It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here Are The 5 Worst Places To Be When The Dollar Collapses

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by POPtheKlEEN89anywhere out of a metropolitan area will be relatively safe. Americans hunt, fish, and garden. We all have guns and know how to use them, we rely on our nieghbors and know them. The looting populace who don't know how to take care of themselves won't get far from their cities. Look at Katrina and New Orleans. I just feel sorry for the silly liberals in the cities who think they live with people who care about everyone else, they're going to get eaten alive.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Firstly, I notice all the results of the search say "when" the dollar collapses, and not "if" which in itself is a big eye opener.

I usually try to back up what I say with sources, links etc, but I think as many others do, that this thread is a good example of writing purely from your gut.
The way I have approached the broader picture (living in Ireland), is to take a look at how I and my family live their lives, in a rural area of Co Wexford.
To me, we are looking at the state / government / banks, being unable to fulfill any commitments to their populus in a worst case scenario. This is a sensible starting point, and makes you think. The following things have come to my mind in recent times:

1. Even in a crash situation, where you have a little or nothing coming in financially, the financial institutions are going to call in their debts. Take steps now to "simplify" or streamline your outgoings. In this way, more money can be pooled or saved now by virtue of paying less out. For example I sold the families second car to finance much of what I needed. In the future, this means no insurance, tax, or maintenance to be paid out on it. Win, win. Even looking at the "worthless trinkets" you have can provide a source of income if sold on.
2. Use any cash you save wisely, there may be little point hoarding or saving it, as its' value will plummet. Spend the free cash on items you think you will need to get you through the short / medium term. (A few examples below)

We will all need essentials:

3. Fuel: Work on electricity being scarce or not available. You can build a brick stove for next to nothing, sort of a BBQ contraption. Fuel in the guise of coal, and wood are a must. Whereas coal costs a bit, it produces more heat than wood. Wood can be collected out on a foraging mission! It is free and allowed as long as you don't go chopping trees down.
In the absence of household heating, an indoor fire or stove would be the answer. If you don't have one, getting one put in may be the answer. As long as one room in your house is warm, you'll manage. Blankets etc are essential as colder weather sets in.
4. In the event of food shortages, start to look to grow your own. It is relatively inexpensive, very rewarding, and can be done in the smallest of gardens or patios, conservatories and the like. Remember, food may become the new currency! If you have room, chickens are inexpensive to keep, providing meat and eggs.
5. Look at all the food we all reputedly throw away, find ways to eliminate this by utilising your freezer. Rather than too much fresh, look for more ambient, dried, long lasting food.
6. Water is a big consideration. If you are at risk of losing mains water, yes stockpiling is prudent. In the event of a real shortage, a simple filter can be made using gravel / sand, and then boiling the water over your newly built brick stove.
7. Community. One of the single biggest things you can start to do is pool resources. Many people have talked about looting, mercenary behaviour etc. I too am convinced that people will group together to support a common cause. The problem is how to broach the subject without sounding like a freak. I have had several conversations with local people and they are surprisingly responsive.
For example, my small bookshop / coffee shop now regularly trades items with local people. I have a lady who brings in fresh eggs three times a week, a man who brings in more veg than I can manage to use, and people who bring in used books. In exchange, I trade these items for things I sell in my shop. I even valet the mans car once a month in exchange for his veg! Everyone wins. It is scary how little we actually need money for everyday living if you think about it.
8. Foraging. I have done a bit of this, but take a trip around your local area, up to a certain radius. Make a note of what is out there and at what date. Besides the obvious fruit, berries, etc, there is a huge amount to be had for free. Decent books are available on the subject. Be very careful with things like mushrooms though!

Look, I am rambling, but yu get the idea. I am in no way trying to be patronising or smug, I just passionately believe that there is so much out there for free or very little.
There have been periods of our history where almost all of our luxuries we take for granted today, were not around; electricity, cars, internet! just start to think about how you would cope without them.
It's not about being Bear Grylls, it's just about being proactive and changing your mindset. It can be really liberating too, especially if you have small children who can help.

Don't shoot me! I just felt I had to chip in and try to remove some of the "smog" that might be blinding people.
Anyone feel similar?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
UK debt to GDP ratio is over 1000%. UK refuses to admit default so it didn't collapse.
USA debt to GDP ratio is over 101%. USA refuses to admit default so it too didn't collapse.

UK and USA are two monstrous corrupted bankers' countries that always divert mainstream attention to other nation's debt.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

really!!!! I live in CT and where were the looters when we lost power To the hurricane last year for a week then again to a freak snow storm around October for a second week! People were super nice! In one town I know of they opened the high school for people to get a shower and to feed them. I even durring the October outtage went tricker treating with my youngest sister, people had their generators running and were more than happy to see us! probably the last time in my adult life I will make out as good with the candy haul as I did, yes they were so happy even I got a sack full!

what You stereotype is the millionaire new englanders, not the typical poor folk, I grew up in this state with my 2 sisters and single ma on less Than 30k (a lot of people here are just hanging on cause everything is so pricey!$) not only do I know how to survive but I've also survived new England extreme heat waves and bitterly cold winters, I know if its cold out to stay dry and stay warm and if its humid drink water and hit the swimming hole! on top of that I can fight off sickness because lets face it, this is probably one of the most flu/fever/bug/germy hub of the world, no matter if tshtf situation came down to pandemic or power outages ect I say new England is your safest bet!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by POPtheKlEEN89anywhere out of a metropolitan area will be relatively safe. Americans hunt, fish, and garden. We all have guns and know how to use them, we rely on our nieghbors and know them. The looting populace who don't know how to take care of themselves won't get far from their cities. Look at Katrina and New Orleans. I just feel sorry for the silly liberals in the cities who think they live with people who care about everyone else, they're going to get eaten alive.

Here we go again with the liberal/conservative b*&&$#!T again. That sort of thinking is one of the reasons THEY continue to maintain a stronghold over the population. Some people just don't get it. And though it was veiled, I caught what you were saying. Most of us black AMERICANS do care about everyone else.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The great depression was a fairly large economic collapse and these things did not happen. It could be said that people were different back then, but it's because the foundations of the economy were still in place. A complete melt down like what is described here is probably less likely than many believe (though I keep several months of food and a box or two or ammo can or three of ammunition).

I simply don't see a dollar collapse alone having such far reaching effect. Some people will still go to work for whatever income it's worth. Probably more people than a person might think will go to work out of a sense of duty (nurses, doctors, civil employees, nuclear plant employees, etc). So long as any value is found in working, no matter how little, people will work in desparate times. What else will they do? Some, though, will not be able to afford to travel to work. Crucial sectors will have mandatory employee attendance. The military will step in. Fuel will be rationed to important services and industries like mass transit and food production. The government could forbid evictions, though I'm not sure they would.

We are a wasteful nation, but if forced to we can get by on far less than we do. Bicycles will become more popular than SUVs, people won't throw out leftovers, they'll eat more beans and less meat. Everybody with a square foot of dirt will be growing some kind of food.

A collapse of the dollar alone will not bring doomsday, just a miserable reality check for millions. What we should fear is the one two knock out of dollar collapse and large scale disaster (whichever one you like: quake, nuclear incident, meteor, etc.).

As for me, my family (uncles, aunts, mom, etc) has 60 acres in a family trust here in Arkansas, lots of guns, and a fairly substantial stockpile of food. My mom and her brothers and sisters grew up as country as can be imagined. The garden was plowed with mules, there was fresh cows milk on the table every morning. 60 acres, know how and a dozen and a half armed defenders is a survival recipe....I hope. So long as the government doesn't show up to confiscate the food.

You big city folks, suicide would be a humane way to end your suffering in such a scenario. Send your young good looking wives and daughters down here. We'll look after them.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Erectus

You are serious about the last part of your post or was that just for effect? You would advise people to just kill themselves over what could well be a minor and temporary set of circumstances?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Thank God I'm a country boy.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erectus
You big city folks, suicide would be a humane way to end your suffering in such a scenario. Send your young good looking wives and daughters down here. We'll look after them.

Possibly the worst advice ever given on ATS.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I'll either be in the shower or on the toilet. That where I am when I get an important phone call.

Why would the end of world be any different?

that brought a smile to my face, thx.

and lol @ the euro replacing the dollar, that will collapse before the dollar but i'm fairly certain only usable goods and services will be used as currency.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by FissionSurplus

What kind of statement is that?

Do you automatically assume that all city residents are vultures that will steal your food?

Where's the sense of community at this place?

From what I have read here, it's non existent. Guns are tools meant to assist you, not go-to devices to run to every time you see a human silhouette 500m out. What scares me more than roving gangs of more or less scared and hungry people, are the Billy Bad Butts who think someone who snatches a few peaches off their tree should be shot. What if it's a parent with a hungry child? What if they need medical assistance? Sure, I get defending one's own self, even with lethal means if need be, but some people here seem to have forgotten that people are going to need people. That "city slicker" that someone may clown and see in a negative light may be a veteran with extensive experience in water treatment, first aid, combat engineering, or ambush tactics. That random straggler that winds up on someone vast country farm could be a wiz kid with epic hacking skills that can manage to locate needed items or if need be, divert them to a more convenient point. It could be a grandpa with HAM radio skills and all his equipment in his truck. Some people need to check themselves before they become what they talk crap about. Not everyone is out to get you. Talk to some people who have been to combat situations. Even there, we helped those that needed help, and we often got something in return for doing so.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
What if...we did something really revolutionary and started teaching our neighbors to grow a few things for themselves, and we started providing our neighbors with their own plants?

Anyway, that's part of my plan.
Being the ONLY ones with any abundance is going to make you a sitting duck, no matter how much ammo you have. No man is an island.

I could not help but laugh at the image of every farm having people with guns inside. It's true or there would be no farm. Part of farming is defending your family from predators. We just failed to realize too soon that all the Cargills and Tysons and Bankers and Monsantos were predators in sheep's clothing.

I have someone 6 tomato cuke plants. They died. Gave him 6 more. They died. Then he came back later offering to buy some from me and said " I thought it was your plants so I bought some from Ace and they died too." Come to find out, he'd sprayed his garden spot with ROUND UP before he planted anything.

So today, he is paying me to put in a raised bed for him.

Our farmers are at the heart of our society. I don't give a crap what anyone on Wall Street says. We''ve got to move people to sustainable agriculture and quit dumping ROUNDUP on our farm land and all over our yards on a whim.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaughterOfARevolver
reply to post by The Sword

really!!!! I live in CT and where were the looters when we lost power To the hurricane last year for a week then again to a freak snow storm around October for a second week! People were super nice! In one town I know of they opened the high school for people to get a shower and to feed them. I even durring the October outtage went tricker treating with my youngest sister, people had their generators running and were more than happy to see us! probably the last time in my adult life I will make out as good with the candy haul as I did, yes they were so happy even I got a sack full!

what You stereotype is the millionaire new englanders, not the typical poor folk, I grew up in this state with my 2 sisters and single ma on less Than 30k (a lot of people here are just hanging on cause everything is so pricey!$) not only do I know how to survive but I've also survived new England extreme heat waves and bitterly cold winters, I know if its cold out to stay dry and stay warm and if its humid drink water and hit the swimming hole! on top of that I can fight off sickness because lets face it, this is probably one of the most flu/fever/bug/germy hub of the world, no matter if tshtf situation came down to pandemic or power outages ect I say new England is your safest bet!

You know I was just thinking that, I'm in CT as well, and I don't seem to remember one story of looting or civil disobedience (except people venting at CL&P, which unfortunately was not unwarranted...) during that outage....... We all worked together, we all got through it, yeah it was a P I T A to be sure but....

New Englanders have a hearty soul and we know how to make do with what we've got even when it's not much, I applaud the person above me, she beat me to it..
Viva New England!!!!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
What parts of America would be the best and worst, and why? I'm from South Dakota, where the winters are brutal, but there are plenty of resources. Plenty of open land, and not very populated. I think it would be a good place to be when SHTF if you are accustomed to the landscape and climate. A person could probably say that about almost anywhere, but soe places would undoubtedly be better than others to ride out the storm.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
We have gardens, allotments, land & natural water sources here in the uk, so we'll be able to live off the land quite comfortably. People managed to live off the land before consummerism, and we will manage again if necessary.

America doesn't look after it's own, so I expect it to get messy there if anything was to happen.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
There doesn't need to be a list of "the 5 worst places to be when the dollar collapses" , anywhere you are when it happens will be a bad place to be unless you are in a low population rural area where you can live off the land and be self suffecient.

If you are near any large urban area you can bet that your life will be in serious danger within days if not hours of the collapse. As soon as the masses that have no clue how to survive without Wal Mart or the 7 eleven you will be faced with a scenario that will make Mad Max look like a children's cartoon.

This is exactly why I chose to leave the Daytona Beach FL area and move to rural North Dakota to a community with 700 people in the town and just over 2500 in the county. Surprisingly many of the people I have met since moving here 8 months ago share the same thoughts as myself and many of you concerning what's to come. So you could say that I moved to a community where the large majority of its residents are preparing for bad times.

Its not a matter of IF the collapse happens but WHEN. At the rate we are going with the constant printing of money and spending like a drunken sailor it won't be long before we see massive financial collapse and civil unrest that will be horrific.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
My, nothing like an "alternative" website to find wallowing in doom and gloom....

OK, I have two questions:

1.) If things were to come to that, why would you even WANT to surivive?
What can you realistically look forward to?
It's not like you're going to live forever. So why even want to prolongue your existence if all you have to look forward to is fear of violence, famine, sundry infections and diseases, pain, etc. - and in the end you die anyway?

2.) What are your plans for WHEN the dollar - and the euro - do not collapse?
It's a perfectly serious question.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra

My, nothing like an "alternative" website to find wallowing in doom and gloom....

OK, I have two questions:

1.) If things were to come to that, why would you even WANT to surivive?
What can you realistically look forward to?
It's not like you're going to live forever. So why even want to prolongue your existence if all you have to look forward to is fear of violence, famine, sundry infections and diseases, pain, etc. - and in the end you die anyway?

2.) What are your plans for WHEN the dollar - and the euro - do not collapse?
It's a perfectly serious question.

1. Can't really say, except to try to protect friends and family

2. Continue working 70hr weeks

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4hero
We have gardens, allotments, land & natural water sources here in the uk, so we'll be able to live off the land quite comfortably. People managed to live off the land before consummerism, and we will manage again if necessary.

America doesn't look after it's own, so I expect it to get messy there if anything was to happen.

I think that's the point both DaughterOfARevolver and myself were making, we went through a situation that was pretty much a situation, no power, no services to speak of, and there was NOT ONE instance of violence, looting, bad behavior or the type of "messy" America you speak of... I mean people were angry and we did voice our anger at Connecticut Light and Power, but for the most part communities were running on almost no supplies and limited support for close to 2 weeks (and noone had any prep time to get a kit ready) and we all banded together as a cohesive unit, yeah there were a few people in my neighborhood that wouldn't go out and cooperatively figure out how to get through it, but they were ostracized and eventually fell in line...for at the very least being selfish jerks that wanted everyone elses stuff for themselves. (they would go around and try to steal wood and bricks and stuff form outside that they could use)

Heck in my neighborhood someone had a nice setup where they would bring the Radio out during the day and provide everyone with the continuing news of the issue...

It won't be as messy as you seem to think it will be... at least not in this area...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Thank you. I wasn't really asking you only, it was a general question to anyone who might be reading this thread, but it sure is refreshing getting a direct and honest answer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join