It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison inmates or disposable slaves?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
www.winknews.com... /Lawsuit-alleges-toxic-exposure-at-prison-in-Fla

Story about guards and workers suing prison system, how about the inmates doing the work?

The Federal Bureau of Prisons in 1994 began using low-paid inmate labor to recycle computers and other electronic gear to extract gold and other valuable materials at Marianna, about 60 miles west of Tallahassee. Three years later, the bureau began expanding the program to other facilities in New Jersey, Kansas, California, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Texas and Ohio.

"We absolutely know that they knew they were poisoning these people," she said. That includes current and former inmates. They aren't included in the lawsuits because federal law imposes stricter legal requirements on prisoners, the lawyers say. They first must go through a multistep grievance process and the law limits lawyer fees and awards.

edit on 23-5-2012 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

I remember the outrage in a documentary of how bad it was in China at places like this, I just don't understand I guess !
edit on 23-5-2012 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

Either I put this in the wrong forum or no one cares and I guess that would explain it to me.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It's ok it's a great read.... Let me fix the link for you here:

Lawsuit alleges toxic exposure at prison in Fla.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

They do use prison workers as slave labor. That's kinda the deal those that broke the law in such a way to be in a prison delt themselves. I know, not everyone in a cell deserves to be there. The system is so bloated, it can't keep up all the time. That, in itself, is it's own topic. But yeah, they use prisoners to do labor. Shawshank Redemption (though fictional) is an excellent example of just how corrupt a prison system can be.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I think this has been going on for a very long time (as the member pointed out above). And I would think that the amount of corruption has become like an every day event that is now (or has been) a mainstay piece of work or operation.

I also believe that the upper tiers (TPTB) know about it, but turn a blind eye as is done so many times with anything that is an institution. Cheap labor equates to lower budget costs and bigger profits (for someone).

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

An update or in the news today, well at least a website: www.classwarfareexists.com... website & story

37 States Allow Corporations To Get Rich Off Prison Labor - See more at: www.classwarfareexists.com...

But with any easily disenfranchised group (and prisoners might be the most disenfranchised in the country, almost by definition), the opportunity for exploitation and abuse is extremely high. The probability of abuse becomes even higher for a group of people typically perceived as “deserving” of it. Prisoners fit that bill nicely. - See more at: www.classwarfareexists.com...

At least 37 states have legalized the contracting of prison labor by private corporations that mount their operations inside state prisons. The list of such companies contains the cream of U.S. corporate society: IBM, Boeing, Motorola, Microsoft, AT&T, Wireless, Texas Instrument, Dell, Compaq, Honeywell, Hewlett-Packard, Nortel, Lucent Technologies, 3Com, Intel, Northern Telecom, TWA, Nordstrom’s, Revlon, Macy’s, Pierre Cardin, Target Stores, and many more. - See more at: www.classwarfareexists.com...

All of these businesses are excited about the economic boom generation by prison labor. Just between 1980 and 1994, profits went up from $392 million to $1.31 billion. - See more at: www.classwarfareexists.com...

I could quote the entire article, a good informative read. His closing:

We are building an unethical and unhealthy economic system that is further destroying our country’s workforce and shifting it over to underpaid, abused prisoners. That system has a strong incentive to keep jails full and criminals locked away for exorbitant sentences. If we continue to do nothing, the problem will only grow. Unfortunately, the stigma that being in prison means you deserve whatever comes your way has supported of this dangerous system and given politicians and businessmen political cover in further enriching corporate interests at the expense of everyone else. - See more at: www.classwarfareexists.com...

Have heard complaints about immigrants taking your jobs and jobs going over seas, does anyone care that,

One out of every 100 American adults is behind bars. That’s more than 2.4 million people who have been taken out of the workforce and had their rights legally stripped away. That’s a lot of potential exploitable workers for a corporation to use. - See more at: www.classwarfareexists.com...

Where have all the people gone? Long time passing. Where have all the people gone? Long long time ago?
edit on 16-11-2013 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous
Rather than starting another thread on this subject I will keep adding to this one, at least I can track the stories.
PBS Frontline doing a couple of good stories...
PBS Frontline
locked up

With extraordinary access, award-winning producer and director Dan Edge (Inside Japan's Nuclear Meltdown, Kill/Capture, The Wounded Platoon) takes you to the epicenter of the raging debate about prison reform. Solitary Nation, airing April 22, brings you an up-close, graphic look at a solitary confinement unit in Maine’s maximum security prison. Prison State, airing April 29, follows four residents of a housing project in Louisville, Ky., as they cycle in and out of the state’s jails. Both films offer raw and unforgettable firsthand accounts from prisoners, prison staff and people whose lives are forever altered by this troubled system.

Must be this big business has the best anti PR firms?
No one talks about it, is it they deserve it thoughts?
Think again and read about it, the system is broken.
This is not JUSTICE for victim (if there are any) or offender?

new topics

top topics

join