It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is your internet slow?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Most people do not realize that a web browser can significantly increase the speed of your internet. Most computer illiterate people use microsoft explorer but its one of the slowest browsers out. I found this cool test that will test your browser so that you can pick the fastest one for your computer. I am using waterfox (64bit version of firefox) and the score is 1724, on my computer.
peacekeeper.futuremark.com...
edit on 23-5-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

I use midori, it's super fast for me!
I'm taking the test, i'll post what it says when it's done.

It told me to take my computer in the backyard and shoot it.
WtF
edit on 23-5-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I have Fiber Op service, it's 60Mbs up, 60Mps down.

So no, no problems...ever

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Sounds expensive.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I've got the internet on DVD.

Try to beat that.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
2205 with Internet Explorer 9

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

I use midori, it's super fast for me!
I'm taking the test, i'll post what it says when it's done.

It told me to take my computer in the backyard and shoot it.
WtF
edit on 23-5-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

Dont use your browser while running the test. It will effect the score.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie

Try to beat that.

Lol, this reminds me of a idea I had when I was a kid. My mom would not let me have internet connection so I thought, what if you could put the internet on a DVD disk thats updated every week. Billions of terabytes on one dvd disk. Lol

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Just wondering, what do you use it for? How much is a 60Mbps connection

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I tried it several times and it kept glitching at the same point at the very end.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
2346 with Google Chrome...

Is that good?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Well I pay about 40$ a month for the service. I'm pretty sure it's like over 100$ for people new customers, but I've been with my telecom for years. The speeds are as fast as your hardware will allow basically.

Put it this way, I *acquired* all 3 Lord of The Rings in 1080p Blue Ray, about 20GB in 10-15 mins.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Outside of overloaded browsers and plugins, I believe the number one cause of slowed down internet is... *drum-roll* wireless internet and outdated hardware! That's right, but let's assume your router and modem are up to date, your Ethernet cables are working like a charm, what happens to wireless that can cause you to slow down?

Consider how standard WiFi has about 12-channels and a few things in between. Each wireless router takes up about 2-3 channels and it's also susceptible to other wireless devices such as cell-phones, cell-phone towers, cordless phones, microwaves, and thick walls / poor placement of the router.

What can you do about your WiFi channels? You can login into your router and to do so you can go to the command prompt and type in ipconfig /all to find your gateway address OR you could try something like 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1. Alternatively you could go on your favorite search engine and find out what it should be based off of your router's model number.

Once inside (and the password should be default something like user: linksys password: admin OR user: netgear password: password) or something like that. Again, search engine or technical manuals will help for this.

Now go into your wireless properties and find out where you can change the channel. Change it until you find a suitable channel that is speedy enough for you. You could test your speed using the internet speed test www.speedtest.net...

Personally to save time, I have an APP on my tablet that lets me scan for better wireless signals. I used to have a JAVA version of it on my PC but I'm a little bit angry against Oracle right now so I've long since deleted it (sorry). The APP was free on Android and lets you scan around what's the best signal and what other signals exist around your area. You can even scan for unlisted signals such as what your PC may not natively pick up.

Remember, if you're overlapping someone in a channel, the chances are, it will be a lot slower than the less recommended channels. Trial and error, and give it a whirl

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie

Try to beat that.

without wanting to panic the 7 billion humans on this planet but little do they know that the internet is actually running from my private network that i lease to the u.s. and several other superpowers for about a .0174cents / 30mins
edit on 7-7-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArrowsNV
2346 with Google Chrome...

Is that good?

Is that even possible on this test?

I got -

Results (Maxthon v3.4.2.3000) :

HTML5 Capabilities 6/7

All other browsers worked slower for me...

I was using an older version of Maxthon.

Here are the newest results (v3.4.5.1000):

HTML5 Capabilities 6/7
edit on 17-9-2012 by arpgme because: results for updated web browser

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Well thank you very much.

My computer crashed when I started running the test.

vvv

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I use Firefox and its the best with lots of addons functionality. LOVE FIREFOX very much.

new topics

top topics

join