It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we worry about a solar flare, or Al Qaeda destroying our Electrical Grid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Just read a article stating Al Qaeda is preparing for an Electronic Jihad.
www.cnn.com...

What does it mean to US?

First of all what is Jihad?

a holy war waged on behalf of Islam as a religious duty; also : a personal struggle in devotion to Islam especially involving spiritual discipline

Muslims are known for suicidal attacks, which should tell us they are not afraid to die.

It mentions in the article they could knock the electrical grid off and cyber attacks against the world government.

First of all is this scenario really likely to occur? Do Al Qaeda have that capability to do such thing?

Yesterday they caught a British bomber, who surgically planted a device in his body.

From what it seems we cant trust no one this days.

edit on 23-5-2012 by storm2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

"Congress needs to act now to protect the American public from a possible devastating attack on our electric grid, water delivery systems or financial networks, for example."

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by storm2012

Al Qaeda is only capable of occupying troops and resources while ducking from cave to cave. I'm not saying they're completely inept, but the complexity of some of the things they've been accused of, as well as what we're now "preventing" comes off as just another excuse for tax payers to flip the bill on the security of privately owned power companies that wield, well, alot of power.

It's not as drastic, but kinda like how you get all that junk mail. Well, you, as a tax payer, pay for the postage and shipping of that ad, most to all which you could do without. That doesn't include the mailman and the fuel required to transport it to you. That doesn't included the space it takes up in the dump. All that, and the sanitation worker's salary too, all on your dime, while they profit from anyone dumb enough to buy the message they sent you. Does that make sense, or did I fly off to left field, re-reading it, I can't even tell. o.o;;

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lasr1oftheJedi

Al Qaeda is only capable of occupying troops and resources while ducking from cave to cave. I'm not saying they're completely inept, but the complexity of some of the things they've been accused of, as well as what we're now "preventing" comes off as just another excuse for tax payers to flip the bill on the security of privately owned power companies that wield, well, alot of power.

It's not as drastic, but kinda like how you get all that junk mail. Well, you, as a tax payer, pay for the postage and shipping of that ad, most to all which you could do without. That doesn't include the mailman and the fuel required to transport it to you. That doesn't included the space it takes up in the dump. All that, and the sanitation worker's salary too, all on your dime, while they profit from anyone dumb enough to buy the message they sent you. Does that make sense, or did I fly off to left field, re-reading it, I can't even tell. o.o;;

you might be right, but what I think is they are definitely planning a devastating attack , worse than 911. I think they are really pissed off bec US also killed their leader Osama bin laden. They will come with force and take revenge at US. Its their law. Jihad is a holy war and remember they are not afraid to die. They can and will attack in the near future. They are some smart people , but we have to be more smarter. All they are doing everyday is planning a attack and they will plan it really carefully. They have nothing to loose, they belive attacking USA will only support what it says in the quaran.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
IMHO of course... Unless we decide to attack Iran along side Israel... I dont think thats the primary threat right now. Our largest threat is our own idiocy.. our infrastructure is pathetic and crumbling. I figure we will destroy our own access to the electrical grid before sabotage or solar flares.
Example: Even a moderate earthquake in the St Louis area will cripple the entire area due to the infrastructure that has never been properly or adequately maintained or updated. The projection is YEARS until it would be fixed.... and thats partially fixed. Like a lot of things, we will destroy ourselves before someone else does. We wont even mention the other things we rely on like water and sewage.. those systems are already failing and we have been playing patch it and keep quiet for yrs around here.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Osama said the best way to beat the US is the same way they did it to Russia, which did lay the bear to sleep for some time, and that is starting a war on their soil, not ours. They want us fighting over there, wasting resources. Meanwhile, we waste even more resources protecting ourselves from the boogy man.

This quote is pretty concise on the point, here's the full artical: www.washingtonpost.com...

“He has compared the United States to the Soviet Union on numerous occasions — and these comparisons have been explicitly economic,” Gartenstein-Ross argues in a Foreign Policy article. “For example, in October 2004 bin Laden said that just as the Arab fighters and Afghan mujaheddin had destroyed Russia economically, al Qaeda was now doing the same to the United States, ‘continuing this policy in bleeding America to the point of bankruptcy.’ ”

I'm not saying Al Queda isn't capable of an attack on US soil, I just believe they committed the 9/11 one. Well, I take that back, I think Osama had something to do with it, and he is Al Queda and all that. Those were his boys on that plane. All saudis. But we wouldn't dare go into Saudi Arabia.

Bottom line, we know what the real moves and shakes are inside of Al Queda, they're a dummy organization, designed to keep america scared in a world where we no longer fight "wars" with nations, but "keep the peace" against the "terrorists". It's sad how accurate the movie, "Wag the Dog" really is. But it wouldn't be TPTB first time to brag about how "this is what we do/did and there's nothing you can really do about it but watch."

So, I worry more about my own government (not the majority, just that minority that doesn't seem to care anymore. The futher you are from local politics, the more corrupt most all become. So obvious, I refer to the big wigs, not the town councilman) destroying an electrical grid and blaming it on someone else than I am actually someone else doing it!

We put up with all this surveillance and security, and all they can do is call for more. We can read the date off a dime from space, but it took 10 years to find one guy who made videos yearly. And then when we do, no body. Oh, and those that killed him and brought the body in, yeah, they're now "dead" too in a helicopter crash.

I suppose no one told the military industrial complex "Wag the Dog" was not an instruction manual. It's just sad really. But worse than that, it's a waste of your money too.

As a nation, we are only what we chose to invest in ourselves to be.

Right now, we are a nation afraid to face the obvious malpractices taking place. The obvious b.s. and double talk. One willing to feed the "war beast" until oil companies record profits are at levels that actually start to upset people (it will never happen, but should have a long time ago, IMHO.)

the first quarter of 2011, ... Exxon posted $10.65 billion in profits.

And this was considered a "down" quarter. 10 and a half billion dollars...So there's not a penny per gallon these guys can shave off, right?

Well, right now they can. After all, it's election time. Every cycle is the same.

And the power companies are no diffrent from oil companies. No doubt it would be cheeper if taxpayer bought that fancy new "anti-terrorist" gear instead of themselves from the prices they charge the customer, they're hurtin for cash, right?

G.E.’s Strategies Let It Avoid Taxes Altogether: www.nytimes.com...

So bad they're now tax excempt. ^.~

We designed, given the commission to if you will, to be a nation of the proud, the brave, the free. Not the deflated, scared and subjected.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think the sun would be a bigger threat than them.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
I think the sun would be a bigger threat than them.

well remember this , a solar flare cant kill us, al qaeda can kill. Sun is a god, Al Qaeda is evil, so I consider al qaeda the only threat.

new topics

top topics

join