It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jury strikes a blow against software patents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Jury strikes a blow against software patents

www.zdnet.com

Earlier today, a California jury cleared Google of all claims of patent infringement brought by Oracle. The trial, which had been in its 23rd day, concluded with a unanimous decision that Android did not infringe on six claims in U.S. Patent RE38,104 as well as two claims in U.S. Patent number 6,061,520. In the space of two weeks, Oracle’s visions (some would say hallucinations) of up to $6 billion in damages have gone up in smoke.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well.. it appears that the lawyers playing field of patent litigation has become less like the wild wild west.

Whenever I hear people wondering about the obscene profits these companies waste to chase each other on matters of ancient lines of software code, I can;t help but wonder... how is it that this is not heralded as the reason for exorbitant prices and fees the same way the medical community succeeded in diminishing their potential liability for medical 'law suits.'

Linux creator Linus Torvalds called the suit “idiotic” but predicted Oracle would “come out posturing and talk about how they’ll be vindicated, and pay lawyers to take it to the next level of idiocy.” The good news, though, is that this ruling has removed one of the darkest clouds hanging over Google and Android. Oracle can appeal, but their prospects don’t look good.

Indeed they don't. Perhaps this game of patent law profiteering is finally tumbling to a halt? We'll see.

There is still an unsettled copyright question, but even in the unfortunate event that the judge ruled against Google on that part, we’re only talking about 9 lines of code out of millions. Lines which were immediately removed from the Android source when somebody pointed them out.

I find it refreshing that in this trial, both the Judge and jury proved to be much smarter than the lawyers.

www.zdnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24-5-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Excellent read Max, thank you!

Yes, one can only hope those days will soon come to a close. Especially since Google was responsible enough to say "ooops we screwed up, lets fix this" on the copyright portion, which frankly should be enough.

I, at times, can't help but to wonder if we live in a society (globally, not simply US based) whereby its become criminal to make simple human error. I can understand litigation on intentional error.
edit on 24-5-2012 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

new topics

join