It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY wants to ban anonymous online speech.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

NY wants to ban anonymous online speech.

techland.time.com

Watching faceless online passerby troll bloggers or mock fellow scribblers can be a drag, but what if legislators’ answer to online ne’er-do-wells was to ban anonymous comments from websites entirely? That’s what the state of New York is planning to do in identical bills — S.6779 and A.8688 – proposed by the New York State Assembly that would “amend the civil rights law” in order to “[protect] a person’s right to know who is behind an anonymous internet posting.”

Read more: techl...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is my first topic on here and i'm sorry if this has already been posted, I took a quick look around but did not see anything like it, feel free to close this if its been done before

I think this is absolutely rediculous. Free speech, wether in rl or online is a basic human right! Blizzard tried to do this a year or so ago with the World of Warcraft forums and there was an immediate backlash against them for it, chaulk full of examples of how this sort of thing could have immediate consequences for people who are posting.

What do you folks think? Would you ever post a single word online knowing that your full name, ip and home address is out there?

techland.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I don't think it makes very much difference anywhere, to anyone.

How are they going to monitor such idiocy and why are they restricting citizens of their own state when one might drive down the road and accross a state 'border' to post from grandma's house?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
it's not like having your name and face holds you instantly you accountable anyways. facebook is proof, some people still troll even as themselves, but are still literally anonymous due to how many people there are in general.

hiding in plain sight

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Armadall

Whatever happened to the idea of an unregulated internet? Is that gone now?

Maybe it's time to buckle down on public officials. These people were voted in to speak for us, so no secrecy. Every minute of a politician's term should be filmed and recorded, and broadcast live. The only privacy should be in the bathroom and bedroom, but with the strict restriction of no communication devices. They are, after all, public servants. Same goes with every other aspect of government. It's time to stop fooling around.

edit on 5/24/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I certainly do agree with the both of you, however if this does pass in NY it could have broader implications for the rest of the US. Sadly, here in Canada our idiotic Prime Minister wants to attempt this as well

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Garfee

How are they going to monitor such idiocy and why are they restricting citizens of their own state when one might drive down the road and accross a state 'border' to post from grandma's house?

It makes a difference on the level of people being watched more and more by the government, instead of the government being watched by the people. Did 'We the People' come up with this idea, or did the government? If not us, then it can't happen (well, it shouldn't).

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I agree with you 100%. Our elected officials should be monitored constantly and kept in the public eye at all times, there should be 100% transperancy and accountability.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Armadall

What do you folks think? Would you ever post a single word online knowing that your full name, ip and home address is out there?

No.
I have an unlisted and unpublished phone number for a reason.
To force people to have their addresses out there with our full names, goes against Canada's privacy laws.

Plus, there are still places that only have post office box numbers, and a land location and gps location. I've already had to deal with businesses that don't accept that some of us, still don't have actual addresses.

edit on 24-5-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

It makes a difference on the level of people being watched more and more by the government, instead of the government being watched by the people. Did 'We the People' come up with this idea, or did the government? If not us, then it can't happen (well, it shouldn't).

I'll concede that it it may matter to the people of one state, in one country but how will authorities monitor and police it?

I agree that these things are getting out of control and I am amazed that politicians in a country where asassinations and attempts are well documented - I would have thought they would be less likely to go against what the people want but there you go. I guess they will learn.

It should be asked of the government - if this is what they are focusing on, they must have solved all the real problems being faced. Too much of the people's bloody money in their pockets.

I'm desperately looking forward to the day this world takes it's freedom back - not for the loss of life which will likely occur, but the re-balancing.

edit on 24-5-2012 by Garfee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
it's not like having your name and face holds you instantly you accountable anyways. facebook is proof, some people still troll even as themselves, but are still literally anonymous due to how many people there are in general.

hiding in plain sight

Doesn't matter if you're anonymous if you're going to troll really, its a type of humor. As someone who used to do it, alot, I always read the thread thinking it wasn't fun enough thus I derailed the thread with my charm.

Though anonymous speech is a must, think of the poor queer teenagers trying to open up for example. There are many reasons to use an alias, i'm sure people of NY could think of plenty eating their tasty looking pizzas.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

People have a right to know who is behind an anonymous posting? o.0
This needs to be protected?
What people's right to free speech that is protected by anonymous postings?
What does this mean for websites like ATS?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Double Post
My wi-fi keeps fluctuating...
edit on 24-5-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

in order to “[protect] a person’s right to know who is behind an anonymous internet posting.

There is no such right.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I guess this is what the ultra orthodox jewish meeting was about at mets stadium.... Not the least bit shocked, it was only a matter of time for those in power to crackdown on our internet freedom as well.....

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that these new bills and laws, much like the Patriot Act and the Freedom of Information Act are not to protect ANYONE but to just get away with the unconstitutional violation of our rights. The government, in order to use the information that they've already gathered, has to have bills to put the "key in the lock" and put away the dissidents who stand in the way of the political opportunists who gain personal wealth and power at every turn. Simply put - each time they shred the Constitution or Bill of Rights just a little, each rip should be looked at as a new gaping doorway for politicians and lobbyists to usher in a whole new wave of misappropriations and robbery of the people, and exploit the power "given" to them.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Hey man

They will just take notes for now, and then exploit people when # pops off. They're doing it to celebrities and loud moffas right now.
When they get " permission" they will step up the "interrogations.
SOVIET STYLE

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
What about support groups for rape survivors?

Anonymous speech has SO many vital applications.

And, yes. Anonymous dissidence comes with the territory.

It is the internet. Where there is a will, there is a way. It always has been and always will be. No one is accusing the state of New York for trolling...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Ban free speech? That's just unamerican. Hope we find our moral compass before it's too late.

Awesome thread, good info. ^.^

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Seems like every time I visit ATS, I end up reading a post that makes me think of the line "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". (not that I believe in hell, per se, it's just a figure of speech).

I see that people often use the 'anonymous' posting in order to act like jerks. But I frequently use it just because I do not like for my real name to be put out on every thing I choose to comment on. I think the internet as we know it is changing, and we have to adapt and find ways to preserve our right to remain anonymous. I like this site for that reason, because you can link an article or whatever, and then discuss it here. No need to even use comment sections or forums for the source website.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join