It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ga. man becomes third high-profile case of necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating virus)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This flesh eating virus has happened 3 times this month. Two of the cases are in GA and one in SC. My sister in law and I were planning a trip to the lake but are kinda weary now. We live in GA.
www.cbsnews.com...
abcnews.go.com...
www.cbsnews.com... dy

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This stuff keeps popping up. First SARS virus, then bird flu, then swine flu, now they saved the best for last, flesh eating bacteria. Wonderful.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

And it happens quickly, you catch it and then within a day or two your needing to go to the hospital for surgery. Scary stuff.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by concerned190
reply to post by Covertblack

And it happens quickly, you catch it and then within a day or two your needing to go to the hospital for surgery. Scary stuff.

Yep, the faster you can go into surgery the better. I would have to put that as my number one spot of top ten horrible ways to die.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
What bugs me is that the cases we're hearing about seem to be concentrated in the southeast.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I agree.... the article says last year there were 42 cases of this and 33 of the were from GA and 7 in SC. Very close to the CDC i am sure.
edit on 5/24/2012 by concerned190 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
What bugs me is that the cases we're hearing about seem to be concentrated in the southeast.

Seems that way now. I have heard conspiracies involving the close proximity to the CDC, and also a mutating bacteria caused by chemicals dumped into the ocean during the horizon oil spill.

Just conspiracies for now with no proof to back them up, however it does cause one to wonder.
edit on 24-5-2012 by Covertblack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I agree.... the article says last year there were 42 cases of this and 33 of the were from GA and 7 in SC. Very close to the CDC i am sure.
edit on 5/24/2012 by concerned190 because: (no reason given)

Thats really disturbing. Seems to much for coincidence. I think of that woman who was over the cdc and was thn accused of horrible wrongdoings, and in her 'after' picture, she looked totally different, disheveled, maybe drugged. I got to wonder if she was going to whistleblow on something evil.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Saucerwench

I haven't heard of her....please link me!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Bacteria.

This isn't a "special" bacteria and it's not a virus, the article says it's most commonly strep. "Flesh eating bacteria" is just a way to get more money.

"Flesh eating virus" is sort of redundant if you know the reproductive cycle of viruses.
edit on 5/24/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Another person in GA, that makes 4 now.
milledgeville.13wmaz.com...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Not all of the infections have been water-born. The landscaper from Carrolton was just working a job site. I wonder if the gentleman from Milledgeville was wet?

Honestly, I'm a bit freaked out with summer starting and kids playing outside more frequently.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I haven't heard of her....please link me!

See this ATS thread www.abovetopsecret.com... from back in October. In it's opening post's link, is the msm news story,
www.ajc.com...
and you can see her after picture. I cannot get it's video to work for me, which may had contained her before picture. But with this pic, her shirt looks half off, and her face looks out-of-it. If you saw the before pic, youd probably be very surprised, -especially- the allegations, which are so bizarre and extreme. I myself do not believe those.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
The thing I have noticed with all but 1 case in GA is that in all instances, these victims contracted the virus AFTER a hospital visit.
There were 6 people treated in Nebraska this month too!nebraskaradionetwork.com...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

This is very odd, I agree.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Most cases are contracted in a hospital after surgery. It can consume flesh and organs at up to one inch per hour.

It is much more common in Europe where they do not use antibiotics nearly as much as in the USA.

I have seen British tabloids with color photos, sometimes front page, of victims. BAD STUFF!

It is a bacteria, not a virus.
edit on 26-5-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by oghamxx
It is much more common in Europe where they do not use antibiotics nearly as much as in the USA.

Actually, it's the overuse of antibiotics that make these types of flesh eating bacterias more virulent.

Do some research on MRSA and then tell us that Europe has more cases then the USA.

This is likely some variation of MRSA which does by the way actually cause Necrotizing Fasciitis, or it could be something very similar.

MRSA can be carried by a person mainly in the groin area and in the nostrils. The first linked article in the OP claimed that the man cut himself near the groin area. So he could have been a carrier and the bacteria got into his cut.

In the UK if you have to go in for any kind of surgery, you get swabbed immediately in the groin and nostrils to makesure you are not a carrier.

edit on 26-5-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Yes, the overuse of antibiotics makes all types of bacteria more virulent due to the development of new drug resistant strains but I was talking about frequency. My knowledge of the UK cases dates to the 80's and 90's.

I researched MRSA and it was described as 'potentially dangerous'. At one inch an hour, Necrotizing Fasciitis, aka galloping gangrene, is lethal if not caught very early.

NF may be MRSA on steroids!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by oghamxx
reply to post by skitzspiricy

Yes, the overuse of antibiotics makes all types of bacteria more virulent due to the development of new drug resistant strains but I was talking about frequency. My knowledge of the UK cases dates to the 80's and 90's.

I researched MRSA and it was described as 'potentially dangerous'. At one inch an hour, Necrotizing Fasciitis, aka galloping gangrene, is lethal if not caught very early.

NF may be MRSA on steroids!

Remember that this thread is only 3 reported cases. MRSA and other virulant bacterias are on the rise everywhere. As i stated before, most likley due to the overuse of Antibiotics.

The thing about Necrotizing Fasciitis is that it is not just simply a disease all by itself, it is the symptom of a few kinds of virulant bacteria.

I hate using wiki but it gives you the gist:

Necrotizing fasciitis is a quickly progressing and severe disease of sudden onset and is usually treated immediately with high doses of intravenous antibiotics.

Type I describes a polymicrobial infection, whereas Type II describes a monomicrobial infection. Many types of bacteria can cause necrotizing fasciitis (e.g., Group A streptococcus (Streptococcus pyogenes), Staphylococcus aureus, Vibrio vulnificus, Clostridium perfringens, Bacteroides fragilis, Aeromonas hydrophila[2]). Such infections are more likely to occur in people with compromised immune systems.[3]

Here's the kicker:

Historically, Group A streptococcus made up most cases of Type II infections. However, since as early as 2001, another serious form of monomicrobial necrotizing fasciitis has been observed with increasing frequency,[4] caused by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).

Emphasis mine.

Wiki on Necrotizing Fasciitis

So these cases could indeed be a more virulant strain of MRSA. As i said before in my earlier post MRSA can lead to Necrotizing Fasciitis. Some cases it can happen slowly, but in others it can happen fast. MRSA isn't necessarily just contracted in a hospital setting either, it can be community associated (CA).

The most common manifestations of CA-MRSA are skin infections, such as necrotizing fasciitis

Wiki on MRSA

Also it's highly contagious. Whether it's your run of the mill Staph A infection or the more virulant MRSA.

edit on 26-5-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Contaminated Medical Equipment Stolen
Medical machine containing flesh-eating bacteria stolen from Orlando lab

Whoever stole some discarded equipment from outside a pathology lab may have gotten more than he or she bargained for: Orlando police say the equipment, worth about $500,000, is contaminated with a substance that could eat away at human skin. Read more here: www.miamiherald.com...=cpy

I was wondering if this has anything to do with it. This happened in Orlando, FL.

I heard about this up in PA on the radio the other day and have seen these new threads poppin up.

A_L

top topics

<<   2 >>

join