Colin Powell Balks at Endorsing Obama

page: 1

join

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I have always have had deep respect for this man.
I think he has been often used the the overall of politics.

Here he is speaking on his own. WOW
What are your thougts?
cheers ljb

(UPDATED) | The Moderate ...
themoderatevoice.com/147760/colin-powell-balks-at-endorsing-obama/comment-page-1/

23 hours ago ... Former Secretary of State Colin Powell said Tuesday that he's not ready ... Romney's “real” conservatism — but, in the end, conservatives will vote ... could make me reconsider my current decision not to vote for Romney (not ...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This man lost all respect when he went to the UN banging the war drum for Dubya for Iraq. A man of honor would have said "this is totally bogus, no way".

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malynn
This man lost all respect when he went to the UN banging the war drum for Dubya for Iraq. A man of honor would have said "this is totally bogus, no way".

Hi mal
I don't see it that way. I could be wrong but I think he was played just like the rest of us. He balked up against that too if I remember correctly.
cheers ljb

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

“I don’t want to throw my weight behind somebody,” Powell, who endorsed Obama in 2008, said on NBC’s “Today Show.”

So, he is unlikely to endorse either candidate this time. This would be a big story if he endorsed Romney instead of Obama, but at this time he seems to be neutral. Likely due to being friends with both candidates.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

Yes, I do remember hearing something about him changing his mind on Iraq or whatever. It's just too bad he didn't come to that conclusion before he went to the UN as a "respected" man to make that case.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

“I don’t want to throw my weight behind somebody,” Powell, who endorsed Obama in 2008, said on NBC’s “Today Show.”

So, he is unlikely to endorse either candidate this time. This would be a big story if he endorsed Romney instead of Obama, but at this time he seems to be neutral. Likely due to being friends with both candidates.

Hi kap,
Not sure. I was kinda hoping he was actually going to dis both of them.
Hopefully we will hear more soon?? No matter what it does not help Barry at all.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Respect for this man??? Are you kidding me? He is a died-in-the-wool neocon who went before the UN and lied through his teeth to support Bush's bogus war with fake evidence. I hardly think Obama is in need of a republican neocon shill's endorsement.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Even though Powell broke with party lines and supported Obama in 2008, a bigger headline should be "Colin Powell balks at Endorsing Romney", who would be the GOP candidate.

If a former Sec State and chairman of JSC thinks Romney is short on foreign policy, I'm thinking he would be qualified to say so, which he has in a recent interview.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Respect for this man??? Are you kidding me? He is a died-in-the-wool neocon who went before the UN and lied through his teeth to support Bush's bogus war with fake evidence. I hardly think Obama is in need of a republican neocon shill's endorsement.

Hi blac

I know this is dated. But do you think you could give a short opinion as to why this has changed.
You and Malynn claims his speech at the UN was his bad.
I always thought he was just lied to by the Bush administration so he would endorse them.
Maybe he was swooned for Condy. lol
Can you think at all that he was used badly.
Just askin

Powell Media Mania
www.fair.org/index.php?page=1344

After months of intense media hype about Colin Powell, pundit Joe Klein carried the ... "Even by the standards of modern media excess, there has never been ... the grinchism of the Republican right to the mushy waffling of President Clinton. ... issues, Powell

Mesmerized by Colin Powell's "stature" and "civility," and showing a remarkable disdain for "ideas," the news media pumped up Powellmania. As early as 1994, Newsweek (10/10/94) was asking the question "Can Colin Powell Save America?" and declaring him "the most respected figure in American public life." Such superlatives were routine in coverage of the Powell boom in the fall of 1995, with journalists regularly treating the former chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff as the personification of integrity.

Early last year, Time magazine (3/13/95) helped set the tone by dubbing the retired general the "ideal candidate" and "the perfect anti-victim, validating America's fondest Horatio Alger myth that a black man with few advantages can rise to the top without bitterness and without forgetting who he is."

As Powell seemed poised to enter the 1996 presidential race, he took on near super-human qualities, while others were just faded mortals. Time (8/28/95) depicted Jesse Jackson as having grown "older, paunchier and less energetic," but described Powell as "the Persian Gulf War hero who exudes strength, common sense and human values like no one else on the scene."

Powell resembled no one so much as the media's last big crush: Gov. Bill Clinton, circa January 1992.)

cheers ljb

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
He resigns from his position with the Bush administration.

He jumps the party line and endorses the Democrat Obama in 2008.

Now, he "balks" at endorsing Obama.

Why should we give a crap what he thinks? He seems to go whichever way the wind blows.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
He resigns from his position with the Bush administration.

He jumps the party line and endorses the Democrat Obama in 2008.

Now, he "balks" at endorsing Obama.

Why should we give a crap what he thinks? He seems to go whichever way the wind blows.

Thanks night,
This is what I would like to understand.
He was the POSTER boy for a way long time. Golden Man if you will.
If I am not mistaken, he was campaigned by both parties as an awesome (hate to go here) Black Man.
Sure he has some attachment to his benefactors dem and repub.
BUT what he is alluding to here is IMO- Non Allegiance albeit murky to either.
But he still wants his perks.
I honestly think he has realized that it is just one BIG FAT COUNTRY CLUB and he wants the bennies but not the dues.
just sayin cheers ljb

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I don't understand why he would be expected to support President Obama. Is it surprising that one of Bush's war generals wouldn't support a democrat? Why is this surprising?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

I don't understand why he would be expected to support President Obama. Is it surprising that one of Bush's war generals wouldn't support a democrat? Why is this surprising?

If you have been reading my post you would know that he was also a Democratic Poster Boy.

Lest you-all forget

THIS IS A REAL MAN, not some snot nosed politician.

Colin Powell Biography -- Academy of Achievement
www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/pow0bio-1- Similarto Colin Powell Biography -- Academy of Achievement

Powell earned an MBA at George Washington University in Washington, DC, and after being promoted to major, won a White House fellowship. Powell was assigned to the Office of Management and Budget during the administration of President Nixon, and here he made a lasting impression on the Director and Deputy Director of the Office: Casper Weinberger and Frank Carlucci. Both of these men were to call on Powell when they served as Secretary of Defense and National Security Advisor, respectively, under President Ronald Reagan.

Powell was commissioned a second lieutenant in the United States Army, and was one of the 16,000 military advisors dispatched to South Vietnam by President Kennedy in 1962. In 1963, Lieutenant Powell was wounded by a punji-stick booby trap while patrolling the Vietnamese border with Laos. He was awarded the Purple Heart, and later that year, the Bronze Star. Powell served a second tour of duty in Vietnam in 1968-69. During this second tour he was injured in a helicopter crash. Despite his own injuries, he managed to rescue his comrades from the burning helicopter and was awarded the Soldier's Medal. In all, he has received 11 military decorations, including the Legion of Merit.

Is he finnaly sick of both PARTIES??
i hope so ljb
edit on 5/23/2012 by longjohnbritches because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
[quote
i hope so ljb

If so it is time he ran for President. We could use a good 3rd party candidate to shake it up.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by longjohnbritches

i hope so ljb

If so it is time he ran for President. We could use a good 3rd party candidate to shake it up.
edit on 23-5-2012 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
[quote
i hope so ljb

Yes Sir with Paul Bazinga.
Now you have Dignity and Backbone. Experience and Intelligence intertwined.
We need Paul to run Independent. Great Idea. Now how do you sell it??LOL
Cheers ljb

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Ah ha I knew there was a good reason for my man not backing the LEAKER.

top topics

join