It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one more suspicious of the police than actual crooks?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I mean with all the videos on You Tube and all the stories on the internet I find myself always on the look out for the police more than I am of some other threat. Anytime I leave my house my biggest concern is where the police are. If I see one of them at a distance behind me I get off the road before they can pull up on me and I stay off the road until they pass by. If I see one in a store I wait until they leave until I go in. In short anytime I see police anywhere I get away from them as fast as possible. Whenever I hear about one of them getting killed I'm not happy about it but my feeling is that's one less of those guys I have to worry about.

On the other hand I never worry about getting mugged, robbed, car jacked or anything like that. It just never happens or even comes close to happening. You might say that is because the police are doing such a great job I don't have to worry but I never lived in a high crime area to begin with and I have been here for over 20 years. However I have noticed the police getting more aggressive and more militarized in my area over the same years for no good reason. My one experience with something close to an actual crime was when a store clerk called the police because a customer was making threats and screaming. After the police came she was more afraid of them than the person that was making threats. It seemed like the cops were angry that they had to respond to a call where they didn't get to shoot anyone.

I know it sounds crazy but I was just wondering if anyone else thought the same way or is seeing the same things.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
when bush set up gitmo and allowed torture this set the precedent for the police to abuse their authority and know it was ok cuz the big guys are doing it so can we

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
In my personal experience... it depends on the area one lives in.

I used to live in a very wealthy town where everyone was well off. And I'll admit, I felt apprehension around those officers. But only because they had almost NOTHING to do. So they looked for problems - whether that be someone going 5mph over the speed limit, or someone jaywalking. But I remember always having to be on my guard, regardless of what I was doing, because they were out looking for someone to mess with.

Now I live in a more dangerous area. And I have to say, I have much more respect for the police here. These officers have things to do. They work constantly and have to be vigilant at all times - not because they are looking to fill their quotas, but because they actually have to deal with dangerous people. And since I'm not one of those dangerous people... I have no apprehension about officers in my new town. I'm grateful for the work they do, and I'm proud that they put their lives on the line to protect people.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It is not just you that feels like this, it is too easy to get involved in an incident, Guilty or Not, that could cost you your life.
Not professional, or, honest enough generally, with all the bad stuff that they do, how often do you see a policeman making a report against other officers that helps a victim of police brutality.
It is incredibly rare, those police officers that have done that, i would defend in a life and death situation, the rest, basic pond life, and it is a big pond.
They are supposed to have more integrity and basic honesty than the criminals they chase, unfortunately, something has got lost in the translation, maybe the moment a power seeking retard is given a gun, and, power to kill people with impunity, they feel they can.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by cybro

No. I feel the same way. At least the criminal is honest and isn't given a monopoly on legal violence.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by xFloggingMaryx

Yes I agree with this.

Cops had nothing to do where I am from but chase around 2 white kids who were walking around most days.

click beep (I hear that dreaded cop radio sound) "that's them." I heard someone say behind me. I could feel a car aproaching from behind as 3 more crept around 2 sides of the mall and one from across the road...

I was questioned for 20 minutes about me walking, where was I going, where did I come from. This happened a lot to me so even though I was "walking dirty," I knew there was nothing to worry about.

I mean one time they stopped me and the guy calls for backup. I'm only going to the circle K (convenience store) to get some snacks. So I am waiting by the front of his car in his headlight "where he can see me."
To my surprise 8 cops cars came screaching down the highway zooming into spots behind the first car...
I was WALKING.. The first guy made 4 of the cars leave...

Now where I live they hardly even bust parties, and there is like 0 crime. They have nothing to do really, but either I'm older and know how to live without cops in my face, or they just don't really sweat the small stuff, I don't really know.

I like some cops... now...
But back in the day (ie my whole life until the last 2 years) I have hated, feared, and loathed the cops... Especially when walking through "blacker" neighborhoods. Maybe they thought I was a drug dealer walking around with my backpack on? Without a car a backpack is good for groceries... In any case they were always trying to charge me with random things, like jaywalking, or trespassing, or whatever... Yea trespassing the street is a crime, no?

I swear if I wasn't white I would be in jail right now.
edit on 5/23/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join