It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook demands my number. I'm done!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I've had my facebook account since 2006. I've signed in nearly every day for years to keep connected to my family that lives all over the country until today. When I signed in yesterday morning, this is what I was greeted with:

I'm locked out of my account until I produce a phone number. Period. There is no getting around it. I contacted facebook and they told me that this is something they are starting to do with everyone and that is that. If you get selected and do not give your phone number then you remain locked out until you do so.

I got an email from a friend in Florida this morning telling me she was locked out of her account until she gave her number.

This is where I'm drawing the line because I don't see why they need my phone number.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The reason they say, it is for identity confirmation.
FB is a huge database where gov agencies can lookup their stuff about you if they need to. How handy it comes that you stored the mobile number there.

This will be a big test to all FBs. Either they commit and think why not, or they finally decide to leave. I hope its the last one and FB will go down.

Don´t get me wrong. FB is a great tool to get in contact with someone, because many are there. Its the surrounding (the privacy loss) that is the big no no for me. I joined FB myself a year or so. I searched for everyone I could find, changed numbers (via email of course) and left. You need to google a special site if you want to delete your FB account. Its not in the options menu, only deactivating is possible. They do not delete it on the spot, you have to stay away for 14 days. How sinister. Some FB addict that wants to go, will fall back because of that.

edit on 24-5-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Aisling

maybe they start to collect more data from persons, that have a high activity on their services.
they check their data, pick the 1% of fb users, that use fb services the most.

edit on 24-5-2012 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Aisling

It's about verifying your identity and all of that crap. I've never had it ask or demand mine as of yet, but since I use it from my phone, my number was already assigned to the account.

Here's what I suggest you do, if you still want to use facebook, and it still lets you. do the security check, then remove the number from your account information because every time they "accidentally" open up the privacy settings, your number becomes visible to all your friends.

I don't blame people for not wanting to give them the number, but it's not a data mining scam, you won't get any spam calls or texts or anything like that. Facebook T&C specify you can only have 1 account, and it can't be a fraudulent one. Connecting it to your phone allows them to have some type of identifier if a problem occurs, your account gets hacked, someone files a complaint saying you aren't really you.

I do recall having to give my cell number for sms verification for additional gmail accounts, I think once I hit 5 from the same IP.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Good move... if I get this prompt I'll be doing the same thing. I wouldn't trust facebook as far as I could throw them. I'm not sure if this is a genius move on their behalf or another boneheaded how-much-personal-data-harvesting-can-we-get-away-with move...

It backfires, people leave facebook, or... they simply open up a new account and abandon the old one. That way at the AGM facebook can turn around and go "Hey, look at the massive increase in users we've had this year!" to help boost their stock value...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Yeah but if you saved it one time only there, its in the logs until you delete it. So deleting it out of the formular does not change the fact that they still posses and can access your number.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LordGoofus

Hah, for that purpose, I would only count regular accounts with peoples names in it (still can be a imaginative person of course) and those accounts who log on at least once a week. This will reduce numbers down five to ten times I estimate (without further data)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Aisling

They ask the same thing occasionaly,when i try to login to my gmail.I never enter a number and i hit the "enter the number" button and it continues with the log in.So far it hasn't caused me any trouble.

Have you tried to proceed without entering the phone number?

I don't have facebook,so i don't know how certain features work,but if you want to continue with it,use a false number or an old number of yours.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Aisling

Information is money, and they want more of it. Most people are happy just to give it away for free, I'm glad you drew a line.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Geesh just give them the number of the FBI Tipline or some number in Backworldistan.

How someone can use FB is beyond me but whatever floats your boat ..

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I get asked for this all the time because I hide behind proxies and dont actually post anything about myself, ever.
Instead I use facebook for posting video feeds of global protests and news items I feel are important and not getting the attention they deserve.

All my posts are public, my name is fake, my fbook is linked to a disposable hushmail registered from behind several layers of proxies and the phone is an unregistered pre pay. This is the only safe way to use fbook in my view.

I would not go near facebook as me as it was funded by the CIA investment arm InQTel, for a reason. They know every detail about nearly 1 billion peoples lives now.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Aisling

I don't have a Facebook account, so I'm not faced with the choice (CIA writing this fact down, "Brad Pitt doesn't have a Facebook account"). But it looks like the entire innernest is tightening up to the point of exposure of the user (new European laws, etc) without any sockpuppet posting of any kind. But a phone number? Get a throw away phone, give them that number, then store it in a lake after their phone-check is complete. Who you are is your business, and even though some of us (Brad Pitt here, hi) don't mind people knowing, most do and that's their right in a free world.
edit on 24-5-2012 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I've never been asked for my phone number...but really, what is the harm in asking for identity? It's not like they are asking for your social security number. Would you rather have someone else pose as you?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
PS here is their law enforcement guides from a while back, I suspect the 2011/12will be scary when finally leaks due to the various cyber factions

publicintelligence.net...

Gives you an idea of what info they have on you, and how you can mitigate that

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunglower

He can, I will sue the crap out of him when I find out. Problem solved.
Beside that, People will find the fake account pretty soon if they are your friends. So if you use FB for friends only and not 1000+ strangers that you never met personally, you´ll be fine.
Why handle it to FB when I can take care of it myself?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I mean does it really matter? If the SHTF, just disconnect it. I mean if you have a cell phone or lan line now, when the SHTF scenario breaks loose, and if you happened to be a threat, all the government would have to do is look at your bill records, or contact your cell company to find you.

I think the government has made it clear that they do what they want to do, whenever they want. And plus if we are plagued with some sort of revolution-type war, cell phones would be useless, seeing as the government would have already shut them down.

i think you can delete the number after you enter it. I don't remember putting a number in, but I do remember my number showing up on my profile. Extreme annoyance followed and then I was able to delete it.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Aisling

Ok. Here is the trick if this is indeed an sms verification, not an actual phone call.

If you have an iphone, ipod touch, or android device, there is a free app (in app adds) called "textme" on apple store and "text me!" on android market.

Now, there are subtle differences between the ipod version and the android version. I set up my account on the apple one, and it askes for a number so it can provide you with a "local" number. I gave it my old de-activated land line number and it gave me a canadian number in my area code.

This app uses your data or wifi connection and once configured, you can text for free to any number in the US and Canada and a few other international places. As well, anyone with a phone can text you to the number created by the app. You can send text pics and audio clips with the app, but can't receive them unless the person sending is using the app.

There are several different apps that do this, I can only speak for this one being 100% free, no spam calls, no weirdness, no charges for anyone ever. It's also the fastest, you can have the same conversation you would have over sms with little to no delays most of the time.

Set that up, see if you can get a local number, but it really doesn't matter...

Then provide facebook with that number for sms verification.

The only downside is, if you don't use the app for 72 hours it will re-assign your number, so if your account ever did get locked out and you needed to have them send you an sms, you'd either have to use the app every second day, or create a new facebook account.

Here's the android version:
TextMe!

I'd suggest if you have the option, to use the ipod version. can't get my contacts to load pictures in the android version, only my own, where as you can assign images to your contacts in the apple version. As well, the apple version lets you send video clips as well, which the android doesn't.

I've been using it for a few months, it's great, saves you a ton on your sms, and also allows you to not give out your real phone number, but still be reachable on your phone via sms.

Now, I've send audio and pictures from the apple one with no issues at all for the end user, but some people are reporting that from the android version when you send an image, the end user they get a link they have to load from a web browser. I can't verify that, my contact didn't report any of that, so it might be up to specific carriers.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sunglower
I've never been asked for my phone number...but really, what is the harm in asking for identity? It's not like they are asking for your social security number. Would you rather have someone else pose as you?

You are naive as its not about that, its about them having extra valuable information they can sell/provide to LE.
I use an unregistered pre pay behind proxies, they have no idea who I am and anyone can still pose as me doing the same, it was a way to force you to fill in that question and your info can be sold for more, to marketing companies and such, read the t&cs your info belongs to facebook.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I left FB about a year ago and I've not looked back. I deleted all my photos - friends, edited personal info and signed out. I can't believe people still use it to be honest. It's the whole dictatorship like them demanding your phone number that puts me right off, and just seems to be a massive policing tool. The amount of people you hear about getting arrested by saying something on FB is unbelievable. Myspace was never like that, and you can actually delete your account from there. I miss myspace, it seemed a friendlier place to communicate with friends and family. No governments or police sticking their big fat intrusive noses in.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Gmail does the same.

You know you can just skip that step right?

vvv

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join