It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever wonder what a "football field"-sized flying object might look like?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I will grant you that this article is more likely to be found in any number of other forums...

But it occurred to me that I have heard, from time to time, various UFO reports that included the phrase "It was the size of a football field." And I thought, well here's an opportunity for those in this area to actually see how something like that may present itself in the sky...

Sometime in early June of this year; this giant blimp will be taking flight over Lakehurst New Jersey:

Sure, it took an extra year or so, but Northrop Grumman has finally penciled in the first flight of the giant surveillance airship it’s building for the U.S. Army. The Long Endurance Multi-Intelligence Vehicle — a football-field-size, helium-filled robot blimp fitted with sensors and data-links — should take to the air over Lakehurst, New Jersey, the first or second week of June. K.C. Brown, Jr., Northrop’s director of Army programs, crows: ”We’re about to fly the thing!”

I thought it might be useful for some sky-watchers to actually get a 'feel' for the sight of something that size in mid air.

But at a special forces industry conference here in Tampa, Northrop’s Brown surprised Danger Room with a hard date range: LEMV will lift off between June 6 and 10, he says. After a brief trial around Lakehurst, the 300-foot-long airship will motor south to Florida to be mated up with a custom-designed gondola containing the blimp’s cameras and radios.

If the gondola fits as planned and all the gear functions, the pilotless LEMV will cross the Atlantic in “early winter,” bound for “a theater” for a front-line demonstration, Brown says. We’re sure the “theater” in question is Afghanistan. If war commanders like what they see in their new giant spy blimp, the Army could order up more copies, Brown says.

Never mind airworthiness and sensor integration: The biggest danger, according to Brown, is the weather. Airships are “subject to buffeting by winds and by thunderstorms.” Operators have to plan carefully to keep their airships away from storms.

Despite airships’ checkered past, Northrop is optimistic the LEMV will survive the elements and its combat debut. The company is already looking beyond the initial Afghanistan trial. The LEMV can do more than hover and spy. It’s also a potentially useful cargo carrier. The current model can carry 20 tons of supplies. A scaled-up version could carry hundreds of tons — and at a fraction of the cost of fixed-wing airplanes.

A scaled-up version would be even bigger than this 300 foot long airship. I hope some of our members might be able to share some snapshots with us... assuming they can get close enough.

U.S. Army's Mammoth Spy Blimp

edit on 23-5-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I am wondering how such a ship will avoid enemy fire. And what happens when it gets hit? Does it blow up like most blimps? Talk about a sitting duck!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
A "spy" blimp the size of a football field?? That makes as much sense as a fat asthmatic ninja.

"Hey Bob, I think we're being watched."

"Really, Frank? How can you tell?"

::Frank points skyward::

edit on 23-5-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Spy blimp? Isn't it a bit hard to be covert when, y'know, you're the size of a football field. And couldnt a model rocket or a single bullet bring it down?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
How much does it cost? Why was it so hard to use tech that was essentially developed 100 years ago?
USA! USA!
edit on 23-5-2012 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I think this report is just full of hot air
, seriously though why do they even need something like this when they have drones and satellites all pointing down at Earth . Like another poster said its a sitting duck and a pretty good terrorist target .

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by shambles84
I think this report is just full of hot air
, seriously though why do they even need something like this when they have drones and satellites all pointing down at Earth . Like another poster said its a sitting duck and a pretty good terrorist target .

because the MIC has to keep making things to make money. Blimps haven't been built for the military of late so it is an untapped revenue stream to restart. Wonder what the advertising material prepared for the Army read like. Bet it was a hoot.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I didn't mean for this to become a discussion about surveillance, and tactics... just wanted people to know where to look and when to experience the "football field" sized aircraft....

But I really have no idea of how high this thing will be flying; so as for it being a target.. I suppose it depends on how well-equipped anyone with hostile intentions are, and whether they can target it in the first place.

Also, since it is helium-filled, we needn't worry about any Hindenburg reenactments...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
How much does it cost? Why was it so hard to use tech that was essentially developed 100 years ago?
USA! USA!
edit on 23-5-2012 by dashen because: (no reason given)

To put it concisely.... $500 million....

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Would the football field that the object is the size of include the end-zone, or just between the 100-yard markers? And would the best seats still be on the 50-yard line?
edit on 23-5-2012 by Aleister because: ed

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Evidently, I may have offered this up to the wrong forum. Apologies.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
A five hundred million dollar blimp to spy on people. You know this will be too hard to resist using at home...........on us. My prediction is that it will not last a week in theater, if it even makes it there. If I had even one plane in my air force, I would be gunning for it.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
My interest is in this being brought to the private sector. Around six years ago there was talk of the company Worldwide Aeros Corporation developing a sort of "cruise ship in the sky." It was being developed based on "technology from the cancelled DARPA WALRUS HULA airship." - Wiki

A football sized airship would be waaaay more comfy than a cramped passenger jet. Personally, I'd rather travel more comfortably than get to my destination quicker.

www.popsci.com...
edit on 5/23/2012 by DiabolusFireDragon because: Faulty Link

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
I am wondering how such a ship will avoid enemy fire. And what happens when it gets hit? Does it blow up like most blimps? Talk about a sitting duck!

It won't "blow up" because Helium is an inert gas. The Hindenburg was filled with hydrogen gas, which is highly combustible.

The blimp will likely have many, many internal "cells" so it can survive some degree of failure.

I doubt they are any more susceptible to failure than say an airplane, which requires the integrity of its flying surfaces.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
Spy blimp? Isn't it a bit hard to be covert when, y'know, you're the size of a football field.

Apparently not. Just think of all of the people claiming to see other objects in the sky this big when no one else around them does. You know... ...the aliens.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Evidently, I may have offered this up to the wrong forum. Apologies.

It's easier to herd cats than get the response you want in this forum!

I find the 'big as a football pitch' descriptions interesting. UFOs get compared to this and dinosaurs get compared to buses. People love to be descriptive. Makes you wonder what they said before pitches and buses were invented.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
A football field size object would be hard to hit at normal operating altitudes. I don't think bullets would have the reach to get to it and being a blimp most missiles wouldn't lock on to it.
Also the farther away something gets the smaller it seems to be. I for one would like to see what something that large actually looks like in the air. This thing dwarfs everything else I have seen in the air, but sadly I won't be anywhere near where it will be flying.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

this blimp was mentioned on a docu on ied's in afghanistan late last year. they did state it would be the size of a football field but didn't show the craft, just talked about uses, one of which was for mine detection with the possible use of an emitting array on the underside to detect sub surface anomalies.

wonder if it comes in clear?

f.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Ha! I wonder if that explains the Helium shortage that this other thread was talking about a few days ago..

Helium shortage a ballooning issue..

Note the second post on the thread - the poster was told that suppliers can no longer get helium because the government (US) is buying it all up. Guess they've got a few more of these in the pipelines then. Personally, I think seeing something that size hovering in the sky above me would totally creep me out.

peace
J

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Cloaking capability conveniently left out of that article.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join