It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The carrot (chicken or egg , vegetable version)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

LOL my head hurts too. I'm going to stop thinking and watch the nightly news instead.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
you know what they say, either god or evolution.
carrots must have evoluted from some ....nature germs?
important thing is they are good for you, and only 1 carrot can make a biiig glass of juice.(when you add water)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I'm fully aware I could be (or am definitely wrong) I was just throwing out there the things my mind comes up with at times. I question many things.

You see, I live alone with three cats and three birds so maybe I'm slowly turning into a crazy "cat lady" with 200 cats.

Nah, I just think a lot. Maybe too much. I've just never found a forum (or outlet) for expressing my opinions. All of my friends (except one) I wouldn't feel comfortable talking about "odd" things."

Thanks for reading (and whoever replies) my ramblings.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by apporro

I do enjoy carrots. Especially carrot cake. Mmmmm. As long as it has no raisins. Just plain old carrot cake with cream cheese frosting (banish the raisins please). Yum Eeeeee

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by ZIPMATT

a canabalistic monkey, how sad

lol

I'm not a d####d dirty monkey! I'm an ape!
(I've been waiting so long to use that line.)

LOL you have to admit, it is kinda funny that you are a ...umm... simian eating a carrot on this thread then you said something about it evolving from a monkey...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
God said "let there be carrots" and there were carrots and they were good... and he made a chef's salad with balsamic vinegar and chives

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Beldy

man never mind the carrot!

here's one that will blow your mind.

Kale, Cabbage, culiflower , and broccoli are all THE EXACT SAME PLANT. SAME SPECIES< SAME EVERYTHING.

When you are eating broccoli you are really eating a cabbage flower. when you are eating kale you are really eating cabbage leaves.

trippy huh?

evolution and controlled breeding can do amazing things. just look at what corn used to be.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

You mean they are all Brassicas , sprouts too .

Suttons or some other seed co . took me for a mug selling me a few paltry seeds called 'raab' .
" Like 'Brocolli' " < the words on the pack .

Its like 'rape' in fact , the yellow flowered oil seed . Rubbish . I wouldnt pay for a handful of those seeds , let alone just 150 , or whatever it was in the paltry pack . We used to burn on a farm which burnt off the spoiled part of the crop - a smell worse than 10 fields of the stuff .

They are putting sow by dates on big commercial seed packs now , when the never used to be . And , the seeds dont grow .

As for carrots , even the wild ones are nice to eat . The flowers (year 2) are large and beautiful . The seeds as easy as lettuce to grow > just let fly on good ground , any month in the uk , then feed feed feed , they can and will take more than most .

Its not as if stranger variants of veg are not consumable , but good husbandry has been highly valuable . I would have thought God allows for human , and vegetable , symbiotic? progress , since the declarations in genesis etc

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Beldy

Well, Beldy, I have three cats too, though I'm not a lady.

The story of how the food we eat was developed (I think that's the right word, on the whole) is a fascinating one. Wheat, corn and other cereals were wild grasses in their original state. The seeds were tiny, nasty-tasting and not especially nutritious (seeds, unlike fruits, did not evolve to be eaten). It took thousands of years to create the fields of golden, waving grain we now regard as commonplace.

Vegetables, too, have had a long history of development. Many of the leafy ones – cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower, etc., – are, as I said before, developments of the wild mustard plant.

Nearly all the vegetables traditionally found on Western plates are the result of intensive breeding during the last few hundred years. Most of them reached their present forms as a result of the British Agricultural Revolution. The same is true of the animals we eat: domestic cattle, swine and poultry are very different from their wild cousins.

In my country, we eat a lot of vegetables that may be unfamiliar to you. These haven't gone through the same intensive modern domestication process, but they are artificial for all that, being the products of thousands of years of farming during which the growers continually selected for size, flavour, colour, etc.

All the food we eat is artificial, apart from fish and some seafood.

Genetic engineering is not new; it is as old as civilization.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Well, I suppose the carrot, like any other vegetable would have 'evolved' in such a way to protect itself from 'predators' thus it grows underground... which gives it enough time to grow and given that some would not be picked or eaten, it would start to decay or sprout underground, thus forming , sprouting or seeding new baby carrots. Of course, we have messed with most veggies. I doubt the carrot as we know it today, is really a 'true' carrot. I'm sure I read somewhere that carrots were purple at one stage... Tomatoes too. My ex boss knows a chef that still has seeds of purple tomatoes, some old eggplant etc. Untampered with.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Thanks again all!

I admit I haven't read up too much on carrot (vegetable, plant, even animal) evolution. I should do more of that as I love to read almost anything. Sometimes I come up with my own opinion on things but the subject isn't quite interesting enough to me to research it more, if that makes sense.

I've been this way since a child. I remember my brother (who is 3 years younger)and I discussing things like infinity and God and how something could have been around with no beginning nor an end. Heck we were talking about that stuff when I was like ten and he seven or so.

Totally different subject but we were strange kids in some ways..

Thanks all for your input!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Some really ignorant creationist babble going on in this thread.

And really sad that people just think that their grocery store sprang into existence with the current choice of vegetables. All moderne day vegetables (As already mentioned) are not similar to their original form they had, when they were found growing wild in nature. They have been carefully selected to give the shape, color and flavor, that they have today.

But it is perfectly possible to go out there, find samples of the family, and then cultivate them over many generations, to get products that are similar to what we eat today. Same thing happened to dogs, livestock and maaany flowers.

Two pictures from a presentation I gave on flower development. First the ABC model which simply explains how select signaling pathways in developing tissue together form different parts of an Arabidopsis flower.

Second, two examples on mutations in single genes in Arabidopsis, and its effect on the development of its flower. Make sure to see the comparison to the other two species, and you see where this is going.

This thread.. *Sigh*
edit on 26/5/12 by Thain Esh Kelch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs
reply to post by Beldy

What you need is an evolution 101 course (or google). Who is claiming that carrots, turnips, apes, humans, or sea monkeys came from nothing? Things don't just suddenly show up. They change slowly over time and adapt to various environments. Carrots are one of numerous types of root vegetables that survived by getting most nutrients from the soil while keeping the goods protected underground from predators.
edit on 23-5-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

You are correct, except evolution does postulate it came from nothing. As originally we start with no life. We have life from no life, we have carrots which trace their lineage to nothing. Rather than say carrots came from nothing we give a long list of what they came from and don't touch the first one, which came from ... nothing.

So if things do not suddenly show up, where did life come from? seems to me you postulate life DID just show up.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
You are correct, except evolution does postulate it came from nothing. As originally we start with no life. We have life from no life, we have carrots which trace their lineage to nothing. Rather than say carrots came from nothing we give a long list of what they came from and don't touch the first one, which came from ... nothing.

So if things do not suddenly show up, where did life come from? seems to me you postulate life DID just show up.

Evolution doesn't suggest it came from nothing. Evolution is about HOW LIFE CHANGES, not how it got here. That's a separate concept. Come on, that argument has been destroyed thousands of times on here already.
edit on 15-6-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Things don't just suddenly show up. They change slowly over time and adapt to various environments. Carrots are one of numerous types of root vegetables that survived by getting most nutrients from the soil while keeping the goods protected underground from predators.

"Slowly over time"? You saw this, or someone else did??

Gee, I didn't know that predators attacked root vegetables - do the vultures then clean up the carcass??

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazarus Short

Things don't just suddenly show up. They change slowly over time and adapt to various environments. Carrots are one of numerous types of root vegetables that survived by getting most nutrients from the soil while keeping the goods protected underground from predators.

Gee, I didn't know that predators attacked root vegetables - do the vultures then clean up the carcass??

Is that seriously your argument? Try checking out the fossil record, specifically in regards to hominids. Predators don't only eat meat. There are plenty of insects that eat plants and vegetables. I'm not sure what kind of a half baked point you're trying to make here.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Is that seriously your argument? Try checking out the fossil record, specifically in regards to hominids. Predators don't only eat meat. There are plenty of insects that eat plants and vegetables. I'm not sure what kind of a half baked point you're trying to make here.

I'm just trying to remind you that "predator" is usually associated with meat-eaters. As usual, you glom onto the easy-to-argue issue. Did you see it or not? Answer, please.
edit on 6-7-2012 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Beldy

The carrot evolved, just like everything else on the planet

Oh, and regarding the chicken and egg thing, the egg was first because the chicken's ancestors laid eggs waaaaaay before chickens evolved.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by Beldy

Oh, and regarding the chicken and egg thing, the egg was first because the chicken's ancestors laid eggs waaaaaay before chickens evolved.

The carrot evolved - did you see this happen? Can I use your time machine??

The egg was first? What laid it?? Do tell.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by Beldy

The carrot evolved - did you see this happen? Can I use your time machine??

The egg was first? What laid it?? Do tell.

The ancestors of today's chicken laid eggs...so eggs definitely existed before today's chicken.

And I hope you realize there's tons of ways to figure out the past without a time machine

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join