It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the First Time, Number of Unemployed Who Attended College Outnumber Those Who Didn’t

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
www.allgov.com...< br />

Parents may have a tougher time winning the argument with their children about the importance of attending college if their offspring hear the latest news from the U.S. Department of Labor.

As of April, the number of unemployed people (age 25 and older) who went to college was greater than the total of jobless workers with only a high school education. This is the first time in U.S. history that college-educated individuals have outnumbered those who never continued their formal education after high school.

In terms of total numbers, 4.7 million unemployed had gone to college or graduated while 4.3 million had skipped higher education altogether.

Jed Graham at Investor’s Business Daily noted that a greater share of the U.S. population today has attended college compared to 20 years ago during the recession of the early 1990s. This in part explains why, among the jobless, the college-educated are outnumbering others who stopped at high school.

As of last year, 57% of those 25 and up had attended some college. In 1992, the rate was only 43%. Meanwhile, “those without a high school diploma fell from 21% to 12% over that span,” wrote Graham.

Another factor is that more and more students who start college are forced to drop out because they cannot afford to continue. Of this group, 36% have been unable to find full-time employment.

We are a nation of over educated and under skilled workers.

I could see this coming 15 years ago when I thought many college bound would be better off in trade schools, especially construction. I may still be right in the long run.

As college enrollment drops and the colleges do not cut expenses accordingly expect tuition to rise and feed a vicious cycle.

Before too long Chinese students will dominate our colleges.
edit on 24-5-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Your colleges will collapse. The United States is doomed. Everything will continue to decline. Australia is where Asias future is. Australia will be where the best Asian students study. We already have many Asians using our universities. Its a good thing. The new power is in the East. Australia is positioned perfectly geographically to emerge as the premiere OECD Nation. We are already the happiest. We have a strong economy. The future is bright for Australia. The United States is in the wrong part of the world. The future is in the East. Your Colleges will fade into the background as your economy continues to decline.

edit on 24-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Nice, I was wondering the same thing. to many people going to college and not getting hands on.

I dropped out to start working, Im now 26 years old, have owned a house now for 3-1/2 years. lost my job and was unemployeed for only a month before i found a new one. How did i get that job you ask???? I have real life job skills learned from working all my life. I was hired for a skill not for a "college degree"
edit on 24-5-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What, do you think that these college graduates are going to sit around forever and not find jobs that go with their education background?

People will find jobs, and as the world gets smaller and the need for an educated work force becomes a necessity in developing countries, these people will just outsource their intelligence. As well, as starting new business ventures in the US. This is not doom and gloom, this is great news for our future.

I'd rather have an unemployed intelligent work force, than an ignorant collective of people that don't understand anything. Their efforts will be rewarded.

I predict a moment in time, when people stop being so damn extroverted... they complement one another, and there is always an uneven balance between the two paradigms. People talk about paradigm shift and such all the time. Well, what will accompany such a shift, is an attitude and means of addressing their employment.

Too many people sit around and wait for some corporation to supply jobs. This is going to change, for many reasons. The most obvious of which are the revelations of the failures of corporations. As well as the increase in understanding that the power and success of an individual comes down to the individual themselves, not some corporation.

It's all good, just a sign of the times. The times of a transition in paradigm.

new topics

top topics

join