It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Groups Concerned Over Arming Of Domestic Drones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Considering how things have gone for me lately, I'm sure this'll be moved to military & tactics, but we'll see.

The Federal Aviation Administration has allowed several police departments to use drones across the U.S. They are controlled from a remote location and use infrared sensors and high-resolution cameras. Chief Deputy Randy McDaniel of the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office in Texas told The Daily that his department is considering using rubber bullets and tear gas on its drone. “Those are things that law enforcement utilizes day in and day out and in certain situations it might be advantageous to have this type of system on the UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle),” McDaniel told The Daily.

Slippery slope anyone?

If you wish to deny that the police state is here already, fine. Can anyone argue with a modicum of common sense however, that it is well underway, and is trying to get it's foot in the door before extreme austerity measures happen over HERE?

source

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
They will use scare tactics to justify using these. The "I'ts For Your Own Safety" excuse won't fly when they kill someone by mistake or cause an airliner to crash and IMO, it's only a matter of time till it happens. How will they justify using one of these in a car chase? And don't think they won't use them that way. I'm betting the departments that have these see them as a great new toy. If they are pushing to arm them, you can bet they already have a scenario in mind to use them.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Wait until one of these rogue drones crashes and burns down a hospital building full of children or worse yet, crash into a school or something of that effect. Wait until one of these things malfunctions and crashes into airliners or helicopters. I just see lawsuits happening by the boatloads when and if they ever employ this measure they are thinking about.

This can only go from bad to worse.

edit on 23-5-2012 by Jaellma because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2012 by Jaellma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Infrared camera = I get to watch you in your bedroom or bathroom.

And since they are called "Government" you can't do anything about it.
Well, we could revolt, but we are too apathetic and too dependent upon our slavery to consider that.

Revolt has become a bad word in this society.
That should be a red flag in of itself.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I like this.

We all already live with a gun to our head. All it takes is an anonymous "tip", a queued drug dog, a crank phone call, a wrong address, a misspelled word or an uncrossed "T" or just somebody with a badge who doesnt happen to like you to kill you, to turn your life upside down, to confiscate all of your property and throw you in a cell.

At least with armed drones buzzing overhead there cant be anymore illusions about the hyper-militarized police-state we live in.

It's brushed off as the "cost of doing business" when an innocent man is locked up, when stormtroopers shoot your dog, when you're hauled away in the middle of the night because of a clerical error.

As well it will simply be the "cost of doing business" when a drone drops a bomb on your Sunday barbeque and the rest of the country will just carry on while your corpse burns.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I just have a real strong feeling that the guys who use these IR cameras to spy on everyone in the neighborhood are major perverts and totally psychologically sick.

I bet they even zoom in on couples doing private things, and say "hey guys look HAHAHA". So freaking sick that this is what our future is and what is most likely what is going on today even.

You will know I go crazy when I turn up the heater to 90degrees so that the house temp matches my body temp and blocks out any ability for them to see inside.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
If you were to take what we perceive as everyday life and turn that into one of those anime films, you would be hard pressed to spot a difference between an imagined police state future and what we have today.

This is the future. And we have been groomed t accept it. By the time we wake up, sadly it will be too late.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

Big Brother just keeps on getting bigger and bigger....

So what is the REAL purpose of unmanned drones in our country?

Oh that's right, it's for our "safety and security".

Well who's going to protect us from our own government? No one....

Say bye, bye to our freedom......hello police state.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Shoot them down, Jam them and make them crash.

Drones have no right or protection.

Microwave pulse cannon anyone?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

That is exactly my sentiments, People are forgetting that the government only power is the one we the people gives them withdraw that power and they are nothing.

That is why scare tactics are so essential when it comes to governance that is how dictatorship hold to power.

Scare the people to death and do as you wish, the problem is that eventually the population will end retaliating against the oppressor.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaellma

That's what I was saying. It's matter of time till it happens. Some hot dog thinks he's a Top Gun pilot and ...BOOM, there goes a bunch of innocent people. Of course, in their eyes, we're all guilty till proven innocent.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Shoot, I have one of these not even 3 miles from my house.

Eastern Gateway Community College Pin

So yeah, I might have a bigger dog in this hunt than most ppl.

But hey, by 2020 they want 30 THOUSAND of these things patrolling the skies.

But you keep believing it's "business as usual".

Pfftt.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

No disrespect intended, but these things are over half a mile off the ground, how you gonna shoot them down?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by schadenfreude

They take off and land don't they?

I don't own a gun that can shoot that high...

However:

As a Ham radio operator I understand how they work, and I wonder if they are part 15 compliant. Lets say if one accidentally flys into the beam of an experimental high wattage transmitter. It may not receive proper instructions from its controller. Not to mention RF has a funny way of making circuits go haywire. Then the damn thing may just fall out of the sky.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
R/C kits might be a good counter, so get 'em while they're still legal to purchase. Not necessarily that the signal would interfere with the drone's controls, but afaik most drones don't have any air-to-air capability. Probably not easy to do, but I don't see why $200 of nitro-engined toy couldn't take down $20,000+ of drone in a full-speed head-on run.

Alternately, CMOS and CCD sensors aren't really any more immune to lasers than anything else. In many cases they're more succeptable to laser damage than the human eye. Video camera's can't blink or heal themselves of minor injury.

I doubt either of those counters would be considered legal, but if somebody's threatening you with harm from above that's probably the least of your concerns.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
You can jam the radio transmissions from the UAV to the operator. This can cause the drone to crash if they do not have an autopilot option that comes on when the signal is lost.

Radio jamming is fairly simple given the right tools.

What you need to do is increase the amount of noise put onto a specific frequency, that way the channel will become cluttered and it will be difficult to receive clear signals.

The military probably uses very strong signals so I would anticipate needing a lot of power in order to pump out the amount of noise necessary to jam a military drone.

top topics

join