It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is your brand of religion the right one?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Simple question to all you good folk who are religious...why is your religion right and every other religion wrong? or do you even care about people who follow another religion?
What made you decide to follow your Religion? was you made to follow it by your parents or did you come to find it another way?

Just wondering, cheers

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This subject does make me giggle.

Chritians are taught there is no God apart from their God.

And vise versa with the Muslims.

If that's the case one of them is surely going to hell lol.

Of course all of us of sound mind know that neither of these Gods are the correct one lol.
edit on 24-5-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Most of us are in the religions we're in solely because we were born in our family who were of a certain religion.

I always ask my friends this question too, why do you think your religion is right and they have no valid point.

So I always come to the "you were born into it" reasoning!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Me personally I don't care what religion someone is,

But ever since we are kids and if your parents go to church, some of us was made to go. Brainwashed as kids, start em young huh? lol

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Very interesting thread, I'm very curious to hear most answers here. So much, that I want to share my tale as well.

I believe what a few people are saying, they were born into it. That's really what starts it initially. From there, the rest is up to the individual. What I find funny, is not many people seem to change those beliefs throughout their lives. So then I wonder, why is that? Is it because it's just easier for them to keep believing what they've been told at a young age? Or that they've just never had the experiences that caused them to question those beliefs?

I consider myself lucky. My parents were divorced very shortly after I was born, so for 13 years, I was passed back and forth between parents(live with mother, visitations with father). My mother was Catholic, and at one point in his life, my dad became a born again christian(don't know exact denomination). So as a child, my dad would read to my sister and I bible verses/stories. I remember asking him questions as a child, that he had the worst answers for. Even as a child it didn't seem right. He always talked about how God created this, and that. So I asked him, who created God? Because everything has to have a beginning. He would always just tell me "Nobody created him, he just always was."

But what really sealed the deal for me, was seeing both religions pretty much believing similar things, but both sides telling me the other is wrong. Being raised Catholic, but having my dad tell me what I was being taught was wrong. It got me thinking......how can people believe the same thing, but still be wrong? It just didn't make any sense.

The other factors in play here, are in regards to everything I've ever experienced in life regarding paranormal/supernatural phenomena, I was told is wrong, and not true. But yet I've experienced, I've seen, I know it's real. I've had OBE's as early as 5 years old, I remember it fully well, but told that stuff never happens. I've seen an alien being in my room, but told that can never happen. I've lived near many haunted spots, seen many ghosts, but have been told no. Yet, I'm told to believe in this imaginary guy in the sky, that sees everything, gives you rules to live by, and if you don't, he'll send you to a fiery pit for all of eternity. But he loves you.
Add all of this, on top of my interest in ancient religions(Greek Mythology started this), and it got my brain thinking. The Greeks really believed this stuff in ancient days. So, how is this wrong, when christianity is "real"? It just didn't make any sense to me.

So, my brain has been thinking about this stuff as early as 4 years old, and has never stopped. I consider myself spiritual, but not religious. I don't really think any of the religions are the "right one", but I believe them all to have truths in them. You just have to look at them all, and "read between the lines".

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Simple question to all you good folk who are religious...why is your religion right and every other religion wrong? or do you even care about people who follow another religion?
What made you decide to follow your Religion? was you made to follow it by your parents or did you come to find it another way?

Just wondering, cheers

I am of no religon and of all religon. I seek and find evidence of the thing behind all religons and see devine spiritual knowledge from very different sources. Why look at one view when the views together make more sense than appart. Why listen to only without when you find the most thruths within. I am past the duality viewpoint on the devine and know that I will not be 100% right and it does not matter that I am not correct.

Maybe a little Shakespears Sister is appropiate here.
Shakespears Sister - Hello (Turn Your Radio On)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Simple question to all you good folk who are religious...

What about us anti-religious Christ followers, can we participate here as well?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
No religion is wrong in the bigger picture. As Father created each man to have his own characteristics, man will take to different teachings (religions/denominations). Each person has their own way to Father. The details is what everyone differs on. But, Father recognizes the heart, and this is what will ultimately decide what happens next to you.

But, Jesus does sit at the right hand of Father.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
No religion is wrong in the bigger picture. As Father created each man to have his own characteristics, man will take to different teachings (religions/denominations). Each person has their own way to Father. The details is what everyone differs on. But, Father recognizes the heart, and this is what will ultimately decide what happens next to you.

So in your opinion Jesus was lying when He declared He was the only Way? And that "no man" could come to the Father unless via Him?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

So in your opinion Jesus was lying when He declared He was the only Way? And that "no man" could come to the Father unless via Him?

This will get tricky. He was not lying. Many of the other religious people recognize Jesus via their heart. The how and etc can not be explained unless you were on the other side so to speak.

As long as the spirit proclaims this, and depends on God, said person is a believer. Even if the human side takes a while to come to terms with it.
edit on 24-5-2012 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

This will get tricky. He was not lying. Many of the other religious people recognize Jesus via their heart. The how and etc can not be explained unless you were on the other side so to speak.

As long as the spirit proclaims this, and depends on God, said person is a believer. Even if the human side takes a while to come to terms with it.

They recognize a version of Jesus they themselves invented, in my neck of the woods that's idolatry. If you remember the Passover lamb the people had to eat the entire lamb, not just the parts they enjoyed.

edit on 24-5-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

No, the spirit will know of the true Jesus. Again, the inner workings of this is hard to explain in terms in which you would understand. In the end, upon his return, the one that comes with him, will explain this for all to know.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

No, the spirit will know of the true Jesus. Again, the inner workings of this is hard to explain in terms in which you would understand. In the end, upon his return, the one that comes with him, will explain this for all to know.

I'll tell you what I do understand, that's Greek. And Christ was singular and specific when He said He was "THE" Way. (Personal pronoun "hu" in the Greek), it signifies one different from all others, specific and set apart. So, He never said He was a Way, He said "I AM the Way..". Anything that denies Christ or invents their own version of Him is a false religion or false worship practice. That would be a "thief" who entered the sheepfold with an illegitimate access. He'll tell those folks one day:

"Depart from Me, I never knew (ginosko) you,.."

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

No one is denying as you say. Man can only speak to Father via way of Jesus. There are others on this Earth who can speak to him directly. But, many can be believers by way of my explanation above. When man prays, his prayer is heard by Jesus and then it is given to Father. This is what he meant when he said that.

Mans human side may not think it is going to Jesus but God in their eye. But, Jesus is the one who is grabbing it.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Hello, OP, I will check in here and give my assessment on your question.

why is your religion right and every other religion wrong?

Let's first look at how "religion" is defined.
re·li·gion [ri-lij-uhn]
noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
dictionary.reference.com...

First of all, my "religion" if one could call it that, is my own. No other human being is like me in that respect, as it should be. I do not have "religious beliefs," for these tend to be written down in a book, and cannot change, even if and when glaring evidence to the contrary is presented. I call myself a Wiccan, but only because that is what best fits and describes the life I live, and the ways I think. I can easily see the Divine as a reflection of Earth, "As Above, So Below" is an abridged version of the longer expression, "That which is above is like to that which is below, and that which is below is like to that which is above." The Corpus Hermeticum of Hermes Trismegistus began with these words. I see the Divine as a Duality, part Male, part Female, the Christian all male club never appealed to me. I see that which is called "Jesus" as an alien/human hybrid sent here to teach, and to correct mistakes make by those who created us. I believe that our carbon based, human bodies were in fact created by what we would call Reptilians, in popular lore, I did a thread exploring that theory awhile ago. Link to Post
That which the Human Spirit is, is another matter altogether. As yet, I cannot fully define it, but I do find it to be of a Divine Origin.

I do not now, nor have I ever been under the belief that my "religion" is above any other, or that mine is right, and the others wrong. To each his own. I am of the strong opinion that the popular "book religions" were wholly created for the purpose of Control. The purpose is to teach that humans are all "fallen," and unworthy of knowing the true Divine, and are taught that a Man is their God. This draws energy away from the True Divine Source. I have made it my mission to expose these for what they are, and let the cards fall where they may.

A religion should be a personal belief system, incorporating ideas rather than set in stone tenets and dogma. An open mind works much better than a closed mind, after all the mind is a lot like a parachute in the respect. Earth is a School/College for Divine Spirits who will one day become Gods and Goddesses in their own right. Creators of Universes.

"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?"

If it is written in your Law, why do you continue to deny it?

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Yes lies lies lies if he ever said it or his true message has been corrupted. The line is of ego and there is much duality in it. It is more like what an unelightened devil that wants divide and conqurer would say. When a person is one with god he is one with god not matter what way he become one with god.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I don't have any strong religious beliefs right now, but I have an opinion about your question:

Christianity is so silly that I would never have been a believer if I wasn't brainwashed from childhood. I continue to be interested in Christianity simply because it is familiar due to that childhood brainwashing.

I suspect that any religion can improve people if they have faith in that religion. So if I was a devout Christian or a devout Hindu I would eventually begin to be a better citizen and might even experience some feeling of knowing God. Naturally I would be convinced that my religion is right. Unfortunately I might feel so certain about my religion that I would be willing to persecute and kill people to safeguard my religion.

Evolution favours religions that are militant and intolerant just as it favours animals that have fangs and claws.
edit on 25-5-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-5-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

edit on 24-5-2012 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

To accept the holy spirit means accepting all egoless nondual enlightened beings and if Jesus is one of them then by accepting god your are accepting Jesus but also Buddha and all others soul that have reached that enlightment and all that will reach that enlightment when they are ready. Jesus is sometimes seen as the christ conciousness (the holy spritit). In this case it is true. You will recive the holy spirit when you are one with god but this can be done thru other faiths/views also. It is what you are that is important in your heart/soul and your actions. Not your faith. Some people do not need faith to be perfect in gods eyes and will do it no matter the reward they might get.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I'll tell you what I do understand, that's Greek. And Christ was singular and specific when He said He was "THE" Way. (Personal pronoun "hu" in the Greek), it signifies one different from all others, specific and set apart. So, He never said He was a Way, He said "I AM the Way..". Anything that denies Christ or invents their own version of Him is a false religion or false worship practice. That would be a "thief" who entered the sheepfold with an illegitimate access. He'll tell those folks one day:

"Depart from Me, I never knew (ginosko) you,.."

Who cares about what religon say and what human belives. See the world around you and realise that humanity as a whole is far from god. What is real is the important thing and not what people belive is real. Search for the reality behind religon and question everything becasue then you get the answer from the source and not from man and in it's pure form. Seek and you shall find is the only line needed to find god and wisdom.

If Christianety as a religon was createing devine humans then you would have created heaven or a very harmounious society already since you had 2000 years to evolve and did not make it. Face it there are flaws in Christian teaching and that is why you are not all reciving the holy spirit while living. The fundamentalistic approach of not changing when seeing new thruths show that your view as a whole will never be correct but parts will be very true.

"Depart from Me, I never knew (ginosko) you" is for the followers who say they follow but only do it in name but not in action and what they are.

Humans create religion and worship practice not god. God do not demand those things religous people do. Who do you think god have an easier time relating to. A person in church listeing to a priest with no feelings at all or the man walking in nature feeling harmonious and one with it and watching the creation with lovestung eyes of the beauty of the living animals and laughting childlike when he sees what they do. The most holy place is where a holy soul connected to god thur the spirit are and not in a church.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Hi everybody,I'm a new here and I would also like to share my religious beliefs here.
To me religion or spirituality means a lifestyle and of course a way of thinking, that makes me feel in harmony with everything, and by everything I mean people,nature,higher being - God if you wish.So to me the most important thing is enlightenment,to understand myself and my surrounding - other peoples,to observe nature and most importantly to put all this thoughts,insights into practice.This belief of mine resembles Buddhism which puts great emphasis on meditation,achieving enlightenment and as a final "goal" freeing the one's mind/soul from the rules of the karma.
Another important part of my belief is technology.My reasoning here is that we must become all that we can,by exploring, learning and cultivating our soul because in my mind there is no difference between this branch of science and that branch of science,it all connects to each other, and the whole picture of our understanding could lead global enlightenment by time, surely not over one night.
So this would be my belief system in a nutshell,maybe if I will have more time I consider writing some essay to publish it on the net for everybody to read and contemplate.

top topics

join