It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YF-16 tested at a "secret base near Nellis"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
From Robert Coram's biography about John Boyd, on page 259:
www.amazon.com...

Each prototype would fly against a MiG kept at a secret base near Nellis. Each prototype would also go up against the F-4. Sprey did not want Edwards pilots as test pilots; he wanted real fighter pilots who would bank and yank without worrying about their clipboards, guys who could stand a plane on its tail and make it sky-dance without worrying if they were writing down all the numbers, guys who did not need some engineering geek on the ground to radio instructions on how to turn and burn.

Sprey refers to Pierre Sprey, one of John Boyd's associates. The phrase "each prototype" refers to the YF-16 and YF-17, though I believe only the YF-16 was tested against MiGs at the "secret base". [The YF-16 became the F-16. The YF-17 became the F/A-18.]

The book doesn't explicitly state if the secret base is Groom or the TTR.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by gariac

ok you got me.. i wanted something NEW
the Thread made it FEEL, like this was NEW

nothing NEW here,, but an old book
edit on 5/24/12 by darrman because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/24/12 by darrman because: i would try to get MY stars up over my post count.. if it was me...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

In fact, the book is out of print. That doesn't negate the value of the information. It is well worth reading. It gives you a feel of Nellis Weapons School, which is THE major player on the Nellis range (Red Flag, JEFX, and Groom Lake being some of the other users.) Along the same line would be Greg Anderegg's "Sierra Hotel." A google search of sierra hotel anderegg will get you a free copy of the book. I've been to Anderegg's crash site near Alamo, which is mentioned in the book.

www.lazygranch.com...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The YF-16 and YF-17 were pitted against each other in a fly-off competition for the Lightweight Fighter contract in 1974. This was long before the TTR airfield was built up for the Red Eagles. The only MiGs in Nevada at that time were at Groom Lake.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

Since this was a "fly off", it would make sense that both planes were tested at Groom, even if not explicitly stated so in the book regarding the YF-17. The YF-17 was the loser, but eventually became the F-18. It is probably one of the few occurrences of an Air Force plane making its way to the Navy.

top topics

join