It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would we even know?? (SHTF)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
This is an SHTF type scenario. And I am asking the question...how would we even know, and what would we (you) do?

I will start by explaining a little back story. From getting somewhat paranoid from ATS
, I found myself in quite the predicament one morning. I woke up to my electricity going out (around 3:30am-which I knew this when I got a hand on my cell phone). The animals were going crazy (in my house as well as the neighborhood), my young son awoke, and I scurried around to get some lanterns. I then soon realized that I had NO cell service at all either. There was no storm/ weather, etc. I couldn't get on any msm site on my computer because even when I threw on my generator on, I had no internet!. For a little while, I thought to myself "what if this is...well...it (shtf)". After a few hours the power came back on and it was back to life. But that got me thinking....if there was a SHTF scenario...how would you know.??
Its not like a hurricane, etc. where you get some warning and have time to prepare. It won't be on CNN that "tomorrow, the S will HTF"
What if my above scenario was in fact when the SHTF...I am prepared to bug-in for about a year...but there is no news, no ATS, no texting or calling friends, etc. Maybe only a few with HAMs or CBs. No one to say "hey a nuke just hit washington", or "oh yah, that was a solar flare" You're just kind of in limbo. My point is, when will you think, the SHTF!! When will if hit you?, and are you too late? Or are you prepared?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LrBc1275

www.nbc.com...

watch the trailer!

WOW

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
You might not be able to draw a conclusion right away;
or, it could be something that grabs everyone's attention on the news! The possibilities go on..

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

AWESOME! Man I am in love with that Charlie girl.

I think we'll figure it out pretty quick OP.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
To Domo1 & MoveThroughMetal

Thats pretty much the question I'm posing is that will we find out immediately or is it going to be more of a subtle manifestation??
Thanks for the replies.

PS-Pretty cool trailer- didnt even know about that, not too much of a TV person but Ill have to check it out.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Did you not have a battery powered radio that you could have tuned in to?

I'd consider myself lucky if I were at home if SHTF. One wouldn't want to be stuck on I-95 in that situation...or anywhere near a walmart.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LrBc1275

Yeah my response kinda sucked sorry. I think it would depend on what type of S was hitting the fan. Alien invasion? I think we would know quick. Nukes going off in major cities, I think we would know pretty quick. The entire grid going down at once, would take awhile I believe to know the entire problem.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I woke one morning to the electric being out , and those thoughts crossed my mind too. Did you ever see that movie POSTMAN with Kevin Costner. Alot of places would be like that. No one knew what was going on in other places, rumors / propaganda was the news and people were in small tribes/ groups.

When and or if TSHF all you will be doing is living in the now and trying to survive.
Great post

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Get a windup radio. I have one. It has a compass, ER light, radio, small storage space, flashlight, phone charger, and 10 other functions. Cost was about $17 US.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
And going further...kids at school cant call home, family at work cant either...the traffic lights dont work, the gas pumps are out, and so is the electronic registers at the party, convenience and grocery stores...the radios are out, the Internet is out, cable is out, street lights are out.

Neighbors up and down your block are asking each other whats happening.

Do your kids start walking towards home because they cant call? Or do you start heading to them? Do you start walking from work? You cant call home to see...home doesnt know where you are nor the kids... or what they or you are doing.

A nightmare? Yes. Worst case scenario? Yes. But surviving with supplies for a little while is rather pointless in the long run. Power returning to service is estimated as a week or longer...if a NUke Reactor...they say it could take as long as a year to come back on-line as we dont have "spares"....and the companies who BUILD them will be down just like you...

Prepare yourselves the best way you can. Even a little. And God help us when TSHTF.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

Batteries wont help. Works only for awhile when you cant recharge...buy a windup. It will last you forever.

PS. What if the radio staions lose power and broadcast ability themselves? Even ER systems can go down eventually.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I wonder. What is shtf.
Nuke or solar flare, aliens etc. Is happened.
Radio broadcast tower is also down, no electricity, no nothing.
How will u then notify other that is "prepare for your doom thing" is just happened?
Considering maybe some personal radio station, with automatic mesage im john connor resistance to death.. Something like that only will work and a lot of people will known that bullS*** is hapened.
No other way. Even this will not work if frequencies is in trap.
So.. Make a tribe, get toilet paper, and wait to sheyt pass.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
PS Toilet paper. How long can you go without using any? And you cant clean your clothes? Waters out. Surface water is contaminated. No shaving, brushing teeth and soiled underwear.

Damn uncomfortable.Nerves on edge...and some very foul looking and smelling kids and selves...

We generally have the misconception that we can survive the initial discomforts....but even where I live...there are 6.5 MILLION in this SE lower state.

Thats a lot of "BO" and no relief in sight.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Lastly...I am a FEMA 1st Responder on an ERT Team. I will be there for you and all as long as I can, doing whatever I can...however I can.

Its what we do....

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Many of us invest in some communications gear for just this reason. The ideal is to have a good quality scanner with all of the local public service (fire, police, utilities, etc.) frequencies programmed in as well as a general coverage 'Ham' radio --- all able to be powered by alternative means. Many Ham radio operators prepare for just this kind of situation and have the equipment and power systems to be on the air when commercial broadcaster are not. A general coverage receiver also covers all the international shortwave frequencies.

I was 13 when the Great Northeast Blackout hit link . We turned-on our battery powered radio to see what was happening and none of the local/regional stations were on-the-air. We could pick-up distant stations but nothing that could provide information as their signals drifted in and out. The Ham/Public Service networks would have been invaulable back then.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
It seems it will be best strategic to setup personal radio stations around country, even if is limited due some range, it will spread message.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
You had best have a family plan. Depending on when it happens and where family expects to be...

That old stationary bicycle in the garage and an old car alternator and your new deep cell boat battery.

You will need power. AND entertainment for the kids.

You will need water so make sure that the Berkey water filter is ready and have some water stored.

Get some REAL Maple syrup (a big jug) for that sweet tooth moment. A bag (or twenty) of tobacco to trade.

When will you know when the event happens? You said in the OP, I believe... No power, no phone...

Depending where you live, no running water. (We keep BIG fish tanks along with water bladders full.)

Also, the Euro will tank before the Dollar so keep watch.

You may need that freeze dried crap to get you through. 20# of Organic honey stores well and tastes great!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger

Do your kids start walking towards home because they cant call? Or do you start heading to them? Do you start walking from work? You cant call home to see...home doesnt know where you are nor the kids... or what they or you are doing.

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

That my friend is my worst case scenario. My son is in Kindergarten 7 miles away, while I homeschool my daughter. I always worry about that scenario. Even though my son is young, he knows to stay and mom or dad will come for him, or die trying....

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

I was hesitant to go into that extent describing that worst case...but as I was trained...start preparing today. Any preparation is better than none. And you just cant do everything.

We're trained to do the best you can with what you have. And make sure you have a family plan in case. A place your daughter knows where to go if you cant reach her or get to her with no communication between you.

Most of all...dont worry. Just prepare the best you can. If it really concerns you, theres lists and emergency info and guides for you and your family at READY.GOV.

Or, you can U2U me and Ill forward....

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies.

The whole reason I put this thread up was that I talk with people at work, etc. about these types of scenarios, and you wouldnt believe how naive people can be. The majority of people I talk with expect someone to hold their hand through something like this. That is, msm reporting, the president making a statement, police, fire, ems etc. etc.
I truly feel bad for these people where they stand no chance.
I knew i wouldnt be let down on here though!!!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join