It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anyone Here Support Romney As the Republican Nominee?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This is not a place for judgment or flaming. I want everyone to feel comfortable if they answer the question in the affirmative.

I'm not asking to sway anyone- it's just a matter of curiosity. I tried asking this on Facebook in an attempt to understand the more mainstream crowd and even then no one answered that they actually favored him.

Honestly, I have not talked to one single individual in real life who supports Romney. So where is all this support coming from? Why is he always talked about as the default/assumed nominee. Where does his support come from in the polls?

Is there anyone here who strongly supports him?

I'm not going to bash the man. It just seems strange how he is apparently leading the nomination when I hardly hear from anyone who is excited about him. Most people truly want Paul and some were even into Gingrich. lol But no one I have met has been gungho about Romney. So what gives?

Is there anyone out there? Again, this is not an attempt at a debate. It's just genuine curiosity.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I think the only people that support him is the MSM. Its the new McCain.
edit on 24-5-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
good question. i don't support him and like you i do not know anyone in my circles or in real life in general who does but i do know "who" his supporters are.. it's the 1%'ers, the ubber rich, the old money cats and it's a scary thought that this guy has got as far as he actually is at the moment. a quick off topic remark.. i think it's funny to imagine romney at home with his family and how it'd be to be a fly on the wall there haha this guy is so incredibly fake it's unnerving to me.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Some more information. When I asked on Facebook, the answers boiled down to:

1). At least he's not Obama.
2). He's the lesser of two evils.

Which didn't really answer my question. lol It was like they were already resigned to the fact he would be the nominee. How sad that voting for him would be due to such lackadaisical reasons.

What I was trying to ask does anyone want him as the nominee. Obviously none of them were excited about him due to their FB replies. But even they assumed he already would be the nominee.

So how is he getting so far? I hope nobody is scared to offer their support for him in this thread. It is not meant to attack or belittle anyone.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I believe this:

It was like they were already resigned to the fact he would be the nominee.

Is the answer to this:

So how is he getting so far? I hope nobody is scared to offer their support for him in this thread. It is not meant to attack or belittle anyone.

You may not subscribe to the same view, but I strongly believe that in the US, the media is more-or-less easily able to effectively craft reality and perception - and they have been selling Romney as the unconquerable presumptive nominee pretty much since the beginning, and the whole party since has been (allegedly) all about finding a non-Romney to unseat him.

And, since this is a conspiracy website - I believe some of Romney's associated businesses have quite a lot of control over a good bit of the media, as well...and it would also do to look into how well he squares with the views of the Council on Foreign Relations and various related groups, given their extensive upper-tier membership and stations in society.

Also, he's also got the support of the party itself - the people in it who don't care for him be damned, apparently - as he fits wonderfully with the existing neoconservative strain.

As far as I can tell - he is pure establishment candidate. He doesn't HAVE to have real-world or grassroots support. I can imagine that some of my family, sadly, might be behind him, but that's likely only due to the fact that they are died-in-the-wool republicans and would support WHOEVER is put up against Obama...and as we've been told from the start, that's Romney.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

You definitely make an excellent point about the MSM being masters of perception-creation. It's like if they craft one as the front-runner, it's already been decided.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
In 2008 I was routing for Romney to get the nomination... Instead we got the dud.

This time yeah I'm supporting him I don't think there's a massive conspiracy a foot... well I do, but I think the current administration has the agenda...

anyways.. I plan on voting for him...

I refuse to vote for Ron Paul

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by Praetorius

You definitely make an excellent point about the MSM being masters of perception-creation. It's like if they craft one as the front-runner, it's already been decided.

That's what it seems to boil down to, I believe. It fits fairly well with what Goebbels said about lies becoming truth, and I may well be overly paranoid, but I see signs of it throughout national media on a pretty regular basis.

I won't delve much into it here, but even if it was officially taken off the table I have no real doubt that Operation Mockingbird or something akin to it does continue to this day, be it official or by rogue elements working to secure win-win scenarios.

My loyalties should be obvious, and might slant my view here - but I found the media handling of the run-up to and the primary race itself telling; Romney sold as inevitable, the various challengers eventually surging on a wave of free media and tacit support, one after another as they fell due to their own missteps and skeletons...while it seems Paul never got the same push from the media (as Pew and others verified and pointed out frequently) - with him, it seemed to be a constant sweeping under the rug if there wasn't anything negative they could come out with, despite him having long outpolled these others consistently from the start...until their media-induced surges.

To varying degrees, the other candidates - despite being sold as non-Romneys - had no substantial disagreement with him on the weightiest fundamental issues, blathering otherwise aside; they had effectively the same policies and ideas which the establishment has grown fond of over recent decades. No challenge on monetary policy, no challenge on foreign policy, claiming to want cuts but presenting larger budgets, pimping states' rights but approving the heavy hand of government in most matters...and on and on.

It seemed very bad theater, to me. Very frustrating.

Take care.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DrNotforhire

Thanks for coming forward and stating your opinion.

I'd personally like to see an ATS poll like we used to do.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

well I appreciate it! Yeah I would like to see a poll too... As the election gets closer, I'm pretty confident in my candidate I'm starting to ignore a lot of the main stream media and honestly, it kind of puts DIFFERENT types of blinders on you... There's def. a balance that needs to be had... I just can't stand the news right now..

But if there was another candidate that could win, I'd probably look at that one too (just browsing) status...

I'm really in the whole "no more obama 2012" boat

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
You ask if anyone "supports" Romney. Are you really asking if anyone is "excited" about Romney? Or are you asking if anyone will vote for Romney? I don't get excited about political figures, it gets in the way of analysis for me.

I will vote for Romney. Polls indicate that at present most Americans would too. (Or at least more would vote for him than Obama.) But somehow I don't think I'm answering your question the way you want it answered.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
He is the only Rep that has a chance of beating Obama imo. He's a consensus maker. That scares the GOP. I think it also scares the Obama crowd.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I have been asking around and no one I have spoken to is "excited about" or especially favoring Romney, though many Republicans would vote for him if nominated. Needless to say, there is much excitement about Paul and some for Obama - somewhat balancing with those who are disenchanted with Barry.

Possibly Romney could beat Obama, though at the moment that is not a given but he would get Republican support - almost no Democrat cross-over voters though. Romney's chance at election I believe will be largely dependent on what Paul does, whether he runs third-party, takes a VP slot, or endorses Mitt - however unlikely. Paul would attract cross-over voters and independents though maybe not have old-party Republican support as strongly. Any outcome for this election is certinly within the realm of "IMO" as you stated. Unless things start taking a decided direction soon this is an "anybody's guess" election right now.

Romney has luke-warm support at best. If he were bath water he may be considered neither too hot nor too cold so for that reason may be seen by that needed majority as "just right."

Oatmeal is not exciting at all, just filling and nutritious - if not over-loaded with sugary add-ons to try to make it more palatable. Regardless, the people who eat it up will claim to have a good diet. I'll take the doctor's advice this time.

edit on 24-5-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Sorry- my fault. I asked on FB yesterday and tonight at a dinner party and nobody understood what I was asking either. lol

Yes, pretty much is anyone excited about Romney. AND, for the republican primaries, is anyone actually rooting for him over Paul.

I've heard a TON of people say they would vote for Romney over Obama. But that's not really what I'm asking. I'm wondering if anyone actually likes him as a republican nominee.

Praetorius mentioned something that makes sense. It's not really that Romney rallies up people's hope and excitement- it's just who the media put forth.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I'd rather give McCain another failed swing at it than Romney.
Seriously though, this comes off to me as another "Obvious choice vs. No choice" election. In Bush vs Kerry, Kerry was Scary, and the polls showed it. In Obama vs. McCain, it was superstar vs the old establishment, and the polls showed it. Romney is about to be buried in the election.
2012 is Obama FTW, without a doubt. Not that it's what I want (though, if my only opitions are Romney or Obama, I'll take Obama, atleast while he's screwing me, he can sing on key), just how I see it.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Brief Bio:
I strongly support him as does my wife.
She is a an inner city level I trauma physician and I am a developer/programmer and owner of my company.

Since you stated you wanted only if there are ardent supporters, I complied...

Go Romney 2012

-christosterone

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
some were even into Gingrich. lol

Yes, indeed, "some were". Gingrich was the only worthwhile choice. Strange how people complain that the media tells them what to think, yet if the media portrays Gingrich as a buffoon they'll believe it without question.

top topics

join