It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Gay cure' psychiatrist apologises for flawed study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

In 2003, Robert Spitzer, while at the New York State Psychiatric Institute, published a paper in Archives of Sexual Behavior concluding that "reparative" therapy – which can include aversive conditioning and spiritual intervention – could change sexual orientation.

In 2003 this doctor performed some National Institute of Health-funded research; the abstract for the research publication can be found here, but I will include it below:

Position statements of the major mental health organizations in the United States state that there is no scientific evidence that a homosexual sexual orientation can be changed by psychotherapy, often referred to as "reparative therapy." This study tested the hypothesis that some individuals whose sexual orientation is predominantly homosexual can, with some form of reparative therapy, become predominantly heterosexual. The participants were 200 self-selected individuals (143 males, 57 females) who reported at least some minimal change from homosexual to heterosexual orientation that lasted at least 5 years. They were interviewed by telephone, using a structured interview that assessed same sex attraction, fantasy, yearning, and overt homosexual behavior. On all measures, the year prior to the therapy was compared to the year before the interview. The majority of participants gave reports of change from a predominantly or exclusively homosexual orientation before therapy to a predominantly or exclusively heterosexual orientation in the past year. Reports of complete change were uncommon. Female participants reported significantly more change than did male participants. Either some gay men and lesbians, following reparative therapy, actually change their predominantly homosexual orientation to a predominantly heterosexual orientation or some gay men and women construct elaborate self-deceptive narratives (or even lie) in which they claim to have changed their sexual orientation, or both. For many reasons, it is concluded that the participants' self-reports were, by-and-large, credible and that few elaborated self-deceptive narratives or lied. Thus, there is evidence that change in sexual orientation following some form of reparative therapy does occur in some gay men and lesbians.

Now, some 8 years later, an admission comes to light....

In a letter published in the same journal this week, Spitzer speaks of the "fatal flaw" in his study: the impossibility of telling whether his interviewees had genuinely changed sexual orientation.

"I believe I owe the gay community an apology for my study making unproven claims of the efficacy of reparative therapy," he writes.

Perhaps we need to include some continuing educational credits for these medical professionals that demonstrates how much a narrow focus and desire for a politically-expedient result might make us prone to use our research and writing skills to misrepresent reality....

Source

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Flawed study?

I remember hearing/reading this so called study when it first came out. I was always struck by how much it looked like an agenda driven study.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Obviously flawed study, but that's not the most interesting news here.

Why is the doctor admitting to the flaws NOW?

I wonder if perhaps a family member or close friend (or even himself) has announced their homosexuality. That would be an interesting twist.

Or perhaps he simply realized the flaw and is genuinely apologetic. If so, kudos to have the nerve to admit it.

S&F

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I was thinking that perhaps it is no longer "politically-expedient" to offer that study up as "scientific evidence."

Sad that political relevance plays so much of a role in research.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Or perhaps he simply realized the flaw and is genuinely apologetic. If so, kudos to have the nerve to admit it.

Professional integrity is a marvelous thing to see.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Professional integrity is a marvelous thing to see.

All the more so since its such a rarety

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Obviously flawed study, but that's not the most interesting news here.

Why is the doctor admitting to the flaws NOW?

I wonder if perhaps a family member or close friend (or even himself) has announced their homosexuality. That would be an interesting twist.

S&F

maybe he is simply not getting paid anymore by the gay-bashers...people got to earn a living, and people lie...2 truths that ARE undeniable

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Many people have cited his work over the years to promote gay conversion therapy, as practiced by some "Pray Away the Gay" clinics (like Marcus Bachmann's). Unfortunately, this therapy causes a LOT of problems, including depression and suicide, while not doing a thing to convert the patients. Californians are trying to ban the therapy for minors.

Source

I am glad he has come out to admit his mistake.
edit on 5/23/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

top topics

join