It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eden: The Double Sided Coin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Well, what I present is my interpretation of what had occurred in Eden.

Firstly, I do not believe in god or a creator. I do not how everything has come to be but I do believe that knowledge and the mysteries will eventually give us the answers, but that another theory for another day.

You see Eden was a place of paradise and Adam and Eve were innocent due to a lack of awareness. As they were not aware, they did not understand existence therefore, they ate from the tree of life (Immortality). Immortality due to a complete lack of knowledge - ignorance.

God had told Adam - "but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

God was saying that if Adam ate from the tree of knowledge, he would gain awareness and therefore be aware of existence resulting in being "aware" of death. He would surely "knowingly" die.

So basically gods’ argument was that If Adam and eve both blindly obeyed god (and I say ‘blindly’ because though they could have known what they were doing due to a lack of knowledge), then they would live forever through ignorance. But if they disobeyed him and ate from the tree of knowledge then they would die “knowingly” due to understanding their existence. You see god could not have explained to Adam and eve why they had to blindly obey him because had god explained to Adam and eve, he would have been feeding them the tree of knowledge himself.

The serpent on the other hand was saying - “You surely will not die! “For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

What the serpent was saying is that by eating the fruit, man would no longer be ignorant and therefore be aware of his existence. And also “you will be like god” (awareness, understanding – “godly” element”). But this came at a cost.

Swap immortality with knowledge

or

Remain immortal but at the cost of ignorance.

But you see, Adam and eve could not have understood this until they ate from the tree as they did not have knowledge in good or evil, or what it had meant to have had their eyes ‘opened’.

So what then made Adam and eve eat from the tree?

Most possibly ‘curiosity’.

As we know; curiosity killed the ‘cat’. Or did it kill the ‘act’. LOL...

anyway, the two sides of the coin identified in Eden:

Swap immortality with knowledge. (The serpents ambition for man)

or

Remain immortal but at the cost of ignorance. (Gods’ ambition for man)

Either way, it was for man to make that choice.

edit on 23-5-2012 by toocoolnc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I said almost the same thing in some other thread.
If they were innocent and had no knowledge of good/ bad or consequences, it would have been impossible to resist. Just because god said so or gave an order doesn't mean they understood what he was saying.
Also one of my arguments is that god who apparently knows past present and future, because he is the creator, would have known that eve would eat the fruit.
If he didn't know, then he is not as omniscient as he makes himself out to be, which makes me doubt the whole creator thing. And if he did know, he must have planned to chuck the two out of eden and make them suffer.
The whole thing makes no sense. Maybe if you'll take it as a metaphor but I was told that people who believe, believe it as a given truth.
I find it quite callous TBH to play such a cruel joke on innocent minds. To me the snake is the only one that makes sense, probably feeling sorry for those enslaved pets, trying to tell them that god is a keeper and not a father.
Its the Matrix all over. Red pill blue pill, take the consequences and see that you are being treated like a hamster in a cage or live in idiotic and boring bliss.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by toocoolnc

You are confusing. Your "summary" does not match your introduction at all. You say you don't believe in God, yet you speak of him and the serpent in a context of actuality.
edit on 23-5-2012 by Turkenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Turkenstein

Because I believe it is all metaphorical.. I should have elaborated earlier..

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Hecate666

Yep,

Two sides to the coin

And I believe that it is all a metaphor of how and why knowledge came to be. God and the serpent were metaphors. When man gained intellect, they were banished from the Garden of Eden and the tree of life (immortality)

It basically works like this. If man had stayed ignorant then he would have remained immortal.

If he gained intellect then he would no longer have been immortal due to awareness. As to why Adam and eve were denied access to the tree of life

But initially, it was mans choice to make. And I believe curiosity led us in the direction of knowledge in intellect.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
What I believe the serpent was saying when it said “you will be like god” is that through knowledge and intellect, man would eventually come to understand their existence and how and why they came to be. (This may be identified as 'god', 'enlightenment', but may possibly take millions or billions of years... I believe that this is what TPTB are trying to achieve.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
We can look at this from another angle; maybe God, initially, wanted us to live forever and gain knowledge from experience.

Experiencing something gives you a totally different approach, and knowledge of it, compared to learning something from a book.

When Adam and Eve listened to the serpent, they lost the chance at both; that is being immortal and full of useful knowledge. Now we are mortal, and wonder what's what about what.

I don't see this as big step forward.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by toocoolnc

Everyone overthinks this issue. Whoever god is in the garden he is just trying to tell Adam and Eve that they have to eat things they have evolved to eat and they hadn't yet evolved yet to eating certain things. This would lead to a lowering of lifespan which is evident in history of peoples decreasing lifespan in the old testament. The tree of knowledge is what caused problems with the humanoids before that which led to their extinction in various ways. You don't have to be "poisoned" to death by foods. If you eat foods that make you crabby you might start a war. If you eat foods that make you greedy you might get killed stealing something or kill others to get what they have. If you eat things that make you horney than sexually transmitted diseases and the consequences can overtake society. We are what we eat and most poisoning is slow and causes mistakes or risky behavior to cause our demise. Many foods negatively effect our common sense.

I don't believe the "God" and "Devil" in the Garden of Eden were the creator and Satan, maybe an ancient doctor and a friend who were survivors of some series of events. I believe there is a creator(God) or structure to the universe and I think the being in the Garden of Eden was trying to tell Adam and Eve that. Maybe they saw This guy as their creator because it appears that he broke apart some twins. This being was a little irked at them and his buddy for not listening and sent them out into the world because he was disappointed that mankind could not change. I sometimes feel like kicking my kids out of my life myself because of their stupidity but I cannot let them go completely astray. God did not abandon Adam and Eve, he visited them according to the bible from time to time.

What would God think of the societies now adays? We once again run the risk of extinction. Will Everything start over after we all die? Is it time for the wheel of life to go back to 12 again and time to reboot? I see reference to this in other writings. Who will be the new gods after this happens, survivors that train the children to do their bidding. I See too many problems with our destruction of the earths environment to justify our technology.

Who was right, god or the devil? Righteousness or deceit and greed? Maybe belief in god is a pipe dream but I believe in God because I want to believe in the good. In the near future mankind will be cleansed form this world, the fleas will be killed.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

God and the devil were just giving their perspectives on what actions to take. As for the actions, they were up to Adam and eve. Both god and the devil had only the influence of speech. The reason as to why Adam and eve chose the devils perspective was out of curiosity and ignorance. I’m not saying that ignorance was a good thing but had they had chosen not to eat from the tree and remain obedient; they would have been immortal out of a lack of awareness of their existence. The price they paid for knowledge was the awareness of death. That “they would surely (knowingly) die”.

top topics

join