It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who does the talking when you think?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Pls don't take this the wrong way, but what is the difference between your condition and schizophrenia? This is a serious question and I don't mean to ridicule. I'm always worried when people talk about "outside agents" that guide their thinking.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
When I think I use language to form my thoughts. In a sense I'm having a conversation with myself. Does anybody else function that way? During that inner monologue do you hear a voice, or is that process voiceless, more abstract?

Some people tell me that they form mental pictures instead of "talking".

How does your brain work?

The body does the speaking. It always has. There's nothing to prove otherwise.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Do you mean the brain?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
What if someone never learned a language how would they talk to themselves? This is an interesting concept in how does a brain develop advance thought if it has no language to think the thought with?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

I enjoyed your post, especially when you mentioned Julian Jaynes and his great opus The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind
I read this in my late teens, early twenties and think it was very Influential in my personal philosophy's formation.

It makes sense if you take the time to digest all he says, and I really should follow up and see who currently is basing their thought on his theories, they are interesting to say the least.

A friend and I have discussed this theory and the Wernicke's area that might function like Broca's area of the brain in many fashions, mainly I believe having to do with speech.

Jaynes thought that we basically might have been functional schizophrenics and it is an amazing ride with his theories,
I suggest looking into the Julian Jaynes Society. You can get all the info you need through them.

Cheers

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen23

I enjoyed your post, especially when you mentioned Julian Jaynes and his great opus The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind
I read this in my late teens, early twenties and think it was very Influential in my personal philosophy's formation.

It makes sense if you take the time to digest all he says, and I really should follow up and see who currently is basing their thought on his theories, they are interesting to say the least.

A friend and I have discussed this theory and the Wernicke's area that might function like Broca's area of the brain in many fashions, mainly I believe having to do with speech.

Jaynes thought that we basically might have been functional schizophrenics and it is an amazing ride with his theories,
I suggest looking into the Julian Jaynes Society. You can get all the info you need through them.

Cheers

Yes I read it too ... did you know in this book Julian Jaynes called Jesus 'the first conscious man'?
edit on 24/5/12 by troubleshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

Yes
Trying to wake up Humanity to what life could be like if we were more 'conscious' of our lives.
Humanity is still in the dark ages.
Asleep,
and the Perrienial wisdom of the ages has been pointing the way,, but we just haven't listened yet.
Hopefully it isn't too late,, and very soon,,, and I mean very soon,, cause we so desparately need to do so,,
Finally WAKE UP!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

Originally posted by EarthCitizen23

Cheers

Yes I read it too ... did you know in this book Julian Jaynes called Jesus 'the first conscious man'?
edit on 24/5/12 by troubleshooter because: (no reason given)

Wow, that's awesome on so many levels. This is something that I actually closely concluded, more or less. That Jesus can be seen as the next step in evolution of consciousness.

Since we're on the topic, and people are seemingly very responsive to mentioning Julian Jaynes... I will take this moment to pimp my own thread a bit lol.

If you are AT ALL interested in such topics as consciousness/cognition, the following thread is right up your alley...

PROVING: 46 & 2, "The Next Major Human Advancement", The Awakening... I'm Almost There,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Those that are well versed on such topics, especially behavioral psychology, and over all cognitive sciences, PLEASE CONTRIBUTE... if not to that thread, to the thread linked in my signature:

I Need Some Answers, Sun, NMR, Gene Expression, Light, Behavioural Psychology, Circadian Rhythm, Etc
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I need some freakin help, opinions, or just more information... and nobody wants to play ball. ATS is surely letting me down on this one.... O well, maybe I just expected too much...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by anoncoholic

Mystery of water

I'm better off talking at my facet

transmissions end

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
My bilingual dutch friends tell me that they speak in Dutch, but think in English! How weird

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I think that brings up a curiosity of mine as well.. If we can think in images, why do we choose to think in language? Picture being worth a thousand words and all that

And, to answer your question if the implication wasnt clear; without language, Id propose they would probably just "think" with images.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Do you mean the brain?

The body. If you take a brain out of a body, I bet you it stops thinking.

An eye can't see without the body. A hand cannot grasp without the body.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Gilbert Gottfried is the voice of my thoughts.

There is no amount of medication in the world to ease the agony that I live every day.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
no one it's dead silent, like i'm...telepathic.

honestly though that's really the only relation I can give it, like my thoughts manifest from elusive waves.................

ok ill stop.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I think in English, speak in Spanish and act like an idiot, sometimes.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

When reading, it's sometimes in my head as the voice of Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs...

Seriously, things make way more sense in that guys voice, and I ain't joking.

Strange I know.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

How my brain works?In a twisted way

I speak Greek,i think in English,but my thoughts usually come with a video.I mean that when i think of something,in my head the scene is recreated over and over again,with all the possible outcomes,until i reach the one which is "right".

The voice of my inner debates,isn't always mine.Usually is Spock's voice(Leonard Nimoy's as Spock) and the reason is propably because i need his logic.You know:What would Spock do?

I hope i make sense.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Developmentally, inner dialogue begins between ages 6-9. If you've ever watched a young child reading, you know they can't "hear" themselves unless they literally make sounds.

Inner dialogue is simply a form of metacognition (thinking about your own thinking). It's very normal.

"Developmentally, inner dialogue begins between ages 6-9."

thats impossible to know because nobody knows what kids are thinking, and kids don't usually just tell you what they are thinking so clearly like that.

who in the world claimed to have this knowledge and made this famous quote?

its like some really overprotective know it all mom was like "i know my kid loves liver and onions because hes my snugglywoosh"

things like this are better unsaid really, since they are pure none sense.

please forgive me for my rant.

peace and have a nice day.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
What if someone never learned a language how would they talk to themselves? This is an interesting concept in how does a brain develop advance thought if it has no language to think the thought with?

yes!

you don't need words to understand yourself in your own mind.

just try it.

go in your head and think, walk over to the fridge.

what do you want?

hum to your self in your mind.

hmmm hmmm hmmhmhmhmhmhmhm = i want pudding.

you KNOW thats what you meant, and you will have no trouble understanding yourself.

animals probably do this alot to talk to each other, but im not sure.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The speaking mind is not you!!!!!
You are the one that can hear the noise of thought.

I used to wonder which one of those voices was the in charge, which one knew best. They all seemed really confused, they chattered continuously. Notice that one side is a bully and one side plays the victim, they annoy each other and conflict.
Just notice that you can watch the thoughts appear. Look right now at the place where your next thought appears from, watch closely and see where it appears.
The real you is the one that is looking, the silent one.
edit on 25-5-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join