It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Ticketed For Dropping Money On Ground

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Man Ticketed For Dropping Money On Ground

patdollard.com

Excerpted from FOX8: CLEVELAND — A random act of kindness lands a man in trouble with police.

Last Monday, May 14th John Davis was exiting I-90 at the West 117th ramp when he saw a man in a wheelchair. The man was pale, thin and holding a sign that had a religious sentiment and also a request for help.

John thought to himself, “I think we’re all to help the less fortunate.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
fox8.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Policing For Profit. Do Not Carry Cash In Tennessee
Man Loses $22,000 In New 'Policing For Profit' Case

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I think this is ridiculous. How can states make it illegal to give to the less fortunate. The fact that they are charging him with litering just shows all they want is money, and not justice. I hope people take notice of this in order to prevent this from happening elsewhere. This is just as bad as the policing for profit in Tennessee.

patdollard.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24/5/12 by usmc0311 because: poor spelling

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I bet you'd get arrested for stealing if you picked it up

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I completely understand the purpose for doing this.

After all, we can not let people think they can go around living off of handouts and entitlements.

edit on 24-5-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Well he got ticketed coz he was trying to help another human being. How dare he, he should help the Government first and then himself, his family and any other human being.

The ticket giver must have thought, he got free money, we want it too!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by xenujenkins

Unless you're the cop, in which case it is Civil Asset Forfeiture. .

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by xenujenkins

I don't think they arrested the panhandler, but if they did that would just add to the rediculousness of this situation.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Very infuriating.

A frustrating thing about the article is the sheer amount of little rules police can pull out of their pockets to fine a citizen. For instance, they 'got him' for 'littering' (
) but also mentioned they could have fined him for donating to panhandlers. It's scary to think about it. Like the warning goes, there are so many laws on the books- give an officer a few minutes and they will be able to point out SOMETHING illegal in your actions.

It really does feel like it's getting harder and harder to 'back the blue' when nonsense like this happens every day. Glad the media picked it up and I hope the man wins his cause.

'Littering' for accidentally dropping money that I'm sure was picked up.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
That is so ridiculous!

Apparently, dropping something on the ground, and then picking it up, is still considered littering!?

So awesome our cops have nothing better to do than to harass good samaritans.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
I completely understand the purpose for doing this.

After all, we can not let people think they can go around living off of handouts and entitlements.

edit on 24-5-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

I understand where you are coming from, but there are people that need help and it should not be a crime to do so in my opinion.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
That's just ridiculous.

I don't understand why they are charging him for littering when the only law he broke was giving the unfortunate guy money. I would take it to court too.

But I do kind of wonder if he will be able to get the whole thing thrown out because of a technicality. Let's hope. We need to help each other out in these hard times.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by faryjay
Well he got ticketed coz he was trying to help another human being. How dare he, he should help the Government first and then himself, his family and any other human being.

The ticket giver must have thought, he got free money, we want it too!

I know right. Some places are having their police do some preety terrible things just to make money.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I know, I avoid contact with police nowadays for this reason. My small town cops don't pull this crap, at least not yet but your right. If they want to find something illegal in your actions they sure will. Especially if it will yield them money in the end.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Rustyk

In these cases, this is where the defendant must take it all the way, do not plea anything. Take it to the jury, if I am on the jury, cases like this I will side with the defendant every time, I would even be the one to hold out and create a hung jury if need be.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I am not shocked.

We live in a world where people are arrested for feeding the homeless. This should not shock us at all. Only question I have is.....

Have you had enough yet?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
That is so ridiculous!

Apparently, dropping something on the ground, and then picking it up, is still considered littering!?

So awesome our cops have nothing better to do than to harass good samaritans.

My guess would be a young officer with too large of an ego. Or he was just realy bored and needed something to do. The police should be helping the homeess, not charging others who do with a crime.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rustyk
That's just ridiculous.

I don't understand why they are charging him for littering when the only law he broke was giving the unfortunate guy money. I would take it to court too.

But I do kind of wonder if he will be able to get the whole thing thrown out because of a technicality. Let's hope. We need to help each other out in these hard times.

I hope the same. I can see him winning because the officer failed to charge him with the other offenses. I think he will be abe to quickly prove that he did not litter. I hope he gets the man he helped to testify, athough they woud probably then charge him for illegal panhandleing.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
I am not shocked.

We live in a world where people are arrested for feeding the homeless. This should not shock us at all. Only question I have is.....

Have you had enough yet?

Exactly, how much more of this will we all let happen. It's too bad people care more about who won american idol or that stupid dancing show and whatever other crap is on television these days. Maybe if MTV started playing stories about incidents like these people would pay attention.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
He was ticked for littering but, the cops say this statute would be a better fit:

There is a code which states that it is illegal to panhandle or give money to panhandlers near a highway or street including a berm, shoulder, treelawn or sidewalk.

Section No: 471.06 states in part that “No person shall stand on a highway for the purpose of soliciting…contributions…”

It also reads that “No driver” is to “transfer currency….to any person standing on a street or highway.”

Even if they did cite him for violating this law, he should fight it in court. The law says its illegeal to STAND on the side of the road or give money to anyone STANDING on the side of the road. The guy he gave the money to was in a wheelchair and was incapable of standing. The law is all about proper definitions and he should be able to beat it using this loophole.

I think its ridiculuous to have laws against helping the less fortunate. It seems the states want us all to be dependent on state aid in a time when the states are bankrupt and cutting benifits.

Are these jerkwads trying to incite a revolution against government excesses?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

If you feed them, they'll just keep coming back.
I learned about strays at an early age.

I agree with others that say they should have arrested the panhandler instead, but they won't do that, because there is no profit in it. Arresting the panhandler is the same as giving the panhandler money. Free room, board, healthcare, and meals. No point in arresting him. BUT, fining the other guy $500, now that is a lucrative business.

Probably, everyone would be better off if the driver had been drinking, and ran over the panhandler, took his DUI ticket, paid $2500, and got his license back, and no more panhandler to create a traffic hazard.

We have a guy here in my town that is constantly ticketed for riding his bike in a thong bikini. He is an older man, and he is a little mentally disabled, due to being ran over while riding his bike! He has been ticketed multiple times for indecent exposure, yet the FIVE (5) people that have hit him with their cars and severely injured him over the past 2 years have never been ticketed! How can you hit a pedestrian, in a bike lane, or on a sidewalk, and not be ticketed? Yet, minding your own business in a thong bikini gets you ticketed multiple times?

Personally, I think we should put the panhandlers to sleep. Put them in the pound, if no one comes along to adopt them in a few weeks, then euthanize them.
edit on 24-5-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join