It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 Shrimp Season???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Well I have made 2 trips one to Empire LA and the other to Grand Isle LA to pick up a load of shrimp for a local processor. Well Today I am on STBY for a run and I called for a status update and was told that the Outlook for the 2012 season doesn't look good.

One of the docks we haul from in Grand Isle said that they are starting to see the results from the Oil Spill and it doesn't look good. Low catches and deformities on a level they said "may wipe out commercial Shrimping in LA".

A few days ago my dad was fishing in Bay St Louis MS and he caught several species of fish everyone he caught had lesions on them. I wanted to take pictures of them but he had froze them and was giving them to DMR.

I have said from the beginning it was a mistake to use dispersants. Now we will see the results.

Right now it seems a large renewable natural food source has been virtually been wiped out.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I knew in my heart and soul that the BP disaster may be an Extinction Level Event. I never thought it would happen overnight. The Corexit they dumped will find it's way into 40% of the worlds sea food. Add to that the radioactive fish swimming past Japan and I think it is not a far off shot to say that humans may have pissed away about 40% of all our edible foods. Entire populations will starve in the next six years.

I ate a wonderful freshly caught Northern California Salmon the other night though that was gorgeous and incredible tasting. Some people will have good food others will be forced to eat poison. The poorest folks eating the poison of course.....

What do I know though.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Its really sad that we allowed BP to poison the GOM. Not with the Oil (its natural) but with the dispersants. Oil has always leaked into the GOM. Yes the spill was tragic but nature would have cleaned itself up. When BP began using emulsifying agents many said it would kill the marine life in the GOM. Well it looks like they were right.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
I knew in my heart and soul that the BP disaster may be an Extinction Level Event. I never thought it would happen overnight. The Corexit they dumped will find it's way into 40% of the worlds sea food. Add to that the radioactive fish swimming past Japan and I think it is not a far off shot to say that humans may have pissed away about 40% of all our edible foods. Entire populations will starve in the next six years.

I ate a wonderful freshly caught Northern California Salmon the other night though that was gorgeous and incredible tasting. Some people will have good food others will be forced to eat poison. The poorest folks eating the poison of course.....

What do I know though.

Extinction level event means we all die. You really see that from this? There are no radioactive fish swimming around Japan.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This article says that the season is off to a slow start and that some have found deformed shrimp but that most are happy with big beautiful shrimp. The connection to BP is bandied about but no firm connection is made.

www.houmatoday.com...
edit on 23-5-2012 by karen61057 because: to add linky

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

You could not be more wrong. There are tons of problems down there. Corexit dissolves the binders in the oil. They are the very same binders that hold people together.

As for it being a ELE event? Take 40% of the worlds food off the plate and watch what happens......... The oceans are screaming, The gulf is screaming and they are finding fish with lesions and many of the same issues that they are finding in the gulf.

That you state no connection has been found between Corexit and what is happening in the Gulf is IMHO utterly odd..........

People did say this site has plenty of paid spokespeople though.......
edit on 23-5-2012 by Mamatus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I absolutely lovvvvvve shrimp. However when BP decimated and desecrated the area I stopped buying any, mainly because where I live our system does not identify where our food comes from. Too many people getting sick in the Gulf area, too many lies covering up the truth makes me very wary as a consumer ever since then.

I feel for those commercially affected by this, and I hope they all will be adequately compensated. However I will not be purchasing any more. I was saddened to see that Louisiana has the highest rate for blood poisoning and kidney disease in the US. link

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

I was going to post a thread this morning about the AWESOME oysters I ate from the Apalachicola Bay last night. They were finally back to the good oysters we were used to. They were a little salty due to the drought in Georgia, but still very good oysters.

I've eaten Sheepshead, Mackaral, Flounder, and Mahi caught just off shore here, and they were all great, and I've eaten oysters.

This doesn't mean I'm not concerned. I've said from day 1 that the main effects would not be apparent for 5 to 20 years. If the shrimp population is low, then a lot of stuff depends on that shrimp, and it will devastate right on up the food chain.

The full scale of this disaster is only just starting to become apparent.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I was part of a projects research that went into this article by Dr Ott.

Bio-Remediation or Bio-Hazard? Dispersants, Bacteria and Illness in the Gulf

As far as the mutations.......its a DNA change.........

I am 100% convinced that some type of microbe was introduced to the Gulf.

I also believe that this organism was created in a lab owned by BP………….

Unfortunately our research was stopped before we could identify the microbe………

edit on 24-5-2012 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
chalk up another disaster to corporate greed. i won't eat shrimp and i feel bad for the people also, that earn a living fishing the gulph. corexit is deadly toxic and if you can find early documents from the EPA, they agreed with that statement, only they pulled all that and replaced with "updated corexit data" go figure.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Here is good place for those who want to chase a rabbit down its hole...........

Be careful for there is a rattle snake inside.........

BP and Synthetic Genomics

I am sure you can find threads here on ATS concerning this topic...........Good Luck..

edit on 24-5-2012 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
add to this the radiation from japan which is stupid dangerous...not many clean areas left

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
run forest run!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
there should not be a 2012 shrimp season, not in this place anyway, they should first clean it up then wait 40 years.

new topics

top topics

join