It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who does the talking when you think?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
When I think I use language to form my thoughts. In a sense I'm having a conversation with myself. Does anybody else function that way? During that inner monologue do you hear a voice, or is that process voiceless, more abstract?

Some people tell me that they form mental pictures instead of "talking".

How does your brain work?
In my case there are 3 of me...Left Hemisphere...Right Hemisphere and Subconscious. This is why you as well as I and many people Talk to themselves as there is a battle going on inside your head between the Analytical...Left side...Creative...Right side and the Subconscious which in my case is the Boss and determines which side will have greater imput.

The Subconscious is like Recording Computer of all information that a persons senses pick up. So if you happen to walk by a person on the beach reading a book and you glane at the open book...your Subconscious records EVERYTHING and every word that your eyes quickly glanced at and stores that information.

On occasion...I can access certain information if my Subconscious allows me to and this is usually only under certain circumstances of which it determines that I need to know. But I have not the ability to FORCE my Subconsciouses cooperation.

After recieving a CT scan...I was told I have an abnormally dense neural interconnectivity between my Brains Hemispheres...this may be why my Subconscious has a larger role than most in being a JUDGE over two sides of my brain that want to run with the ball. Split Infinity

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
lol you're the one observing the thoughts. the thought isn't you. really a lot of you are saying there are two of you. there is not two of you lol. just 1. or maybe a exorcist should be called

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

Actually...3 of me. The only time a problem arises is when a person does not realize that all 3 are part of the whole...if they don't realize this you find that they will develop split personalities or schizophrenia. But in truth...each Hemisphere of the Brain as well as the minds Subconscious is an entity to itself. Split Infinity

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sinohptik
reply to post by Xtrozero

I think that brings up a curiosity of mine as well.. If we can think in images, why do we choose to think in language? Picture being worth a thousand words and all that

And, to answer your question if the implication wasnt clear; without language, Id propose they would probably just "think" with images.

This takes us down the path of whether we would be unable to think in the abstract. Thinking in the abstract is what makes us human... Everything about us comes from this core ability. We would be hardly better off than chimps if we could not have abstract thoughts.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

When I think I use language to form my thoughts. In a sense I'm having a conversation with myself. Does anybody else function that way? During that inner monologue do you hear a voice, or is that process voiceless, more abstract?

In my case there are 3 of me...Left Hemisphere...Right Hemisphere and Subconscious. This is why you as well as I and many people Talk to themselves as there is a battle going on inside your head between the Analytical...Left side...Creative...Right side and the Subconscious which in my case is the Boss and determines which side will have greater imput.

The Subconscious is like Recording Computer of all information that a persons senses pick up. So if you happen to walk by a person on the beach reading a book and you glane at the open book...your Subconscious records EVERYTHING and every word that your eyes quickly glanced at and stores that information.

On occasion...I can access certain information if my Subconscious allows me to and this is usually only under certain circumstances of which it determines that I need to know. But I have not the ability to FORCE my Subconsciouses cooperation.

After recieving a CT scan...I was told I have an abnormally dense neural interconnectivity between my Brains Hemispheres...this may be why my Subconscious has a larger role than most in being a JUDGE over two sides of my brain that want to run with the ball. Split Infinity

So who exactly is the "I" that you refer to in your sentences?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

I is all 3 of us. There has to be unity because if not...you go NUTS!

Example...I am very good at Math. I am also an Artist of many abilities. I am a Musician, a Sculptor, A Painter, I can draw anyones face with any pen, pencil, Charcoal, whatever. But because I have a very good connection between my creative Hemisphere and my Left Hemisphere...the one responsible for my math skills...I am good at Theoretical Concepts of Divergent Universal States based on Quantum Particle Interchange as a result of Cause and effect that creates choice of action. Thus...a Choice based upon this may create an entire Alternate Universal Reality.

Without having the ability to use both Hemispheres in conjuction with my Subconscious...I would not be able to calculate nor understand the creation of these Divergent Realities. The part of me that allows a certain percentage of thought to be directed to one side or the other is the Subconscious Mind...and it tends to have a Mind of it's own. Not everyone understands what is going on when one part of you is directing another part and that is when you hear stories like...I hear voices! That is not good. Split Infinity

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

When the three become one you shall enter the kingdom.
The one is the one who is aware of the three. The one contains all.
The one is silent.
The one is not a thing, not a career, not a gender, not a musician, not any thing.
The one is knowing - seeing, hearing, tasting, touching, smelling and thinking.
The one is aware of all appearances appearing and disappearing.
edit on 26-5-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I can tell my body using thoughts to do anything and if its physically possible it will happen. I can double my heartbeat, get footache, heal wounds etc.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Swamper

Can you tell your thoughts to stop thinking? Can you stop thought from arising?
Is it you that chooses what thought comes next?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

reply to post by autowrench

Pls don't take this the wrong way, but what is the difference between your condition and schizophrenia? This is a serious question and I don't mean to ridicule. I'm always worried when people talk about "outside agents" that guide their thinking.

No offense taken. Schizophrenics often "lose touch" with reality. I am fully grounded in Third Dimensional Earth Reality, such as it is. Schizophrenics have hallucinations; things a person sees, hears, smells, or feels that no one else can see, hear, smell, or feel. I have experienced hallucinations, while under the influence of Lysergic acid diethylamide, and Psilocybin mushrooms. I have also seen real, ghostly beings that others also saw. I have also saw Earth from Space. If you choose to label me as such, be my guest, in many ways being a Schizophrenic is better than what some have called me. Everybody has labels for that which they cannot understand, you are in good company.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

I is all 3 of us. There has to be unity because if not...you go NUTS!

Example...I am very good at Math. I am also an Artist of many abilities. I am a Musician, a Sculptor, A Painter, I can draw anyones face with any pen, pencil, Charcoal, whatever. But because I have a very good connection between my creative Hemisphere and my Left Hemisphere...the one responsible for my math skills...I am good at Theoretical Concepts of Divergent Universal States based on Quantum Particle Interchange as a result of Cause and effect that creates choice of action. Thus...a Choice based upon this may create an entire Alternate Universal Reality.

Without having the ability to use both Hemispheres in conjuction with my Subconscious...I would not be able to calculate nor understand the creation of these Divergent Realities. The part of me that allows a certain percentage of thought to be directed to one side or the other is the Subconscious Mind...and it tends to have a Mind of it's own. Not everyone understands what is going on when one part of you is directing another part and that is when you hear stories like...I hear voices! That is not good. Split Infinity

No offense, but you're not answering the question. If there is 3 deciding agents, who/what tips the balance to "realize" a thought and make a decision? Is it random, or first come first served? What is the "agency" in charge of weighting the pros and cons of each thought?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swamper
I can tell my body using thoughts to do anything and if its physically possible it will happen. I can double my heartbeat, get footache, heal wounds etc.

Yes, but what does "I" really mean? Mind, soul, self-organising brain?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

The input arrives through a persons various sensory devices...eyes, ears, nose, tongue, skin touch, also the Human Nervous system is responsible for other sensory inputs. The ability and development of these systems varies person to person but it has alot to do with what State the Mind is in...Alpha, Beta...etc...but they exist no the less.

When this data is sent to the FRONTAL CORTEX...the area of the Human Brain responsible for dissemination of all Sensory Input which is being automatically recorded by the Brains Subconscious...the Frontal Cortex determines on a Conscious and Subconscious level what information to disregard and which data to be sent to various regions of the brain responsible from everything from a cut on your finger to a idea that allows Deep Conceptual and Theoretical thought.

When it comes to discussion on a board like this...what a person reads is sent to the Frontal Cortex and then some is sent to the Left Hemisphere...Logic and Analytical Thought our Right Hemisphere...Creative Thought...a BATTLE BEGINS! Each Hemisphere has it's own take on any particular subject...in the case of some people...this renders them incapable of forming an Concept or Opinion that has merit. At the point that this occurs within me...the Subconscious gives both Hemispheres as SLAP! Since the Subconscious is the only part of a persons identity that has 100% PERFECT RECALL...it can direct certain aspects of a concept or idea to one or the other Hemisphere in which ever percentage it determines is necessary...thus even though the Subconscious already has the answer...it needs to inform the Conscious Mind of what the answer is and sometimes the Conscious Mind does not get it right. This is when a persons starts to Dream Specific of get that GUT FEELING that something is wrong.

Lucky for me...my Subconscious sometimes allows me to CONSCIOUSLY ACCESS IT...and I am also a LUCID DREAMER! I ALWAYS know I am dreaming. Split Infinity

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Very interesting. Thanks!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Listen...I am lucky that I am not like some people who has issues with thinking that they hear voices...well...they probably do! The difference is that I know who and what the voices are. I have a habit of when I KNOW I have missed something...I will spontaneously begin to talk words that I know are coming from my Subconscious Mind. They just come out and have no relation to ANYTHING that is going on at the moment.

It is my Subconscious trying to tell me something about what I missed. I am used to it and some people find it alittle disconcerning...but my Subconscious is NEVER WRONG. I have learned to listen to it and it saves me alot of trouble.

Plus there is the issue of my IQ...I find it hard to find people to converse with particular subjects that I have interest and lucky me...there are a few here that like to talk about these subjects also. But I do many things and have many interests but sometimes I feel a bit isolated even though there are always plenty of people who would like to talk with me because I tour in a Known band. I can talk to my fellow band mates as they are all genius level in their ability of music and recording techniques....but I stay away from after parties now days as I find Mental Stimulation SEXY and a Woman who has a BRAIN is very attractive to me.

I am also not one to concern myself with the IN SCENE as even though I am always invited to these parties...I am forced by contract to go to 4 CD release parties a year. I find it interesting how a person who 6 months ago who was homeless now living in a Huge home in Malibu...seems to find time to complain about people who are waiting to get a job outside a Home Depot that happens to be next to a Favorite Salon of hers and how she has such disdain for these poor people because they are dirty and she doesn't want them near her car...a vehicle that has a price tag that could buy a Home.

I stay in a corner and hope to GOD no one asks my opinion. Because if they do...I will tell them. Split Infinity

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Oh yes I hear a voice, the question is if the voice sounds like you, or what you are 'thinking.' We have short term memory so out of the thousands of thoughts in the day we probably don't remember any. It is a good question for spirituality because supposedly every thought is a record. If one had an experience that is where the pictures come in, it could be a relationship, mountain bike ride, but pictures would be formed to dwell on later, which also effect emotions. A relaxed state can be produced, maybe meditating in a sauna, but our mind can be calm and not thinking anything, just intaking outer surroundings. The intake of enviroments can cause a reaction almost like a thought based on developed views from other stored thoughts.

My mind preys on my words, actions, and thoughts. I ridicule myself and I feel sorry, I say that I'm sorry.

I cannot explain how much this thread is enlightening, to realize this is probably the first step to mentalism.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Cool! I used to tour as well. What instrument do you play? Bass?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

That wasn't a quote, but a summarization of decades of human development research.

Not to be rude, but I've studied this for years.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
And I thought I was the only one who talked to myself in my head. I thought I was the only one who was crazy. Now I find I am not alone in this ability. You're all just as crazy as I am. This makes me feel better.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
who does the talking?

personally, i'm starting to think it's satan.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join