It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Preppers: Sony Introduces 4,000mAh Hand-Cranked Portable Battery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Pretty interesting gadget charger ...

The 4,000 mAh hand-cranked USB charger works great in a pinch, requiring only 130 minutes of crankin’ to charge a device to full capacity.

Source

Also saw this in the same article ...

Start a fire, put on a PowerPot, plug in your device and you’re all set to go.

Source

Provided you have an android smart phone (not knocking the iphone never had one) and one of these two devices to sustain power you can have some useful utilities even if all service is lost. AM/FM radio, compass, downloaded survival guides etc etc.
edit on 23-5-2012 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

requiring only 130 minutes of crankin’

Only? My friend has an old hand cranked torch and it only takes like 5 minutes to charge the battery.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Most likely because its a lower mAh battery than 4,000mAh. A quick google search showed a solar/handcrank flashlight/radio combo using only a 450mAh battery, would suspect just the flashlight would use even less juice. Certainly 4000mAh takes longer to fully charge ...
edit on 23-5-2012 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I am liking the powerpot. Wonder if you could set it up to distil water and power up the laptop for those survival guides in PDF. It says that it has a socket for USB as well as car charger, does this mean that an inverter is required to plug in "standard usa plugs"?

Boiling water to generate electricity without a turbine, I love it!

--------------------------------------
The Power Pot Homepage

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
You can make a Bike powered battery charger for cheaper than this sony crank and then you learn about electrical systems and get to customize it for your home. Plus it breaks guess what, you'll know how to fix it, stop buying what you can learn to make today!

Buying everything you need may seem reasonable, but I see it as buying fish, instead of learning how to fish.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Moneyisgodlifeisrented

Good point and totally agree, although the hand crank usb charger or powerpot is a little more portable than a bike powered battery charger.

Originally posted by Skada
It says that it has a socket for USB as well as car charger, does this mean that an inverter is required to plug in "standard usa plugs"?

Probably, yes. From their site I don't see any option for standard plugs.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
very true portable it is not, but also, portable you do not want to be during a survival situation, yes maybe to get to said spot, but your going to want to stay and keep to the best source of water / shelter / wildlife. Animals will come to you, but if you move too much you increase chances of being found out, injured, killed or leaving a trail.

you can fold some stantionary bikes and store under your bed, some even have the means to come off the stationary mounts and be used as a bike...

Possibilities are endless, why not make a RV powered by 3 people riding in a bike in the back lol. But roads would turn into something outta mad max.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
A 100 bucks to run a 48 watt lite bulb? ehhh...
4000(milli amp hours) is really 4 amps. If a dc load is assumed (like all your major mobile appliances) then this formula gives 48 watts as the available power for 1 hour. Geez... what does a laptop run on again?

DC amps to watts calculation formula:

The power P in watts is equal to the current I in amps, times the voltage V in volts:
P(W) = I(A) × V(V)
So watts are equal to amps times volts:
watt = amp × volt
or
W = A × V
www.rapidtables.com...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Err you know you can just buy a solar charger right?

Solar bags, solar jackets.....

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

Thank you for this info.
I have a hand crank/solar/ac/dc radio and I have a solar phone charger but I do think I will purchase on of these.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Your very welcome, not counting my intro this is my first thread and I am glad someone found it useful

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
I am liking the powerpot. Wonder if you could set it up to distil water and power up the laptop for those survival guides in PDF. It says that it has a socket for USB as well as car charger, does this mean that an inverter is required to plug in "standard usa plugs"?

Boiling water to generate electricity without a turbine, I love it!

The Power Pot Homepage

In regards to the survival PDF'd you mention.

correct me if Im wrong but can you put pdf files on a kindle book reading tablet. (the black and white kind)
I would think that a e-reader would take MUCH less power to operate than a laptop there for needing less charging. Hell, you might even be able to charge it with a solar charger.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Most e-cigs these days have 900mah batteries and last about a day or less.

A folding USB solar panel with 800mah can charge a phone or any other small device in about 1.5 hrs.

While you do something else beside crank all your critical calories away for two hours plus.

I keep an eneloop batt set with C and D size sleeves.

If you dont know what eneloops are then google and learn.

A 4 pack of AA batts is = to 6,000 AA batteries. Or about a pallet full.

Also you can get the chargers in both USB and wall plug models.

If you order a 2 amp USB car lighter plug...if you happen to find a car with a dead batt that wont start you can vacuum out the remaining juice into your eneloops.
edit on 23-5-2012 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

Thanks for the info, I will certainly look into it. Is handy to know what is available out there to charge stuff

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moneyisgodlifeisrented
You can make a Bike powered battery charger for cheaper than this sony crank and then you learn about electrical systems and get to customize it for your home. Plus it breaks guess what, you'll know how to fix it, stop buying what you can learn to make today!

Buying everything you need may seem reasonable, but I see it as buying fish, instead of learning how to fish.

how

can you show me an easy tutorial?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tazkven
reply to post by Shadowalker

Thanks for the info, I will certainly look into it. Is handy to know what is available out there to charge stuff

I heard they will release a newer version of eneloops that will take 2,000 charges.

I have batt holders for 4,6,8 batts. By adding and subtracting the various holders you can produce all different voltages. Also have a 30 device adapter set. I can charge from the flex solar panel just about every battery device as well as use the eneloops in the C an D sleeves to power pretty much anything out there. At home I have replaced all batteries with eneloops including the mag lights and lanterns.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

You can get USB charger dynamos and solar modules and simliar things galore on aliexpress.com.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
They are making woodstove generators that put out 50 watts. Just feed the woodstove once every couple hours and you can light your house with LED lights. A 50 watt solar cell for backup and it's not so bad.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Should prove useful there are so many green devices, which are perfect for situations that make electronic devices valued
I posted a link to an affordable hand crank radio and this could be a life saver for anyone practicing preparedness.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join