It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest Supplement to be bad for you....according to ABC World news.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Another attempt at undermining the Supplemental vitamin industry recently portrayed by Dr. Besser of ABC World news in tonights news broadcast. At the end of his explanation just healthy cereal and eating was all that was needed to build up calcium in the bones

What kind of take do the media have with Big Pharma in coming out and undermining the Nutritional Supplement market? Why is it that the media are attacking everything the American people take as normal in this country? We don't need choices anymore, from light bulbs to medicine to Supplements and what you ea,t the Elite in this country are telling you how to live your life.. It's do as I say but not as I do time now in a country, that was once considered a free country. I wonder how many complete freedoms we've lost when we've compared with the Patriot Act and now Obama Care

Katie Mossie

Taking calcium supplements to build stronger bones may be bad for the heart, according to a new study that suggests getting similar doses from calcium-rich foods is a safer alternative.The study, which followed nearly 24,000 German men and women between the ages of 35 and 64, found those who regularly took calcium supplements were 86 percent more likely to have a heart attack than those who did not. Study subjects who relied completely on supplements for their daily calcium intake were 139 percent more likely to have a heart attack.

Supplements have been the topic of growing scrutiny, with a 2011 study linking the nutrient-packed pills to an increased risk of early death in older women.

edit on 24-5-2012 by 1loserel2 because: add

edit on 24-5-2012 by 1loserel2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-5-2012 by 1loserel2 because: typo

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Not trying to support the growing call for tighter restrictions on food (enough of that).

But they probably are right. I have, on average, a cholestrol count of like 280. I tried the statents, and they did bring me down to 180 very quickly, but i had the side effects of leg and muscle cramps, so I quit.

Last time I had a full check up (bout 1 or 2 years ago, probably need another) my cholestorl was still very high. But the doctor did an EKG and was surprised at how healthy my heart seemed. He asked if I drank alot of milk or took calcium, and I said that I hated milk and hadn't drank it since about 4 years old and rarely have ever taken calcium supplemants (did after some injuries but that's about it. Bout the only dairy is ice cream once a week or so (if that) and that I probably ate quite a bit of cheese. He then told me there were several studies and theories that the cholestoral binds to calcium to cause blockages, and if you didn't consume alot of calcium then the high cholestoral probably wasn't that big a deal, especially since I haven't ever smoked either.

Who knows.......

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

Sorry to hear that happened to you, glad to know you were able to rectify the matter. Bet you didn't need ABC world news to tell you what was wrong.

What gets me is not that so much, but they're in your face night after night in a seemngingly benign guise of telling you nearly everything you are used to doing is now bad for you, don't do it, it might kill you,

What I wonder is when they start attacking your actual in and out breathing which is a necessity, and tell you that this is now bsd for you. How will they suggest solving that problem?

I know simple solution is not to watch, but wouldn't you rather be forewarned?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The report I heard this morning on Cdn news, was not to stop taking calcium supplements if you're not good with dairy, but to take small doses throughout the day, instead of massive doses once or twice a day.

They did say to get calcium in food sources is the healthiest way, but too many people cannot tolerate dairy. Therefore just look for supplements that give small doses, and take more often.

They said the massive dose all at once floods our bloodstream with more than the body likes to handle at once, giving a heart disease risk.
edit on 24-5-2012 by snowspirit because: sp

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
big pharma and insurance companies are bad for you.

doctors are compartmentalized and very few practice preventative medicine, just pushing the latest expensive cure. btw statens are very bad for the brain, which is comprised of 75% cholesterol.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
You can get calcium from green leafy vegetables. Kale is particularly rich in it.
I can see how the supplements would be bad for your heart. Calcium is one of the minerals that helps regulate the electrical signals which cause the heart to beat. Too much , just like too little would be bad.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by 1loserel2

most of these science "reporters" are brain dead cut/paste hacks.

they always "experts" say this or that...they never explain the vested interests or follow the money trail.

most of them flunked grade school and were hired because of their spikey hair gelled blond hair..

all they do is read is an autocue and spout what ever BS.

i think they should be taken to court for misrepresentation and fraud.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Take magnesium with the calcium should help. You know calcium channel blockers for high blood pressure? Magnesium fits into the calcium channel without activating it. College anatomy teacher mentioned that, 1:1 ratio is what he said but don't take my word for it
Still, the amount of people taking calcium for osteoporosis who also have high blood pressure and hardly anyone mentions magnesium would be a good idea to include.
edit on 5/25/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I figured out that I'm dehydrated all the time, so I started drinking an electrolyte mixture that has no added sugar or sodium, and I feel soooooo much better. Also dropped water weight. Dehydration causes water retention. I don't get weak and lightheaded as much anymore, only when I don't drink enough. A lot of us just don't get enough electrolytes from our foods. Either we diet like me where food intake is too low, and bad diets of processed and fast foods.
Also, began taking care of my liver with natural supplements and diet. The liver is the fat burner, and a stagnant liver cannot rid the body of excess cholesterol, toxins, hormones, etc. a real eye opener. The Chinese were right about the liver, I'll give them that.

I recently sent letters to my congressmen to stop the attack on supplements.
Supplements also saved my dog's life.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
I figured out that I'm dehydrated all the time, so I started drinking an electrolyte mixture that has no added sugar or sodium, and I feel soooooo much better. Also dropped water weight. Dehydration causes water retention. I don't get weak and lightheaded as much anymore, only when I don't drink enough. A lot of us just don't get enough electrolytes from our foods. Either we diet like me where food intake is too low, and bad diets of processed and fast foods.
Also, began taking care of my liver with natural supplements and diet. The liver is the fat burner, and a stagnant liver cannot rid the body of excess cholesterol, toxins, hormones, etc. a real eye opener. The Chinese were right about the liver, I'll give them that.

I recently sent letters to my congressmen to stop the attack on supplements.
Supplements also saved my dog's life.

a new drink that hit the market looks promising for electrolytes, called Body Armor i believe. 620mg of potassium per 16oz plus several antioxidants, no added sugars or preservatives and it's caffeine free. (no sales rep) just found them to be enjoyable and good for you is all.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
you get that your supplement is made from stearic acid/magnesium stearate... something that clogs your insides...just so their machines can make the pills better and easier.
so yea, the supplement is bad.
just drink milk, cottage cheese or fish to get your calcium.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
big pharma and insurance companies are bad for you.

doctors are compartmentalized and very few practice preventative medicine, just pushing the latest expensive cure. btw statens are very bad for the brain, which is comprised of 75% cholesterol.

They also up the risk for Breast Cancer 7 fold

top topics

join