It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

RIAA Says LimeWire Owes it $72 Trillion

page: 3
27
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Can we start blaming Lars Ulrich again?




posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
That's like, all the wealth in the world!


The majority of the people that shared files would never have bought them in the first place, they only grabbed them because they were free. So they lost nothing! Greedy buggers!



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Trolol is what they are saying. If not, they are bat crap crazy.



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I'm wondering if the RIAA's lawyers are from the same law firms who advised the underwriters on pricing their IPOs recently (or even back around 1999) ???



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
In my humble opinion, bubble-gum/cookie cutter/tasteless crap music is what lost the record labels billions. Getting as far away from actual melody, the use of real instruments, the classic "starving artist" style, being about real music and not the money that making music makes, the list could go on forever. Blame hip-hop, blame wannabees.

I know, blame the record labels for putting out crap that nobody in their right mind would pay 20-25 hard earned bucks for. I would love to see every "artist" go entirely broke, lose all of their crap. Whoever was still playing music in some bar two or so years afterward has earned the right to be called a "musician".

It's crap like this that makes me put aside my passive nature and long for the day that every corporate executive and their team of attorneys are dragged out in the street and shot by the people they've bilked for the better part of a century now.




posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
How about both companies RIAA and Limewire pays the american people 72 trillion. Nobody should have that kind of money without it being stolen from our government. I would support the theft also. No reason for companies to prosper and have more money than we have in debt. RIAA is a bunch of retards obviously.



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
The music industry is insane.

The gatekeeper model is dead. More and more we are seeing initiatives that are cutting out these money bleeders from the equation.

Websites like Kickstarter.com, which is providing a source of crowd funded content, much like ATS is crowd sourced content, and are changing the way that developpers, artists, musicians and a whole host of other industries receive funding for their projects.

Times are a changing, and companies will no longer be able to gouge us for content, when that content is NOT worth what they are selling it as.

Take music for example, you can't tell me a new CD is worht 25$ in store when I can pick up a digital copy for 13.99 on Itunes. What's the difference between the two copies? It's not like the digital copy cannot be hardcopied via CD's etc.

So these people really need to understand that content delivery systems have changed, people can no longer afford the gate keeper model and these people are NOT entitled to this money.

~Tenth


That is a fair comment. Consider though that the consumer has the ability to make a choice as to wether to buy online or with the shop bought pressed cd and artwork.

Production costs and associated costs and the ablity to make a profit factor in to the sale price.

I think people who expect free music are freeloaders. The industry wont get the 70 trillion they seek, but hopefully it brings a message that will help stamp out piracy.
edit on 24-5-2012 by magma because: spelling



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive
 


Right I know its crazy. If any company has trillions of dollars...what are we waiting for? Sitting here in debt while our people starve. I would take all their money, don't like it? Leave my country.



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by magma
 





I think people who expect free music are freeloaders. The industry wont get the 70 trillion they seek, but hopefully it brings a message that will help stamp out piracy.


Lmao, keep dreamin bro.



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
dbl post

edit on 24-5-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
The music industry is insane.

The gatekeeper model is dead. More and more we are seeing initiatives that are cutting out these money bleeders from the equation.

Websites like Kickstarter.com, which is providing a source of crowd funded content, much like ATS is crowd sourced content, and are changing the way that developpers, artists, musicians and a whole host of other industries receive funding for their projects.

Times are a changing, and companies will no longer be able to gouge us for content, when that content is NOT worth what they are selling it as.

Take music for example, you can't tell me a new CD is worht 25$ in store when I can pick up a digital copy for 13.99 on Itunes. What's the difference between the two copies? It's not like the digital copy cannot be hardcopied via CD's etc.

So these people really need to understand that content delivery systems have changed, people can no longer afford the gate keeper model and these people are NOT entitled to this money.

~Tenth


They make a bigger profit this way...

Like I all ways say, people that download would not have bought the music, movie, game program ect... in the first place so they are not losing money they are gaining awareness, free advertizement. Witch is why the total comes out to 72 trillion and that is only for the company's that filed the law suit. Most people do not realize the actual artist only makes around 10 cents off of each album they sell the rest goes to the record company's. Only a very small percentage of your money supports the artist. CD is plastic and paper, very cheap especialy when bought in bulk. They are making a killing.



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobaganoosh
In my humble opinion, bubble-gum/cookie cutter/tasteless crap music is what lost the record labels billions. Getting as far away from actual melody, the use of real instruments, the classic "starving artist" style, being about real music and not the money that making music makes, the list could go on forever. Blame hip-hop, blame wannabees.

I know, blame the record labels for putting out crap that nobody in their right mind would pay 20-25 hard earned bucks for. I would love to see every "artist" go entirely broke, lose all of their crap. Whoever was still playing music in some bar two or so years afterward has earned the right to be called a "musician".

It's crap like this that makes me put aside my passive nature and long for the day that every corporate executive and their team of attorneys are dragged out in the street and shot by the people they've bilked for the better part of a century now.



Are you trying to say that only mainstream (money artist) lose money? Far from the truth, if any thing they get the most. Mainstream artist are rich, this is not about them.



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Why don't they sue all the radio stations too?



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
For the people trying to equate modern day file sharing an ripping a song on their sweet tape, consider this. How many songs could you get on a tape? Maybe like 2 hrs worth if you get a nice one i guess.

Terabyte hard drives can hold, what, a couple hundred thousand songs? Fast downloading speed and you can rip many many songs.

Point is, it's not analogous.



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB
 


They said Home taping and VCRs were killing music/movies, the same exact argument then as it is now. Movies and music are still around, are they not? Corporate lobbies actually wanted to outlaw VCRS.



en.wikipedia.org...



Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984),[1] also known as the "Betamax case", is a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States which ruled that the making of individual copies of complete television shows for purposes of time shifting does not constitute copyright infringement, but is fair use. The Court also ruled that the manufacturers of home video recording devices, such as Betamax or other VCRs (referred to as VTRs in the case), cannot be liable for infringement. The case was a boon to the home video market as it created a legal safe haven for the technology, which also significantly benefited the entertainment industry through the sale of pre-recorded movies.


en.wikipedia.org...

.



edit on 24-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars
 


Limewire and even Frostwire have never been the same since this all began 4-5 years ago. I stopped using it because every song was bogus.

So then how does this affect other P2P programs such as Vuze or the many other ones out there?

The do not host the pirated media but their software allows users to download it. It's the same type of software as Limewire.



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke
 


That video makes me laugh to tears everytime I see it!!!

That is the corniest thing I have ever seen!



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
First, I say good luck getting $72 billion in this market.

Second, being hypothetical, if they did get that $72 billion, I bet the record label companies would keep it all for themselves. They're use to jamming it to the artists.



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by KnightFire
First, I say good luck getting $72 billion in this market.

Second, being hypothetical, if they did get that $72 billion, I bet the record label companies would keep it all for themselves. They're use to jamming it to the artists.



Look again, they said TRILLION.....it's just not possible



posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Why don't they sue all the radio stations too?


Because the artist gets paid with royalties paid by the radio station.

Every time a song is played a percentage goes to the artist.

Everytime

Royalties



edit on 24-5-2012 by magma because: (no reason given)




top topics



 
27
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

log in

join