It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Probe Mars for Artifacts" Say Leading Astrophysicists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I found this to be an interesting article and perspective on an old problem. The search for ET Life. As the article notes:

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) has a low probability of success, but it would have a high impact if successful.

And indeed it would. However, physicists at ASU believe we need an additional approach. One that we're already using, but not to full advantage.

Physicists Paul Davies and Robert Wagner of Arizona State University argued last year that it makes sense to widen the search to scour the Moon for possible alien artifacts. At Penn State, researchers propose the same type of search for Mars. To date, SETI has been dominated by the paradigm of seeking deliberately beamed radio messages.

The ASU team argued that Alien civilizations may have sent probes to our region of the galaxy, and that any mission to the solar system would probably have occurred a very long time ago. The lunar environment could preserve artifacts for millions of years due to the absence of erosion and plate tectonics.

So basically, those who spend hours on NASA's site pouring through photos looking for ooparts are on the right track. The difference however, is that physicists would like to do it at a higher resolution, and widen the search. A lot.

Elswhere, two researchers at Penn State, are asking "why have we never found evidence of other civilizations in Solar System?" The team is approached the problem mathematically, which shows that we have not looked in enough places to ensure that no extraterrestrial artifacts exist in our solar system.

Even without actual contact, like us, other civilizations could be sending unpiloted probes to quietly peek at our civilization. These probes, like ours, would be small and might be hidden in a variety of places. In the asteroid belt they would probably go unnoticed, especially if these nonterrestrial objects are only 3 to 33 feet in size, weighing little more than a ton similar to our Voyager craft.

"Extraterrestrial artifacts may exist in the solar system without our knowledge simply because we have not yet searched sufficiently," said Haqq-Misra and Kopparapu. "Few if any of the attempts would be capable of detecting a 1 to 10 meter (3 to 33 foot) probe."

Black Knight Satellite anyone?

The moon and Mars have been searched to a small extent. An ongoing mapping project, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, is looking at the moon at a resolution of about 20 inches, so we may eventually be able to determine if there are no nonterrestrial objects on the moon. The researchers caution that surface maps may not be sufficient to distinguish between a space probe and a rock.

Hopefully, as our imaging technology gets better, that last sentence won't be as much of a problem as it is now.

I'm of the opinion, that while this is a great idea, how much will the public be informed of? Somehow, I just don't see NASA, or our governing bodies, screaming OMG! We found an alien probe on the Moon, or Mars, or the Asteroid Belt, through the MSM. And even if they did at some point, it could be decades after the fact.

Nevertheless, being able to search through a very hi-res surface map on "Google moon" or "Google Mars" has it's own appeal.

Source
edit on 5/23/2012 by Klassified because: title

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I totally agree with them but for all we know NASA may already be doing it , they do have a lot of hardware up there .
They also have Curiosity rover on its way .... I just hope they manage to get it on the ground in one piece given there's so much that could go wrong with the new landing system .

As for the Black Knight Satellite I do remember reading something about it years ago but you refreshed the memory ... thanks

Fact or fiction ?

Curiosity rover cameras

MastCam:
This system will provide multiple spectra and true color imaging with two cameras.[54] The cameras can take true color images at 1600×1200 pixels and up to 10 frames per second hardware-compressed, high-definition video at 720p (1280×720).

Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI):
This system consists of a camera mounted to a robotic arm on the rover, used to acquire microscopic images of rock and soil. MAHLI can take true color images at 1600×1200 pixels with a resolution as high as 14.5 micrometers per pixel.

MSL Mars Descent Imager (MARDI):
During the descent to the Martian surface, MARDI will take color images at 1600×1200 pixels with a 1.3-millisecond exposure time starting at distances of about 3.7 km to near 5 meters from the ground and will take images at a rate of 5 frames per second for about 2 minutes.[56][66] MARDI has a pixel scale of 1.5 meters at 2 km to 1.5 millimeters at 2 meters and has a 90-degree circular field of view. MARDI will have 8 GB of internal buffer memory which is capable of storing over 4,000 raw images. MARDI imaging will allow the mapping of surrounding terrain and the location of landing.

en.wikipedia.org...

Can't wait to see some of that high-definition video

edit on 23-5-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
We should get some more information on the Cydonia region on Mars. All those interesting formations in one place are at least worth a look around on the ground.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I suspect this is a phony setup to explore the Moon and Mars and find already knows evidence of intelligent manipulation.

Does this make sense? Science has here-to-fore went about this search for life business by looking light years away. But this new search suggested is not a search for existing civilizations, but artifacts. That is a safe way of saying we will be looking for signs of intelligent life.

If Mars has supported advanced life, then it is reasonable that they ventured to the Moon and left a few tracks if nothing else. But if they or any ET from elsewhere visited the Moon, than surely they would have come on to Earth. So shouldn't we check earth first for artifacts?Wait! Wait! that is what of us have been saying for decades?

What they are doing is taking the strange strategy of SETI: "Let's look out there," while ignoring UFOs and artifacts already known here and applying it closer to home. The are creating a scientific paper trail that will find evidence--surprise!, surprise!--for their rigged treasure hunt.

I feel confident in making such claims because I spent a lot of time going over the old Viking CD images taken by the Viking Orbiters of the moon Phobos. The mysterious grooves on Phobos are always hidden by NASA and ESA because they are too graphic in what they show. They represent evidence that that rocky body, originally an asteroid, was moved into its tight little orbit around Mars by intelligent manipulation. They know this already after a few years of studying the data.

The University of Arizona did much of the work to reveal the meaning of the grooves except the real meaning has never been released publically. It has been secret, on the back burner, waiting to be called forth, and this latest announcement about looking for signs of ET awfully close to home means that the science is being put into gear to eventually reveal results that they already have in hand.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

A very interesting perspective, Aliensun. I like it!

And it wouldn't surprise me a bit if you were right.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Just think...

What if 10 of the 100's of thousands of ufo reports were REAL ET craft/probes?

Imagine what it would be like to admit that ET is out there, somewhere? That all of these speculations and suspicions about life elsewhere aren't blowing smoke?

Who are they? Where do they live? How do they live? What do they believe?

There would be a list of questions that would go on and on.

None of us truly knows what that day will be like when we finally know for sure.

We may not live to see that day.

We haven't experienced it yet. We've only toyed with it.

But just look at how fearful somebody in one nation can be of another. Look at how much a western country will fear a country in the east. And these are countries with humans, not aliens.

I think in many ways we're aliens to each other.
edit on 23-5-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Nice work. Can you provide links to Google Mars and Google Moon? It could be fun to explore an odd part of Mars for an hour or two. Thanks.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Can you provide links to Google Mars and Google Moon?

They don't exist yet. But maybe if these physicists get their way, they will.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
so, it seems maybe good ol' Richard C. Hoagland might have been on the right track all along.

i think that there are, in all likeliness, artifacts (whether alien or otherwise) on the moon, and in my opinion there is probably a better chance of some such artifacts existing on Mars than the moon. largely due to my belief that Mars was possibly a sister planet to earth.

also, is it not fathomable that the ENTIRE moon itself is just that?
an artifact of a "greater" species. i read in Jim Marrs' work "Alien Agenda" that there was a time when there was no moon and ancient cultures indeed wrote about the sattelite simply appearing.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

They don't exist yet. But maybe if these physicists get their way, they will.

www.google.com...

www.google.com...

Note: These should not be used for serious research.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
It only takes one, indisputable artifact to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was once life there... or even life there now, no matter how microscopic. What should the artifact look like to be indisputable? How big? How complex?
for me, I think I'd have to see either something living that can be proven to not be from earth, ie, hitched a ride on the equipment or something not living such as fossilized animal remains beyond a single cell, preferably bone or fossilized tissue larger than just a few mm, perhaps at least an inch or two or hopefully much larger.
Can you imagine what kind of world it would open up? With our technology and our increasing knowledge, maybe it would be possible to re-establish an atmosphere and literally give birth to a new world, a new frontier.
Where would we draw the line as far as interfering? I feel it would be "ok" if the only life found is microscopic for us to pursue establishing an atmosphere and colonizing, but if there is any type of "intelligent life" (not likely), that would change the whole ball game.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Thanks DJW001.

Note: These should not be used for serious research.

Exactly my point. They don't exist yet.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Look here for the Moon and here for Mars.

They may not be as flashy as Google's, but they have direct links to the original high resolution photos.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

They may not be as flashy as Google's, but they have direct links to the original high resolution photos.

And, if I may ask, where are all of the tens of thosands of images--yep, that many--of Phobos.
...Not available to mere mortals that's where.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

10k a year for annual membership fee?!

Um, what the hell is up with that?!

Nor will they ever. Any cartographic application will alter the original data. If you find something of interest, get its latitude and longitude and go to the source images.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
And, if I may ask, where are all of the tens of thosands of images--yep, that many--of Phobos.

What is the source of that information? What missions took those supposed "tens of thousands of images"?

...Not available to mere mortals that's where.
Probably because they do not even exist.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
the only thing I really agree with in regards to alien artifacts are the probes.
I seriously have an open mind to the possibility that there is a robotic civilization or 2 out there,
remnant of long died out organic societies, and that they would send out probes into the universe, along with any other sentient race such as ours, the problem lies with distance, none of the probes would ever make it far enough
except robotic probes who's sole operation intention would be to search, and as a collective connected by one AI computer, would be potentially nomadic by nature, always on the move..if they evolved to that point unabated.

but the chances of that are .0000000001, possible, but unlikely for them to come across us. I hope.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

10k a year for annual membership fee?!

Um, what the hell is up with that?!

Nor will they ever. Any cartographic application will alter the original data. If you find something of interest, get its latitude and longitude and go to the source images.

Good point. And good idea too. But hey, one can always hope for much higher resolution, even if it does skew the original data a little. Archaeologist have found potential dig sites using Google earth. It would be awesome to have that good of a view of the Moon and Mars.

BTW. Where did that quote come from? I didn't say that.

edit on 5/24/2012 by Klassified because: btw

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Thanks Armap. I haven't been to either one of those. They'll come in handy.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It seems to me that the most likely alien artifacts might be disturbances to the natural terrain. Probably aliens wouldn't leave mechanical devices like the Apollo mission, but maybe they would dig unnatural looking holes to sample the rocks or something?

Also maybe aliens would put satellites into orbits around various planets and those satellites might be floating around somewhere millions of years later?
edit on 24-5-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join