It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever wonder what a "football field"-sized flying object might look like?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Dumber than a second coat of paint and a complete waste of tax payers money. Doesn't it sometimes feel like these people just build this crap because they can

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Well... it looks like this 'technology' won;t be going anywhere soon....

Air Force longs to forget it ever wanted Blue Devil airship

The Air Force is ditching it.....

I was hoping someone might have gotten pictures of the Army test... but this seems to be the swan song for blimps in the "Air" part of the military (I guess.)

The Air Force this month will dismantle and store the prototype of its $211 million Blue Devil 2 airship housed in massive steel hanger on the coast of North Carolina, reports David Axe at Wired's Danger Room blog.
In a radical departure of earlier plans and discussions, the Air Force has dropped the idea of using high-altitude surveillance airships and no longer sees a future for airships in its intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance arsenal, the story said.

Mav 6, the contractor that built Blue Devil 2, still has hopes for the project and plans to discuss a possible future for its airship with the Navy, the story said.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
Spy blimp? Isn't it a bit hard to be covert when, y'know, you're the size of a football field. And couldnt a model rocket or a single bullet bring it down?

Maybe they have perfected the stealth blimp and incorporated optical camouflage into it.

Stealth Blimp

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Invisible to radar? I don't get it... how many guerrilla operations have radar?

Anyway.. I only brought this news here to point out that a UFO enthusiast might come across this one day... and while this new stealth blimp maybe invisible to radar.... most UFO hunters aren't using radar to find them.

Cool story though
- you might want to start a thread on that in the military/aircraft Forum!
edit on 11-6-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I don't see it as very functional, but obviously the military thinks they have a use for it. Seems pretty easy to take down, even if firing randomly.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Must be such an impressive sight to see this in the air.
Didn't knew about this prior to your post . But reading the article got me somewhat excited to be honest.
I was really hoping someone would have the fortune to catch it on camera.
Well, dammit

The current model can carry 20 tons of supplies. A scaled-up version could carry hundreds of tons

Makes me wonder what size they might consider to be the maximum for this design.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

At 30,000 feet+, with active optical stealth (at a minimum you can internally illuminate at low cost with the right color and radiance for the altitude & weather), one might easily not see it.

Remember that commercial blimps are designed to be seen---that is their intended purpose.

edit on 11-6-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by pavil

Invisible to radar? I don't get it... how many guerrilla operations have radar?

The ones backed by the Pakistani military?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

The Hudson Valley Flying Wing might be the biggest UFO ship ever given a TV program.
The Triangle in Belgium was also given a TV treatment and the size was awesome as
it was directly over a large building. Both ship events had numerous witnesses and might
our best scale as to what the elite are not telling us.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mbkennel

State-sponsored would mean terrorist.. not guerrillas. Or am I mistaken?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I saw something similar flying over Dallas, TX at around 2 a.m in around 1992-1994. The surface of the object was reflective or perhaps camouflaged. The only reason that I noticed it was because a small cloud was moving along underneath the object. The cloud was moving abnormally and caught my eye since the sky was otherwise cloudless. I saw the cloud and then looked above it and saw something similar to a blimp that was reflecting the night sky. The object that I saw appeared to have a lot more windows than the one pictured in the op, perhaps more like this:
I have since thought that what I saw may have been the Bullet 580 Airship with some kind of reflective surface. Again, the only reason that I saw the blimp is because of the cloud. I don't believe that I would have noticed it if it weren't for the cloud. Although the surface appeared to reflect the night sky, I could see the distortion of its outline and movement as it flew right over my head. I watched it fly by and discussed it with my friend for a good 10+ minutes. I have always thought about how dumb it was (must have been U.S. military) that it was obviously supposed to be camouflaged in the night sky but yet the cloud that it attracted or created gave it away. It also seemed to lose some of its camouflage when it reflected the city lights. The blimp reflected a starry night sky when it was over my head but as I watched it fly away from me toward the city, its shape was lit up by the city lights that it reflected. I imagine that the kinks would have been fixed by now though...or not. Maybe the reason that the Air Force gave up on the Blue Devil airship is because of technical problems with the camouflage. You really just can't have a big blimp in combat if a flare can light it up or if it otherwise attracts or creates clouds. However, maybe the blimp that I saw had some kind of invisibility technology...

edit on 11-6-2012 by chizeled because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join