It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy in the music industry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Why is it that so many music videos have someone injecting a few lines of rap crap into the songs? These few lines add nothing to the music. I can't even ask specific questions because I have no idea why this is done. Are the artists forced to have these rappers on?

The following videos have (I guess they'd be called cameo appearances of) these rappers. I know if I were a pop star I wouldn't them in my videos.

Willa Ford, Katy Perry, and Shakira videos have these intruders.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Why is it that so many music videos have someone injecting a few lines of rap crap into the songs?

I thought the reason was well known - to make more money.
The reason artists "feature" on aother artists songs is that so fans of BOTH artists now want to buy the song.

Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg
Now fans of Katy Perry, and Snoop Dogg are the target markets. Double the markets, double the sales.

What?? Did you think it might have been for some musical reason????

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

crank this OP

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Today’s music is pure sh!te. Give me the music of the 60s and 70s any day to this Satanic inspired garbage.

I know, I know, the artists of the 60s and 70s were Illuminati stooges too, but at least their music sounded much, much better.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
OP doesn't like Rap.

Big deal, so what? Music isn't meant to be liked by everyone, its not forced upon anyone. Like any artform it is wholly in the control of the audience whether to support it or not.

yes there is a "Music Industry" but there is no conspiracy. Artists have been collaborating for years, if you do some research, the artists that collaborate with each other tend to be signed to the same record label - this is mostly for rights management and a streamlined way to calculate royalties.

For Example, Beats that Dr Dre writes used by other artists on Death Row Records are able to be used easily without having to license the sound files (drum samples, etc) to another studio. The studio/record label maintains the rights of the sounds and uses many of the same sounds to produce other artists like Snoop Dogg back in the day.

The only "Conspiracy" or foul play you can point at with music is the Unlicensed use of samples.

A great documentary covering this is called Everything is a Remix

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Macdon
Today’s music is pure sh!te. Give me the music of the 60s and 70s any day to this Satanic inspired garbage.

I know, I know, the artists of the 60s and 70s were Illuminati stooges too, but at least their music sounded much, much better.

i agree, but i wouldnt call it music.. its more like an advert of a musical nature. its all about product placement and satisfying the shareholders. it takes no skill at all to make todays music, none. just a computer

CX

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I guess it depends what you are into, but in general i agree with you.

There are tons of amazing artists nowadays though, just stay away from 99% of the mainstream bands and you'll find some gems.

As for the thread topic, and to add a bit of conspiracy...maybe they are trying to spread what some say they started....

The Secret Meeting that Changed Hip-hop and Destroyed a Generation

CX.
edit on 24/5/12 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Hahaha... I agree with you but... You'd ban Elvis for his devil music and hip gyrating with that attitude. I think that's hilarious.

And I used to listen to Venom...

look at me, satans child.. born of evil thus deviled..
brought to life through satanic birth,
raised in hell, to live on earth...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
OP doesn't like Rap.

Big deal, so what? Music isn't meant to be liked by everyone, its not forced upon anyone. Like any artform it is wholly in the control of the audience whether to support it or not.

You don't really believe that do you? It's so far off the mark, it's not funny. Music today is mass produced. Talent is a second criteria over marketability. Get a hot young chap, throw him in a music video and hey if he can't sing, auto tune it. Viola instant teeny bopper fanbase.

I'd say less than 20% of todays music is based on what the audience likes, and 80% is all about selling something that in any other time would be pure toss. I keep hearing of new boy bands, or random singers that are plastered all over the media, and thats the only way they become famous.

One Direction? GOod grief, even that Friday chick got semi famouse, for being so bad.

That's how it is. Even if you suck entirely, you'll make money.

It's all marketing. And people, in general, are stupid.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Pop artist puts a top rap artist in their song for a few bars, it opens up sales to a huge audience who only listen and buy music of that genre. It's all about the $$, that's all.

Music is a very ugly business, I won't lie, but I don't think it needs conspiracies to be any worse than it is. My old boss when I worked in Hollywood in the film biz had also once been involved in the music business, too and his brother was at that time like the #2 guy at I think it was Interscope, if memory serves (been a while). My boss told me once, "if you think this business is nasty, it's nothing compared to the record business."

Mind you, he said this to me at a time I was feeling particularly low because by then I had seen and heard about some pretty terrible stuff in the film biz:

One of our clients had been royally screwed over by Michael Bay on a deal, and then our client fired us because he blamed us for the deal being screwed up, meanwhile the whole thing went south because Bay was trying to use our guy as leverage somehow to get more money into the budget of "Pearl Harbor" and never intended to buy his script in the first place. Then there were the pricks at Endeavor who were supposed to be our friends who stabbed us in the back with the client by whispering in his ear the whole time that we screwed up and he should leave us. Just nasty, cutthroat crap. My boss had discovered that guy, got him his first big deal, we get screwed over and he bolts. Fast forward about a decade and that writer wins a Golden Globe and nearly won an Oscar (he was favored but lost).

I had another boss who told me some bruiser once came to his office and threatened to throw him out his 9th floor office window if he kept asking for money he was owed on a deal he made with a major production company that did a lot of very big kid's TV shows back in the 90's.

A co-worker, very beautiful woman, who told me several stories of how she was sexually harassed in the business, in one instance by a top (and I mean TOP) producer she had worked for who tried to make her give him oral sex for a promotion (she didn't and was fired). She also had a top director chasing after her for a long time in a totally creepy way.

Creepy famous actors doing creepy things to try and hook up with our actress clients -- we had to warn more than a few of our clients off of seeing some of these guys for their own safety.

Saw a thing once on TV where the writer Norman Mailer talked about a meeting he had with a movie producer and half-way through the producer, who knew Mailer wrote a lot about boxing and had encountered some mob guys that way, started hinting that he wanted Mailer to get him in contact with someone who could hire a hit man for him, which was the real purpose of the meeting. Not that he wanted to hire him to write something or buy one of his stories.

It seemed like very week someone was trying to use someone or back stab someone we were dealing with, and as bad as all this was, my boss is telling me the music industry is even worse.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I can unlisten to anything and completely forget it by listening to ANY random Peter Gabriel track.
This from a huge death metal fan.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Willa wanna be bad
Like da s on da chess
ya ya babe
wanna be
bad
wanna be baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad
for u s
wan suck
etc

Sold out LOL

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by jiggerj
Why is it that so many music videos have someone injecting a few lines of rap crap into the songs?

I thought the reason was well known - to make more money.
The reason artists "feature" on aother artists songs is that so fans of BOTH artists now want to buy the song.

Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg
Now fans of Katy Perry, and Snoop Dogg are the target markets. Double the markets, double the sales.

What?? Did you think it might have been for some musical reason????

Actually, I was thinking it was a show of power of some kind. As in, artists are being told what they can and cannot do with their own music. Do it this way or you don't get to do it at all.

But, your reasoning is very sound. Never would have thought of it.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X
OP doesn't like Rap.

No no, it's not that. I do hate rap, but I would still be curious if it had been opera, or country sound mixed in with hard rock. I like alpha1's answer.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantican
I can unlisten to anything and completely forget it by listening to ANY random Peter Gabriel track.
This from a huge death metal fan.

Well then tell me how to get 'The Big Big Bang' by Rock Mafia out of my head. I loved it when I first heard it, but now it won't stop!!!

new topics

top topics

join