It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here Are The 5 Worst Places To Be When The Dollar Collapses

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by Xtrozero

I am not being sarcastic. Bravo New Englanders. I'm a weather junkie and I can't imagine living through some of the ice storms you people have been through. .

I'm the other Portland..Oregon... very little snow, lots of water, lots of hunting/fishing, fewer people...oh and lots of beer and wine. I'm on the edge of Big Foot country in Washougal Wa, so even though I stock 6 months worth of food I can hunt like crazy and I have unlimited water. It is salmon season now too and I got a smoker running right now.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
....moving to Oregon...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
some of you people are clueless, comparing a localized 1 week power outage or a 1 week blizzard to a total collapse of the world economy,and proves that you will not be prepared for it.
Hyper inflation will make money completely worthless,you won`t be able to buy anything with worthless currency.Food and water will be the new currency.you talk about growing your own food but how long will that take,3?4?5? months? you`ll starve to death before that food is even ready to be harvested. The stores will be out of food in a matter of days at the most.
massive widespread, extended power outages will be the norm so that freezer full of food won`t last long when the power goes out and the freezer stops working.
large cities will become slaughter pens with looters and rioters running rampant. the police will be outnumbered and it will be suicidal for them to even try to maintain any kind of order which is why they won`t try.
You won`t have a job anymore everything will be shut down because the currency will be worthless.

edit on 26-5-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mufcutcakeyumyum

I think it will be more like germany was after WW 1, massive food shortages, hyperinflation, worthless currency,epidemic unemployment.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
some of you people are clueless, comparing a localized 1 week power outage or a 1 week blizzard to a total collapse of the world economy,and proves that you will not be prepared for it.
Hyper inflation will make money completely worthless,you won`t be able to buy anything with worthless currency.Food and water will be the new currency.you talk about growing your own food but how long will that take,3?4?5? months? you`ll starve to death before that food is even ready to be harvested. The stores will be out of food in a matter of days at the most.
massive widespread, extended power outages will be the norm so that freezer full of food won`t last long when the power goes out and the freezer stops working.
large cities will become slaughter pens with looters and rioters running rampant. the police will be outnumbered and it will be suicidal for them to even try to maintain any kind of order which is why they won`t try.
You won`t have a job anymore everything will be shut down because the currency will be worthless.

Actually we aren't clueless and it wasn't a 1 week blizzard, it was 11 days in most places for no electricity and longer in others around here. And before you start dissing us all, know what you're dissing. And it was hardly LOCALIZED it was 6 states, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and part of New York (Westchester and Dutchess counties)

On October 29th a freak storm hit the Northeast United States, this was only 1 month after Hurricane Irene had ripped up the Connecticut River valley disrupting communication, power, supply lines etc. We were already in post storm recovery mode when this second storm hit, for the first 4 days buying anything was almost impossible, stores were closed, roads impassable, power was out, phones and cable were down, there was one cell company actually working and that was intermittently, for 4 days we all watched to see what was going to be done, and alas, nothing was happening, no rescue trucks, Ambulances and Fire couldn't get through, we were on our own.

On day 5 the government had enough and demanded answers from CL&P, excuses followed, and the melee began, at least it was entertainment. A lot of us build homemade hibachi type grills, used cut wood, etc to cook on (i needed my morning coffee I admit this girl is a javajunkie) and most of all we came together as a community. There was NO crime during this time period, NO squabbling people threatening each other, when the first supermarket in town opened back up again on genny power, people were civilized and orderly about it even though there was no frozen, or any deli, or the like there was no looting, remember at this point we were told it may be 30 days before we got our electricity back, and that was being generous, CL&P changed their story on day 6, said everyone would be restored the next day, that fell through badly, that's the ONLY trouble we had around here, a very angry and disgruntled public mad at one person, the Chairman of Connecticut Light and Power. Oh course by day 5 noone had cellphones or portable computers even anymore they had all died from lack of charging, we had one tiny battery powered radio, that was it, and it was on 24/7 to listen to the news updates as they came in.

By Day 10, everyone had pretty much settled into a routine

Day 11 came and 75% of the lights came back on, people were grateful, but there was a LOT of damage to still deal with. I can tell you we still haven't cleared all the downed trees in the backyard nor have we completely fixed the structural damage to the house, but people plod on.. All I am saying is until you live through it, dont' diss it, and maybe the people will surprise you...
edit on 26-5-2012 by vkey08 because: added

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus

Nah, I have 67 acres in the middle of Daniel Boone National Forest.... I'll get by

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Open-ended question:

When the SHTF, and 'Global [sic: U.S] Meltdown' occurs, what do you individual people actually think will happen? Assuming for worst case scenario (No money, no power, no telecomms - pretty much Mother Nature giving the Tecnological Age the big finger)...

What are we as a race gonna do?

1. Rebuild/fix, and maintain existing infrastructure at an attempt to regain status-quo-like conditions? Working together as a tribe-mind so that not only an individual's familiy may survive, but others too? Will the educated and able band together to work thanklessly for the rest of the people?

2. Descend into Anarchy - One could only speculate as to what degree... People say "leave the cities, hit the hills", and raise concern about 'anti-depressant fiending, gun wielding starving people' who would shoot first and ask names second if there was a tin of baked-beans to be claimed. Will the humanity fall to the survival drive of the individual?

Personally, I think there will be a movement toward 'Tribal' communities as per '1' after perhaps the initial 2-4 months of infrastructure failing; the ability to gather and sustain resources for highly-adjusted living would not be impossible, and with the right workforce and contributions, would be sustainable. The masses of '2's would either have to choose to thanklessly contribute toward reconstruction and have a share in the fruits tendered - or to carry on with barbaric nomaditity, hopping from food-source to food-source either individually or with a handful of others - whatever the balance is between 'Lone-Wolf Mentality' and 'Saftey in Numbers'.

Food for thought.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
as long as I can play Diablo 3 during all this, I will be fine

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by HoppedUp

I said that in jest.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Good thing I'm in Idaho- far from a city. Should be fine!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I live in Orange County which is LAs associated county. This is true, Southern California has one of the highest Anti-depressant prescription rates if not Alaska. This is probably because of the higher cost of living here.

One of the challenges not mentioned is our gang problem. When the police salary no longer sustains their previous standard of living due to hyperinflation, Gang related activity should skyrocket. However, we do see an increasing trend of the Law enforcement budget here as well. LAPD is hiring and so are the minor outlying city police departments.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I do not envision a scenario where electricity and technology are forever gone. It won't happen. I can see major interruptions that may last years for many people. The lights will come back on for many, and will probably never go out for some. I just don't see humanity devolving like that.

It is human nature to cooperate and organize. The sheer volume of knowledge found within a random group of 50 or 100 people is staggering (this could vary depending on where you are. I live in a place that is ranked the fifth most intelligent city in the U.S. based on population percentile with college degrees and some other factors. In Arkansas,lol, go figure. But along side the large number of college educated that we have here we have a large industrial and technology sector as well as farming, so we have a wide mix of knowledge. Pretty impressive for a city of 50,000, but not at all unique I'm sure. I could see the projects of LA not being so diverse with knowledge).

When money loses its' value some other form of exchange will take its' place. Bartering will of course be popular, but something will end up taking the form of cash. This has been the case all through history. The aztecs used cocoa beans and squares of woven cloth, In the SE US it was sea shells. Something will arise to peg the value of all things to, so that uniform trade can occur.

We do have silver and gold in circulation, as well as copper, lead, etc. All these things will have value and unlike consumables remain in their precious form even if made into something useful. Most households have a little silver and gold. I imagine a lot of the people on here have a few silver coins or bullion stashed away.

And what of the rich people, or the enterprising class? I expect they would do what they do. They'd take up enterprise. They'd need workers and would find a way to pay them. Many of the wealthy will not be worthless after a cataclysm. They keep gold and silver, they have resources like land, farms, cattle, industrial equipment.

This mad max scenario is in my opinion not likely at all. At worst I'd expect a period of turmoil before a resurgence.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Erectus

I agree and like your scenario, but add in to that mix a highly contagious bio problem, or radiation poisoning and things will be much sadder. There's nothing as bad as seeing your children dying first. Yes,there is, if you're dying first.

I believe in the human spirit and innovation first.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Yes, there will certainly be times of great chaos. The financial crisis of 2008 was one of those moments.

But the financial crisis of 2008 did not completely destroy us.

Neither will the next crisis.

I think it is helpful to think of what is happening to us as a series of waves.

The Economic Collapse is Not a Single Event

Although I do agree that it takes many different events to create a complete economic collapse, I do think that it could result in a catastrophic breakdown of all that we know.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmsuse
When the dollar collapses the Euro or the CYN will become the world currency.

Why do you think Europe is bailing out greece? it's not to save greece, it's to show the world europe will save the euro currency no matter what, to prove its a safe bet to become the new world currency.

If that doesn't work, the Chinese currency will.

America will be the only place that collapses. As it will be owned by China.

This is the MOST ignorant post I have seen.

First off, America is owned by Americans....Until and unless the second amendment goes bye bye that ain't gonna change..

That China and other places think that investing in the Federal Reserve Bank's fiat currency is worth anything aside from the paper it's printed on makes no matter.

Even if the US were to default, there ain't # anyone could do about it. We're the most armed populace in the world.

China IS heavily invested in the U.S. which means they won't let the world currency be shifted if they can help it, they stand to lose too much.

If the U.S. does collapse, EVERY nation in the world will collapse. How much of the world's GRAIN is produced in the U.S.

Time for you to go do some research.

The US could only benefit from a financial collapse. It should've already happened if we wouldn't have bailed out the damn failed banks.

The US is also one of the few nations that could prosper with some slight reworking of social structure without ANY outside support. We still have plenty of natural resources and the perfect balance of people to resources.

Jaden
edit on 5-7-2012 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I came to this site in 2005 and the dollar was about to collapse

yeah

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45

3. England- The Land of the Big Brother and former Empire of world wide slave and drug trade will suffer heavily. The stiff upper lip that their the British Elite ingrained into their sheeple will not work anymore as the British population explodes. The human character will sacrifice and unite for a foreign enemy,but not if the enemy has always been the Elite. The Anglo-American Empire may pull off another false flag to distract it’s population on another Emmanuel Goldstein like in 1984, but I feel this collapse will happen before they pull it off. This will make all eyes point at the British Elite as solely responsible for this catastrophe. We have seen massive riots for soccer matches with hooligans. What will happen when this island with very little food and fuel gets cut off?

I would not want to be on an isand, even of that size, with that many people. After the initial panic, they might stand a chance, being somewhat isolated on an island. This brings up another question to you, would you rather be in the U.S. or U.K. (if those were your only two choice) when the dollar collapses?

I think the stereotype "stiff upper lip" is a little bit of a stretch. That's like describing all Americans as trailer trash

I agree with a lot of the other assumptions though. One of the major problems with the UK is that we import so much. Whether it's energy or food - as mentioned - we are not self-reliant in any respect.

I also agree that social breakdown is the major issue for any nation when the $ collapses. However, that's why I believe so many countries are using temporary measures when it comes to the € too. I could use the "frog in boiling water" analogy, but I think you guys all get it. My belief is that they are propping up the € to facilitate a slow decline and avoid the shock, thereby avoiding the chaos and eventual revolution they would all be facing. It should be said that I still think that's coming.

The class war is a dead certainty IMO. We're already on the cusp of that right now with the complete disconnect between government and the people. In a SHTF scenario the rich would be on their boats and planes out of this country within hours. Those who didn't think it was going to be so bad - mainly because they are so detached from reality already - would be under attack. The capital would be burning. Symbols of wealth and government would be targets.

Ultimately, many of us expected the collapse to have really kicked in by now, and they keep coming up with new fantastical ways to keep their game going for a little longer. This shows that they have a lot of tricks up their sleeve and they won't allow the collapse to completely trigger in a natural way, they'll print more and more money and sink all nations together in the end, instead of facing the limited fallout.

It's the same as happened in the beginning with the banks. There would be a short period of chaos and instability if they had allowed capitalism to weed out the failures, others would have risen in their place and stability would have grown with confidence, then regulation could be implemented. Instead, they propped up failed and corrupt businesses, sending nations into massive debt. The prolonged to collapse instead of preventing it. That's what I believe they are doing across Europe; everything they can to keep the game going and control the collapse, making the wealthy even richer and the poor are footing the bill.

None of us know what will happen. But we do know that the € is going to fail, and it's likely that the $ will follow shortly after.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join