It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can we re-do our lives over again after we die?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I have always wondered this and would love to be able to live my life over again after I die. Perhaps "fast-forwarding" at certain parts and make different decisions at key moments in my life. To do things differently and see where those new paths would take me.

We make decisions every single day. Decisions that stick with us for the rest of our lives. We can't undo the decisions we make when we're alive. We are stuck on a track when it comes to that. One single track that continuously moves forward until death...

What if we are able to re-do our lives over again? Would you do things differently?

How would it affect other people?

Can we have an endless amount of re-do's until we feel comfortable enough seeing all the pathways, then move on at our own accord?

Thoughts?...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
If there is reincarnation then this is most certainly possible, I suppose. I look at it this way: even if you reincarnate into the same person you are not necessarily reincarnating into the same life. When you take free will and chaos theory (building off the free will of everyone else as well) into account there could be a vast difference between the various 'paths' that you could have taken. Infinite possibilities

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
your life doesnt end when the body dies. find yourself and you will know

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nurelic
I have always wondered this and would love to be able to live my life over again after I die. Perhaps "fast-forwarding" at certain parts and make different decisions at key moments in my life. To do things differently and see where those new paths would take me.

We make decisions every single day. Decisions that stick with us for the rest of our lives. We can't undo the decisions we make when we're alive. We are stuck on a track when it comes to that. One single track that continuously moves forward until death...

What if we are able to re-do our lives over again? Would you do things differently?

Can we have an endless amount of re-do's until we feel comfortable enough seeing all the pathways, then move on at our own accord?

Thoughts?...

MY DEAR EVER LOVING GOD I HOPE NOT! Even if given the chance this one I would NEVER want to re live it'd be like watching that scary movie over and over again or a reaccurring nightmare!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
No you can't! Your next turn at the wheel of life will have different lessons for you to learn.

I wish I could though. There would be a few church run children's homes that would have been burnt to the ground.

P

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
It it were possible, all things being the same, unless you were able to retain information from your life before, you would make the same decisions and life would be exactly the same.

Now, if you could, lets say preprogram a change or two in the decisions you made before restarting the story of your life a second time, then that is something worth contemplating. Not in any serious manner, but strictly hypothetical. I know I wouldn't want to relieve existence on this rock or as a human of even the happiest carefree person. The world and life truly suck.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

What if you were able to go backward and forward (in the re-do) whenever you want, to either change moments in time, or re-live them? Then would you do it? Or do you think you'd be satisfied enough by the time you die that you wouldn't need to re-live it?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

Could we redo our lives and still come away thinking the same way as we did before we made the changes? I don't think so. For all the flaws I am aware of, I am me. To change a decision or a mistake made in the past I would, in effect, be killing me.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
What if our re-do's are only in our own sub-conscious minds? Seeming completely real, but only in our imagination of how we 'think' things would have turned out?...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I would in a heartbeat.

Only the next time around I'd ask Staci whatsherface
to the prom and not drink so much Vodka and eat sardines beforehand.

Bad Ju-Ju those two on an empty stomach

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
The world and life truly suck.

Even if your able to change both for the better?

You can perceive the world and your life any way you want to. Why perceive both as sucky?...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
am I the only person who thinks that once your dead, you're gone for all eternity?

I can't really answer this question when my expectation is that there is nothing after life.

it's not really a bad perspective, rather than deluding myself, I can accept the fact.

it just means you want to take a deep breath and acknowledge that your running out of them..
and one day, you'll take your last one forever.

change your life now.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

What are you proposing? What knowledge would I be able to retain in any do-over? Assuming it is all personal and not something like lotto numbers or knowledge of such things as 9/11, then I would still classify my personal life as 'sucky' because the world as a whole is such.

The ability to change the world to anything but would require multiple people, multiple lifetimes and would have had to start decades or more ago. Considering human nature, I don't even know if anything or any do-overs of everyone's life could improve things.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I have wondered the same thing. If alternate universes are a reality then I would think this is possible. For instance if true free will exists then every critical choice could spawn it's own alternate universe. So the question is since you are consciously occupying this version of yourself, who occupies your other selves? Can you live through them all if you so choose?

I think everyone would like to do something over. It's like playing an RPG game, you create multiple characters to see the outcome of taking a different path.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Nurelic

I just want to do my hair !

I'm sorry I couldn't help it.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

reply to post by Nurelic

What are you proposing? What knowledge would I be able to retain in any do-over? Assuming it is all personal and not something like lotto numbers or knowledge of such things as 9/11, then I would still classify my personal life as 'sucky' because the world as a whole is such.

I'm proposing being able to remember every part of your life, and then focusing on a given memory and "transporting" yourself to that moment in time.

Considering human nature, I don't even know if anything or any do-overs of everyone's life could improve things.

Yeah, that's one way to think. Just one way though. You can't really progress with that bleak point of view. The ones that do want to improve the world will do so. To be able to work on creating a better world is an awesome job oppurtunity with great benefits...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I think the concept is called Recurrence – where you do live your life over and over again ad infinitum. Throw in some parallel universes and quantum physics and you can change the decisions presented to you in your recurring lives.
www.amazon.com...=cm_cr_pr_top_link_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addFiveStar&showVi ewpoints=0
Is There Life After Death by British author Anthony Peake is a brilliant book. It is a very hard, but extremely interesting read and would be helped greatly by a table of contents and index. However, it is a must read by all people interested in this genre, absolutely and unequivocally.

In this book, Peake attempts to update the ideas of J.W. Dunne in the light of the latest theories of quantum physics, neurology and consciousness studies.

The basic premise is that nearing the point of death, you actually never die and the brain gushes with glutamate, as it did once before, during birth, and you re-live your current life again in a virtual reality generated by the brain (or something else) - a Groundhog Day existence, so to speak. This is due to the fact that time dilates and you literally enter a time-less state or at least a state where time is near endless. This is alluded to by the way your perception of time changes dramatically throughout your life for one reason or another - dreaming, playing, getting bored, endangered, excited, sad and so on. Dropping out of time is what Peake calls it.

Come the near time of your virtual reality death, the process is repeated, ad infinitum so it seems. The doctrine is called Recurrence and it seems the ancient Greeks and others alluded to it, so we find Peake uses Greek terminology for some of his concepts.

Peake uses the fact that time is not constant as well as the NDE, deja-vu, epilepsy and a host of neurological diseases to convince you to believe Recurrence. He does this quite well, but as with anything, the judgement is up to you. In fact, I found that some of the arguments materialists use to bludgeon a random and meaningless existence where they are the final arbiters of truth and the high priests of knowledge and wisdom, Peake uses to good effect in proving his point which is contra to theirs.

He uses quantum physics theory and its interpretation to convince us that the virtual life and all those thereafter are not exactly the same, as you have the freedom to choose and thus enter a different parallel universe with each choice you make.

Deja-vu is a glitch in the system, when you actually remember the previous Recurrence of your virtual life.

NDE is more or less another glitch in the system where your next Recurrence is prematurely triggered and you come back and call it a "Life Review". You're actually alive and the next virtual life starts running.

Prophecy alludes to Recurrence too, according to Peake and his argument here is that prophets like Nostradamus, are exceptionally good at predicting future events within the time span of their lives, but hopeless once past their date of death. That's because they're somehow remembering their previous Recurrence and can't gather information outside their existence. Get a young prophet is the message here as they should be able to see more years into the future, their future as well as yours.

Don't be fooled, while I believe the title is quite banal, the book reeks of freshness and originality.

In fact it's the first non-study book, I'm going to read again (over 400 pages worth) and take notes, so that I can remember the concepts. I hope I have them correct for the purposes of this review.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nurelic

Thoughts?...

How do you know that you're not already living those alternate realities. Who is to say that your consciousness is singular. That you don't have multiple (perhaps even infinate) conscious realities occuring simultaneously. Maybe the human mind is just limited in its capacity to operate in divergent ways !

Cue Richard Linklater :-

Peace Out
edit on 24-5-2012 by nimbinned because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Macdon

Very interesting indeed. Thanks for the info and the link.

Great post.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
You must believe in some sort of spirit within each person in order to think that 'life' must go on to experience a second chance at getting things right, in which case there is creation in your beliefs. But does it really make sense that a Creator would need to re-use these spirits in each person that He creates?  Just looking at population numbers clearly shows that new spirits are created... a population starting off would be few in number... yet today we have 7 billion. Surely Our Creator created the extra 6,999,998 spirits...in your proposal, our human population needed to start at the same number, then as each human dies a baby is born to give the spirit another chance. Population levels exclude this possibility.

And I'm curious, how do you define what 'getting it right' means? Without a higher definition of 'good', societies go into meltdown because humans compare their 'goodness' to those around them. "I'm better than a murderer because I haven't murdered.... so I'm 'good'" despite the fact that I may cheat on my spouse or take bribes" - see the error? As society takes away the stigma of adultery and bribery - "everyone does it, it's not really abnormal" - humans progressively fall into worse behaviours because they relabel 'evil' as 'good'. Looking around today our societies are falling apart because we have abandoned the God of our fathers and grandfathers in favour of man. We no longer hold to His laws because we've been seduced by cunning and vain doctrines that tell us that we can get it right in the "next life", yet this completely misses the obvious thought that we were  put here in hopes of overcoming to fulfil God's plans, not our own. And that that plan is available for you to seek by asking for faith to believe.

"But now he (Jesus) has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, 28so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him." Hebrews 9:26-28

One life, one death, one judgement. God is Salvation to those who seek Him - just and merciful - creating man with wicked tendencies yet providing the Way to overcome it all - the faith of Jesus Christ. He showed all of us the way - obedience to God's commandments and in total Faith. I know that your thought provides you hope, but this is your lifetime to sort it out, not any next time. In which case, call on Him with a humble heart.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join