It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Akkorokamui

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I came across this cryptid while thinking about the kraken. I searched for a thread, but couldn't find one.

So:

Akkorokamui is a kraken-like creature that is rumoured to live in Funka Bay, Hokaido. It is supposedly red in color and nearly 400 feet long. There are quite a few sightings recorded among the Ainu People, but also, one sighting recorded by John Batchelor, an English missionary in the 19th century who lived in the area:

"In the morning, we found the whole village under a cloud. Three men, it was said, were out trying to catch swordfish, when all at once a great sea monster, with large staring eyes, appeared in front of them and proceeded to attack the boat. A desperate fight ensued. The monster was round in shape, and emitted a dark fluid and noxious odor. The three men fled in dismay, not so much indeed for fear, they say, but on account of the dreadful smell. However that may have been, they were so scared that the next morning all three refused to get up and eat; they were lying in their beds pale and trembling."- John Batchelor, "The Ainu and their Folklore"

Sounds awesome.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Possibly a giant squid? Maybe he was upset that the ship was serving calimari.

S&F

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

S&F

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

S&F

Can't blame him for that

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Intersting stuff. I once heard about a Kraken like Octopus that live's in a giant sistem of caves in the ocean underground. Josh Gates gone after that thing and filmed a giant tentacle coming out of one of those sistems.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Frocharocha

That's awesome! I'm kind of obsessed with kraken - I'm going to search what you told me.
Thank you!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frocharocha
Intersting stuff. I once heard about a Kraken like Octopus that live's in a giant sistem of caves in the ocean underground. Josh Gates gone after that thing and filmed a giant tentacle coming out of one of those sistems.

i have been unable to find anything related to that. Any link that could help?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracySquid7

Sure, here:

en.wikipedia.org... = Lusca/ Giant octopus.

en.wikipedia.org... = Place they said it lives.

Sorry but i could not find the episode, neither in youtube or in the internet.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Frocharocha

Do you have a link to that story? I'd dearly love to know more about this.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm not putting down your thread or anything but I've always thought things like the kraken and I guess this creature your talking about are real and are just a really giant squid. I mean look at how deep giant squid live in the ocean who know's how big they can get

In saying that though I can't really say I've researched the Kraken before but this has definitely got me thinking I should start

The sea's already scary enough

Thanks

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I have a few questions. where in japan was this sighting. the northern area or southern. I ask because giant squid need very cold water to survive because their blood is so thin and carries little oxygen, nor can get much O2 from the water. hence it needs to stay very deep where the water is frigid. They usually can only come to the surface briefly in very cold waters. So i'm wondering if this was seen in the northern seas off japan.

Also, if it's an octopus maybe it can get around the cold water/think blood issue. But i do know that the giant pacific octopus only live in the north pacific in very cold waters. So maybe the jury is still out as to what this kraken like creature is.

In regards to the smell. Giant squid have a abundance of ammonia in their flesh, they are said to taste awful due to this. Yeah some people somewhere have actually eaten some giant squid tentacle. Could have been when they injured the creature that was what they were smelling. Also squid move their eyes to look forward when they are striking to give them unprecedented binocular vision. could be where the staring eyes comment came from.

new topics

top topics

join