It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Please Explain Your Vote...How could Anyone be Re-Elected?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Let me start by saying I am a life long Independent.

I am not trying to pick a fight....I am trying to understand.

We are 15 Trillion dollars in debt. It can't be just one party's fault.

I would submit you could pick people out of the phonebook and be much better off.

Even children with their craziest ideas, would not land us in 15 Trillion dollars in debt.

How can we justify sending a single person back to Washington?

Isn't it time to clean house? If not tell me why...Cause I don't get it.

Please don't blame one party. Is any one person making a difference?

Why wouldn't electing all new Representatives be a good idea?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Yep kick them all out, from the top on down to the bottom.

A cleaning house is needed.

No more career politicians selling us all out for their own gain.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

sounds good, but impractical for governance...why?...companies and organizations want people with "experience" it's been like that for a long time. would you hire a painter with no experience?...a plumber? a tax accountant? a doctor?....there is alot more to their job than sitting in an office thinking up clever one-liners, and bashing the other party. there are skilled and manipulative lobbiests that eat newbie congressmen for lunch.
why in the hell can't they just work together and comprimise? that's what we the people should be demanding our representatives do.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

What has all that "experience" got us, may I ask?

fifteen trillion dollars, and counting in debt as a nation. $15,000,000,000,000.00.

Voting the rascals out is a very attractive idea. Followed by close oversight by us, the voters. Because if we don't exercise oversight, we'll continue to send remarkably unresponsive people to WashingtonDC.

Voting them out is only the first step. The second step is much more important.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagull
reply to post by jimmyx

What has all that "experience" got us, may I ask?

fifteen trillion dollars, and counting in debt as a nation. $15,000,000,000,000.00.

Voting the rascals out is a very attractive idea. Followed by close oversight by us, the voters. Because if we don't exercise oversight, we'll continue to send remarkably unresponsive people to WashingtonDC.

Voting them out is only the first step. The second step is much more important.

Thanks for adding the zero's...

I wasn't quite sure how many followed the 15...

Thanks

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Sometimes the zeros add to the impact... That's a whole lot of zeros, more's the pity.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

While I agree with the premise, I really hate the term "career politician." Of course they are. Who do you think you will vote in to replace them? More career politicians, that's who! Politics is a CAREER PATH!

Find me the person that is campaigning on his plan to serve one term in Congress and then call it quits. Find me one on the State level.

It's fine to want to clean house, and I agree that it is needed. Just don't expect that the person you vote to replace the "career politician" isn't a "career politician" in the making.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Exactly. It's the same as saying that you need to find a dentist that isn't a "career dentist."

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
How anyone can vote for a person that murders people for their natural resources is complete beyond me.

"He's murdering people for oil. Ending their very existence. Men, women, and children die daily because he wants their oil!"
"But, he promised me free health care! Obama 2012!"

Sickening.

/TOA

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy

While I agree with the premise, I really hate the term "career politician." Of course they are. Who do you think you will vote in to replace them? More career politicians, that's who! Politics is a CAREER PATH!

Find me the person that is campaigning on his plan to serve one term in Congress and then call it quits. Find me one on the State level.

It's fine to want to clean house, and I agree that it is needed. Just don't expect that the person you vote to replace the "career politician" isn't a "career politician" in the making.

I'm not sure what other term is applicable to them? Doctors who've never practiced medicine, but pass laws concerning medicine. Lawyers who've never, or hardly ever, set foot in a court room? The only avocation they've ever had is politics, nothing else.

I wouldn't expect the one's replacing them to be anything else but a career politician, or a wanna be career politician... That's where our responsibility as citizens, and voters comes into play. It's our job to make sure that they do exactly as we, their constituents, require. Nothing more, and certainly, nothing less.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

That's, again, our job. If we don't like what they're doing while working for us. We need to remove them from office. ...and after the replacements are in, we need to make sure that they're doing exactly what we, us, you and me, want them to do. Nothing more, or less.

That's our responsibility as citizens. Not only to ourselves, but to our children, and their children.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
reply to post by jimmyx

Exactly. It's the same as saying that you need to find a dentist that isn't a "career dentist."

Can't believe that you just compared a career politician to someone that has a career in the medical field.

You MUST be joking.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

He had to be joking...

I hope...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
it made sense to me.

How the heck can you expect to elect someone who is NOT a career politician or someone very powerful? You CAN'T!

That's why the President of the United States is one of THE MOST powerful positions in the world! You don't get there without knowing what you are doing and yes, by playing political games!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

You really can't. But that's where we, as voters and, supposedly, concerned citizens come in. We're the watchers. We're the boss. We make sure that they toe the line.

At least that's how it's supposed to work. But when at least half the eligible voters can't be bothered, we tend to get what we deserve. Which is politicians with a sense of entitlement. They suppose, and to a point they are correct, that they have carte blanche to do whatever they please.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I have always thought that Washington is a reflection of that is everything wrong within us sure we sit there and scream kick em all out, they should be fired and what not but when it comes right down to it the most people do is sit there and create threads on the subject matter(not meant as an insult).

The problem is us it always has been Washington is the beast to should be slain but in order to do that we must slay the beast within.

We are greedy and we get what we elect and we elect what we get the best government is no government at all or as damn close as possible.
edit on 25-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

sounds good, but impractical for governance...why?...companies and organizations want people with "experience" it's been like that for a long time. would you hire a painter with no experience?...a plumber? a tax accountant? a doctor?....there is alot more to their job than sitting in an office thinking up clever one-liners, and bashing the other party. there are skilled and manipulative lobbiests that eat newbie congressmen for lunch.
why in the hell can't they just work together and comprimise? that's what we the people should be demanding our representatives do.

If companies and organizations want people with "experience" how did a half term Senator become the best candidate for President of the United States?

I'm not buying your argument.

Corporations and Organizations waant people who can be "lobbied" (bribed), not those with experience. If there were two term limits on Senators and Congresspeople, they would have to figure out how to "buy" these representatives every two terms.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You are, unfortunately, correct.

It's all too easy to see what needs doing. But another to actually do the work necessary to get it done.

I guess we'll see in November...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
My point is...

At least it would take some time to get acquainted with Washington. (Office, Parking, Staff).

It has to take awhile to learn how to steal.

Unless there is the usual nepotism...

(PS. I admit I am doing nothing but complaining. I am disgusted with myself)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It boils down to the average voter in November looking at their two options and thinking, 'I really think candidate X has been there too long, but I can't possibly bring myself to vote for candidate Y because they belong to the Z party."

Not voting isn't an option to really change anything because the winner is the one with the most votes, even if it's only out of five voters in a district with 100 people.

join