It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you afford to retire?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
I'm approaching 47years old and I'm more or less retired.

Went through the unemployment thing during the Thatcher years - did various bits and bobs to try and earn a shilling or two.
Managed a couple of betting shops before getting a job in a local multi-national owned factory.
Started in the worst job in the factory and about 18years later when I left I was in a relatively senior role.
I then worked as a Production Manager of a factory a few hundred mile away from where I live.
Got sick of the travelling and decided to get my own pub eventually getting a second one.
Gave the pubs up after a three years or so and now very happy doing as little as possible.

During all those years I worked doors on and off and at one time had my own security firm.

I retain an interest in one of the pubs I had and still work the occassional door and have a couple of other minor business interests that combined help pay the bills and give me some beer money etc.

I thoroughly enjoyed most of working life, even if it was hard graft at times.
It was challenging and demanding.

I always worked hard, and played a damn sight harder.

But I enjoy my retirement even more.
Certainly haven't got the disposable income I used to and I've had to cut back on quite a few things, but the quality of life is far better - and I still get to have a few beers and the odd blow out.
And have so much more time to relax and spend time with my grandson.
I have got an allotment and am starting an Open University course so I have plenty to occupy myself with.

If I wanted to maintain the lifestyle I had previously then there is no way I could afford to retire, things are sometimes tight and at times I've considered another pub or expanding some of my business interests but at the moment I'm enjoying things as they are.

I may go back into regular work at some point, but It would have to be something that really appealed to me on many levels.

Freeborn
Sounds like you have worked hard all your life and you might be without a few things but your happy and thats what matters in the end..
Plus you have the resources and knowledge if you do decide to go back to work you will do fine..Your only 47 years old your still young..The Open University course will be fun and keep you busy i should do something like that

peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I went through puberty in my teens.
At this rate there is a chance I will go through poverty in my 60's and beyond.
Doing my best to make that not happen. Odds are 50-50 at the moment.

spacedoubt
I went through puberty in my teens also and it wasn't fun i wouldn't want to go through it again yuck..
I hope you don't go through poverty in your 60's i wouldn't wish that on anyone maybe you need to start having a plan for your future
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Plus you have the resources and knowledge if you do decide to go back to work you will do fine..Your only 47 years old your still young

Alas life experience counts for very little nowadays and at 47 years old I am considered positively ancient in the employment world.
Too many naive graduates who can quote textbooks etc but know absolutely nothing about life and people, but I guess that's the way of the world - I should know that as I was a part of it - but to be honest I did try to maintain a level of integrity.

Mind you, sometimes I feel ancient when I'm on the doors - I don't do it as often as I used to and I can't see me continuing for much longer - but you get some great laughs!

If I ever do go back to work it will be either to run another pub, but it would have to be a Freehouse and that takes a lot of money, or in some role that I felt that I was doing something positive and challenging and not just pulling a wage.

Obviously the OU course will help me there, I'm really looking forward to it and have more or less planned my degree out, but nothing is set in stone and things could easily change over the length of time it takes to gain my degree.

I really enjoy my allotment, never thought I'd see the day but the peace and quiet is great, but days like yesterday can be very exhausting.

I don't get to go roaming around Europe as much as I used to or even go to as many concerts and festivals etc but all in all I can't complain - and I do get to see lots of my grandson!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I don't know of any real good ideas other than retail for a retiree.Like a hardware store,a super mega store,things like that where you are there to help people.
I know a bunch of old dudes(no offence intended)who are handymen and go around fixing and remodeling.
But each has his/her own skills and experience to bring to any table.

I'm 47 now,in 10 years I can retire on a nice pension.I got that because I chose a career and stuck to it I guess and dodged the fall out of the economy.

Almost everyday I see the results of that and the effect it has on those from an older generation.
But,they are a tough bunch,those from the "greatest" generation and they survive.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Hey,man,the 40's are the new 20's,haven't you heard?
I don't feel old,nor do I consider myself old by a long shot.
Sure ,my hair is falling out and turning grey,but I'm pretty much that 20 something from years ago.
Just a little wiser and not as daring.
Just a little more cranky.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join