maybe if we all tried making others feel better, so could it be.

I dunno, call me crazy or whatever, I just believe in "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Others Do Unto You". Since I would like others to at least put a smile on my face, I always try to smile at others...and it works!

SnF

edit on 5/24/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Also, it is awesome that you bring up the idea of yawning, and loosely correlate it with empathy...

Just thought I'd toss this in here, to back up what you said...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Just looking at the video in still without playing it made me yawn...lol

edit on 5/24/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Political correctness has trickled over to scientific studies.
Emotion and logic are at the opposite ends of the spectrum and as more and more people join the emotional collective only means that more and more people are no longer able to think logically.
We are now at a point where people have a need to belong instead of doing what they know and feel is right.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Emotion and logic are at the opposite ends of the spectrum and as more and more people join the emotional collective only means that more and more people are no longer able to think logically.

Nonsense!

Integration and equal validity of both left and right brain function feeds into higher cerebral activity such as critique.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Also, it is awesome that you bring up the idea of yawning, and loosely correlate it with empathy...

Just thought I'd toss this in here, to back up what you said...

Thank you so much, I was trying to think of that.

1. Smiling
2. Sneezing
3. Fear or any other emotional body for that matter
4. Rhythm of breath
5. Accents
6. Yawning

Smiling is probably the number one thing which is stil remarkable to me.

FMRI was used in an event related design to examine healthy subjects while they regarded happy, sad, or neutral faces and were instructed to simultaneously move the corners of their mouths either (a). upwards or (b). downwards, or (c). to refrain from movement. The subjects' facial movements were recorded with an MR-compatible video camera.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

edit on 25-5-2012 by greyer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Emotions are contagious because of mirror neurons.
Too long to discuss here, but if you google it you'll get a plethora of info.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Emotions transmitted and received COLLECTIVELY. Makes sense, now what happens if they begin manifesting together/COLLECTIVELY positive outcomes? snf Op

top topics

join