It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Searching for info on a story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
A while back I read a story about a family way back when that lived on a farm. Supposedly, one day, a rope appeared from the sky and hung over their yard. There is more to the story but I cannot remember. I have searched Google a few different times and turned up nothing. I did a search on here and also turned up nothing. This is kind of annoying because I'm usually pretty good at tracking things down, but this alludes me.

Have any of you heard of this story? Anyone have a direction to point me in? I'd like to reread it and attempt to research it more but I have nothing to go on.

The story is meant to be a true case, but obviously sounds ridiculous which is why I want to attempt more research.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about,but it sounds like it to me. Scroll down for synopsis.

(I have no idea if there is some certain way you're supposed to insert a link, so I am just going to copy/paste, and cross my fingers)

www.thefreelibrary.com...
edit on 23-5-2012 by MojaveBurning because: more info

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Was it perhaps the Livingston Farm Poltergeist?

One afternoon. Livingston saw a man stopped in the road with a wagon. The teamster demanded that Livingston remove the rope that was stretched across the roadway. When he said there was no rope, the driver angrily slashed at it with his knife.... but the blade passed through nothing. Another wagon came along at the same time and this driver also saw the rope but he couldn't cut it either. Finally Livingston convinced them to move on.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
@ MojaveBurning

That is more of a fictional story someone has made up. What I read was more like a "case of the paranormal" that was reported to be true.

@ Gaspode

That isn't the story I'm talking about, but interesting none the less! I haven't read that one before. Thanks for trying!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
You have me interested in the story now.

Bump to keep active for a while.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelkhall

I wish I could remember! All I remember is that it was a family farm, some mysterious rope appeared from the sky, and it seems like they heard a noise from where the rope was coming from. But I cannot remember details, or the ending.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I know it's not quite what you were looking for OP, but when I read your post I couldn't help but think of something I read in Jacques Vallee's Passport to Magonia:

1270 A. D. Bristol England: "In Otto Imperialia, Book I, Chapter XIII, Gervase of Tillbury wrote about an aerial craft over a city. The craft caught an anchor in a church steeple and a occupant of the ship scampered down a ladder to free the device. The man was stoned

Source

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall
You have me interested in the story now.

Bump to keep active for a while.

yep same i want to know as well.

bump bump

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Is it this?

CALDWELL MYSTERY THREAD
ONE OF NEW JERSEY'S MOST BAFFLING MYSTERIES came in the form of a silver "thread" that was suspended for days over the house of Mr. and Mrs. A.P. Smith of 85 Forest St. in the quiet suburb of Caldwell in Essex County.

The "thread" was first reported on Sunday, Aug. 2, 1970 by neighbors who said it appeared to be hanging from the sky. Neither the police nor local townsfolk who came to see it after being reported in the Caldwell Progress could figure out what it was or where it was coming from.

To some, it appeared to be a giant strand hanging from the clouds. Mrs. Smith thought it might be a direct line from the Martians. Others theorized it was a line dropped from a blimp that was cruising the West Essex skies. www.weirdnj.com

OiO
edit on 23-5-2012 by OneisOne because: typo!

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Oh my gosh i wonder where the sample is now? DuPont... dig it up and do some new tests,
maybe with our technology we could identify what it is made of.

hmm it could be in anyone of their products they manufacture
DuPont Products
edit on 23/5/12 by Whateva69 because: link added

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

I think so! The time period isn't as old as I thought, and no sounds, but it sure seems to be the one I read.
Thank you very much!

ETA:

Weird NJ has an update. I guess some kids grabbed hold of the thread with a fishing pole and drug down a bunch of it. A sample was sent to Dupont for analysis. The people at Weird NJ ran into one of the kids, now grown.

Link

Also, here is an except from a book. It says Dupont had decided it was similar to fishing string, but hollow inside.

Lin k
edit on 23-5-2012 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne
Is it this?

CALDWELL MYSTERY THREAD
ONE OF NEW JERSEY'S MOST BAFFLING MYSTERIES came in the form of a silver "thread" that was suspended for days over the house of Mr. and Mrs. A.P. Smith of 85 Forest St. in the quiet suburb of Caldwell in Essex County.

The "thread" was first reported on Sunday, Aug. 2, 1970 by neighbors who said it appeared to be hanging from the sky. Neither the police nor local townsfolk who came to see it after being reported in the Caldwell Progress could figure out what it was or where it was coming from.

To some, it appeared to be a giant strand hanging from the clouds. Mrs. Smith thought it might be a direct line from the Martians. Others theorized it was a line dropped from a blimp that was cruising the West Essex skies. www.weirdnj.com

OiO
edit on 23-5-2012 by OneisOne because: typo!

If it was dropped by a blimp it would hardly have remained as stationary as long it did, plus the "blimp" would have been readily visible overhead.
I can't believe the neighborhood just let this "thread" be there for so long, and not made any attempt to find out where it was coming from and what it was "attached" to.
Sorry, but I call urban legend on this.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I've seen a lot of weird things in NJ. I grew up there, doesn't surprise me this takes place there. I had a phantom car that passed my house nightly when living down the street from a sharp curve (where many vehicles have crashed and at least one driver met his demise) and it always set off the motion light in the front of our house. No other vehicle did not even suv's, and this car was a compact car sports type car. It was black. I seen the hanging tree in Newport at midnight and saw the hanging figure phantoms. (It's on Weird NJ site too maybe idk, it may be on shadowlands website). I saw a graveyard light that never worked unless my friend passed it and it would immediately go on. My home had some oddities. The same one the car always passed (At approximately midnight or 1 am every night). Gosh there are just too many things to remember and list. NJ is weird. Very.
edit on 23-5-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

It was in Shadowlands website scroll to Cedarville/Fairton/Newport:
New Jersey Haunted Places

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
um i think i found something interesting

Patents DuPont... hollow yarn

edit on 24/5/12 by Whateva69 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by QueSeraSera

It may very well be an urban legend. I don't even care, I just think it is a neat story.

new topics

top topics

join